JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? He is talking about the giving of the Holy Spirit to the members of the church to which John's letter is addressed.

In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? In several places in the bible anointing, either literally anointing with oil, as in the case of David in 1 Samuel 16: 12 -13, or figuratively is associated with the gift of the Holy Spirit. In Samuel, when David had been anointed, it says "from that day on the spirit of the Lord came upon David in power". Isaiah says "The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me" (Isaiah 61:1) Jesus repeats this in Luke 4:1 and Peter confirms in Acts 10:38 how "God anointed Jesus of Nazereth with the Holy Spirit and power". In 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 Paul says " But it is God who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us, by putting his seal on us and giving us his spirit..." So frequently, although not exclusively anointing is associated in the bible with the giving of the Holy Spirit.

Has every Christian received this anointing? This is a very good question, and one to which I don't know the answer. What I am going to do is write what I think to be the answer before I read anyone elses comments. Then, if after reading other comments, I think something different, I will post again!! What I think is that yes, every Christian receives the anointing of the Holy Spirit, but that not every Christian benefits from the powers which that anointing gives them in some cases because they are new Christians and need to learn and be nurtured in order to understand what the anointing means and how it can be used, or in other cases because they are older Christians in terms of numbers of years of being a Christian, but have yet to learn or be nurtured. That is what I think, but as I put myself firmly in the learners camp, I would love to develop my understanding of this.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think?

smile.gifThe "anointing" that John is talking about is the gift of the Holy Spirit that comes into the life of one who accepts Jesus Christ. This anointing is connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible as those who were annointed lived Godly lives and went about teaching about Jesus to others. I believe every Christian has received this anointing. Some make use of the gift more than others and thus are dedicated to living to serve God in every area of their lives.tongue.gif

The "anointing" is the presence of the Holy Spirit. It alerts people of false doctrine ref. antichrist.

One reeives the Holy Spirit and anointing when they accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior

All Christians receive the Holy Spirit and anointing when they get saved. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit comes later as a Christian grows in their walk with the Lord. At this times, a Christian will receive power and knowledge and are prepared to teach, preach, discern, etc. This is called the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Following my last post, I have now read all of the other posts to date and there are some interesting ones, but the post quoted above raises the issue which I still don't have the answer to. It seems from your post BJB 123 like the baptism of the Holy Spirit is an event separate and distinct from the anointing, and I can understand that concept and see it in other Christians, but is it a single one off event (one minute you are not baptised by the Holy Spirit and the next minute you are) or is it a process by which the Holy Spirit grows in us if we allow Him to or maybe it can be either of these. What does seem clear to me though is that the strength of the Holy Spirit within us is a critical part of our ongoing Christian lives and it was for that reason that the spirit was sent to us starting at Pentecost following the ascension

The annointing that John is talking about is that of the Holy Spirit. This is all connected with the Bible, because through the Bible and by the annointing of the Spirit to see and know the truths in it, we do have the truth and no lie will come from the truth. The Holy Spirit is within us guiding us in all things and through His Word.

Yes, I believe that all (true) Christians have received the annointing of the Holy Spirit, yet I believe not all Christians walk in His good counsel and many fall away from abiding in Christ and become confused in their walk. With me though, (and I can only relate my experiences) when I do become lax in daily communion with Him, I can't go very long like that. Something just doesn't seem right and