JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. This Day You Will Be with Me in Paradise (Luke 23:43)

Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

The second bandit may be condemned to death, but he has not lost his faith, for he asks, "Don't you fear God?" To stand by and participate in such an unrighteous act as to execute an innocent man is an impious, sinful act. The second brigand refuses to desert his sense of right and wrong. "Then he said, 'Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.'" A fellow condemned man, looks to the center cross and sees not another dying man, but the Messiah himself. He understands that Jesus is not an impostor and that he will still receive the Kingdom that belongs to the Messiah. He confessed his sins, "We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve" (Luke 23:41). He repents maybe not verbally but in his heart. His repentance and hope prompt his plea for mercy, "Remember me...."

Because of his faith, the thief received a promise that he will have a home in the Kingdom (presence with Christ in paradise!). "Jesus answered him, 'I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.'" (Luke 23:43).

It must have meant a great deal to find a believer, and a very strong believer because Jesus was often surrounded by unbelievers. Even His disciples themselves often exhibited "little faith." Jesus is amazed at the man: "I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel" (Luke 7:9).

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

This person understands who Jesus was in those times. He knows that a great injustice was done by the Jewish people of that day. He did not fall prey to the words of everyone else around him. He understands the truth even though he did not live by his beliefs.

The thief received eternal life in paradise with Jesus. He obtained forgiveness for all of his sons.

I think that Jesus was very happy with this thief. He saw into the heart of this man and knew that all His suffering was for a real purpose. That He was really going to be helping true believers gain eternal life.

This person understands who Jesus was in those times. He knows that a great injustice was done by the Jewish people of that day. He did not fall prey to the words of everyone else around him. He understands the truth even though he did not live by his beliefs.

The thief received eternal life in paradise with Jesus. He obtained forgiveness for all of his sons.

I think that Jesus was very happy with this thief. He saw into the heart of this man and knew that all His suffering was for a real purpose. That He was really going to be helping true believers gain eternal life.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief�s faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

The thief's faith is so astonishing in this situation, because he knew he was being punished and dying for his sins. He may of heard of Jesus or seen him perform miracles. At any rate he must believe Jesus is the messiah.

This day suffering with Christ on the cross the thief received eternal salvation and would be in paradise with Jesus.

This believing thief was probably a reassurance to Jesus that at least someone believed in him and was suffering on hos cross like Christ, albeit Christ disciples all ran off and hid themselves with exception on John.    

• 1 month later...

(Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation?

The second bandit may be condemned to death, but he has not lost his faith, for he asks, "Don't you fear God?" To stand by and participate in such an unrighteous act as to execute an innocent man is an impious, sinful act. The second brigand refuses to desert his sense of right and wrong.

What did the thief receive that day?

Did the thief confess his sins? Yes. "We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve" (Luke 23:41). Does the thief repent? Not verbally, but yes, I think he did. His repentance and hope prompt his plea for mercy, "Remember me...." Jesus promised the believing thief that he will be with Jesus in heaven "today."

What do you think this meant to Jesus?

The centurion and the thief on the cross were both prize students of Jesus. But each has great faith, and each, I am sure, brings joy to Jesus' heart.

When mostly everyone else present no longer believed that Jesus was the Messiah, here was one that had tremendous faith & belief.

The thief received salvation,

I believe it may have strengthened Jesus during these final moments because can you imagine how it must have felt for Jesus to be separated from the Father. That would be worse than any physical pain.

(Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

• The thief's faith is astounding in this situation because he recognizes himself deserving to die but not the Messiah.  When he sees the Messiah dying, he understand that he is not an imposter and that he will still receive the Kingdom that belongs to the Messiah.
  • Because the thief believed and had faith, he was saved.
  • It meant to Jesus that he would not die on the cross alone. 

I believe the thief faith is so astounding because here he is nailed on the cross, enduring a lot of pain and probably fear too. But, the thief believed Jesus Christ to be God's Son, the Messiah Jesus Christ. In his last moments the thief wants forgiveness and Jesus said, "today you will be with me in paradise". Jesus must have really felt good because here is a common criminal dying for his crime and still wanted Jesus to remember him. That is so awesome. God gave Jesus someone so He wouldn't be lonely. Both Christ and the thief had each other day great day on the cross.

In rebuking his disrespectful compatriot, the 2nd thief had demarcated their classification, as malefactors who deserved the punishment meted out - a sort of open confession of his own guilt. Then something un-thought off happened - he had Jesus on the pedestal, by saying, “But this man has done nothing wrong.” Remember Jesus saying, “Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven “ (Matt 10:32).

Well the best guess would be that in spite of his unworthiness the 2nd thief must have witnessed Jesus preaching a number of times, sometime earlier – this thief, knew who Jesus was and the message of salvation Jesus preached - it must have been in God’s plan – that somehow he’d be crucified with Jesus and give the Lord some consolation in His dying moments with his words. The thief must have heard Jesus preaching that believing is a work - "This is the work of God - that you believe in Him whom He sent"(John6:29). And at that point of time, he came to be aware that only Jesus could save his unworthy soul.

For all he was, the thief’s words replicated repentance and his confession of his guilt confirmed he had faith. “You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only” (James 2:24). The thief in confessing his guilt and affirming that Jesus “the way, truth and the life”(John 14:6) proved by his action that it is not feasible to be saved without works.

For his faith, the 2nd thief received the promised salvation - “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.” (Luke 23:43) Oh! What a gift – for his petition, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom” (Luke23:42). God will always reward those who put their faith in Him. “Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that comets to God must believe that He is, and that He rewards them that diligently seek Him.” (Hebr 11:6)

The devil was really glad that everything was going its way because Jesus was faced with humiliation of the highest degree by being numbered with two malefactors or rather common thieves. But the evil one was unaware that it was unknowingly yielding to the POWER of CHRIST, because Jesus was fulfilling a 700 year old prophesy of Isaiah (Is 53). Again, when the thief repented, Jesus demonstrated HIS POWER in saving a soul from burning forever in the flames of hell.

• 10 months later...

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief�s faith so astounding in this situation?

Because he did not react the same as the crowd. With everybody shouting and insulting Jesus it would have been easy to just fall in with the crowd, like the one thief. He must have had conviction in his heart that Jesus was innocent and actually who He claimed to be.

Grace,

Heaven holds a great big party when even one sinner is saved, I do think it brought a smile to his heart.

• 1 month later...

The dying thief on the cross had great faith in Christ. The thief might have heard about Christ,His Sermons, His Miracles,feeding the multitudes,raising the dead,healing the sick,cleansing the lepers. The thief about to die realised his past sinful life no hope of entering heaven witnessed Christ praying for those who were crucifying Him. The thief recognised Jesus as Messaiah and was convinced that Christ is the only way to God, the only one who can give him place in paradise.

The thief received forgiveness of sins,salvation and eternal life.

The purpose of Jesus coming into this world and dying on the cross is being accomplished and that purpose of saving the sinners is continuing till today. Praise God.

• 6 months later...

The thief’s faith is so astounding in this situation because he is on the cross being crucified for what he done wrong. He realized that Jesus was being crucified because of his faith to God. Jesus granted the thief would go to heaven that day. This meant to Jesus that He had just saved another soul.

• 5 months later...

This man probably heard about Jesus, but he was not a follower .When the disciples fled in Jesus's darkest hour this man displayed the faith that Jesus had been teaching all along.

The thief entered heaven with Jesus.

Because God is Holy he cannot look on sin,so He could not look at his son on the cross. I am sure in God's magnificence he provided someone on the cross who was a companion to Jesus.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2009 at 8:24 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

'Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

1. His faith IS astounding, given that he may have had no previous knowledge of or dealings with Jesus....his faith seems to be based totally on his observation of Jesus' during their hours together side by side  in their agony and he was convinced that Jesus indeed is God!

2. The thief received forgiveness of all sin, and eternal life, and the comfort of Gods' Presence beside him unto death...and beyond. 

3. I love this question! It caused me to realize that the thief's faith was a gift of comfort to Jesus! After all of the rejection by those who should have recognized their Messiah, and the ridicule and taunting by those at the foot of the cross and the other thief who railed at Jesus,....to experience the joy of a new believer must have been a huge comfort and for Him. 

I find the thief’s faith astounding because we would never associate a condemned criminal with so much faith. We assume that people who commit crimes do not have faith in Jesus.

That day the thief received forgiveness and eternal life just in the nick of time. He made it into heaven at the last moment.

That day Jesus received much needed encouragement. He must have felt that all that he was suffering was worth it, especially since we know that there is rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents, And we often hear that if it was only for one person he would have still died.

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation?

The thief recognizes Jesus as God.  His faith was revealed when he asked Jesus to remember him in paradise. Did he confess his sins? Yes. "We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve" (Luke 23:41). Does he repent? Not verbally, but yes, I think he did. His repentance and hope prompt his plea for mercy, "Remember me...." 

The thief received love, mercy, compassion, and a promise that he will be with Jesus in paradise, because of his faith in the Messiah on the cross.  

Jesus probably felt joyful that a soul has been saved from hell, and He was following the Father's will to the end of His ministry.  The death on the cross.  I had never thought about the fact that the dying thief would be companion given to Him by God because He knew that He would not be able to look on Jesus, His Son, carrying our sins on the cross.  What love.  

• 9 months later...

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

One thing that amazes, or intrigues me about this story is that if you read from the other gospels, it seems that toward the beginning of the crucifixion both thieves are railing on Jesus.    

Math. 27:41-44 Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said,He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him.He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.

Mark 15:32Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.

How it is recorded, it seems as though the forgiven thief starts out reviling on Jesus the same as the other one. However, He gets to hear Jesus as the Father to forgive them for they know not what to do. I believe at some point this thief had heard about Jesus, the gosip, the miracles, the good and bad opinions of other people. Then he truly sees for himself the forgiveness and love of Jesus. He may have been thinking that Jesus would never forgive him, but deep down he believed He could. He took a chance and that day he received forgiveness, and a heavenly home for all eternity. 

Jesus had just been forsaken by His Father, and though God could not bare to look upon the sin, He provided a sense of comfort for the Son when He could not be there. 

• 2 months later...

Jesus first words on the cross were "Father forgive them for they know not what they do". Knowing Jesus was innocent and knowing what Pilate had written on the cross, the theif was given the grace to recognise Jesus as the Messiah. Hence he asks Jesus to remember him in His kingdom. the

Q2. Why is the thief's faith so astounding?

Greetings,  

I have read this text numerous times, but it never felt like this before.  I never looked at the two thieves as pictured the way Dr. Ralph has presented them.  Here are three men, one our savior, two sinners, one devil and one who found faith on the cross with Jesus.  When Jesus asked his father to forgive them for they know not what they do, they evil spirit in one of the thieves I feel was the devil thought he could get in his last pull/tug at Jesus, while the other knew in his heart who Jesus was and that Jesus did not need to be hung on the cross besides the two of them.  He knew Jesus had no place.  I guess he felt his spirit coming from his body as he hung in pain. As I read this I cry as how could they do this to my Jesus!  Today you will be in Paradise, while he was a thief, he is no more.  What a great pleasure to be seated at the right hand of God and to be in Paradise.  Dr. Ralph this section really touched my heart more than you will know.

Pat

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief's faith so astounding in this situation? What did the thief receive that day? What do you think this meant to Jesus?

The thief's faith is so astounding in this situation, because being in a situation like the thief, about to die on a cross, the normal person would be angry at God, someone else, or himself.  Salvation or concern for Jesus or another criminal would be far from his mind. The thief, that requested Jesus remember him when He comes into His kingdom, recognized who Jesus was, acknowledged who Jesus was, and repented of his sins.  That day, that thief, received the greatest gift a person could ever receive in life: salvation! I know Jesus was so honored and so proud. As a parent, it is like when your child grows up to be a successful man or woman based on the principles, values, beliefs, and the Scriptures he has been taught. You are a proud parent when your son graduates from high school, college, etc., gets married, and establishes a great family. Your labor or your good parenting is not in vain.

• 9 months later...
On 3/23/2009 at 11:24 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

His faith is so astounding because under the circumstances, a lot of people would have been angry like the other prisioner and wondering why Jesus isn't helpng them or himself. That thief recieved everlasting life. I think Jesus was given strength and hope.

• 6 months later...
On 3/23/2009 at 11:24 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Luke 23:39-43) Why is the thief

I believe there are some misunderstanding of scripture here. The thief on the cross never died under the new law (law of liberty) Galatians 5:1-7. You see Christ first had to die before the law was established (Hebrews 9:16-17). We see that the blood of Christ must be shed for ours sins (Hebrews 8). The thief died under the old covenant where baptism wasn't required. If you say that baptism isn't required, you neglect the verse 1 Peter 3:21, where the word "also"  means "and". In addition to this verse, why was everyone under the new covenant, all the way through the new testament baptist and mentioned. People say that faith is all you need to be saved. My friend the devils in James 2:19 also believed and trembled. Why is Mark 16:16 even in the bible. I would take another look into this and i would be glad to discuss it further.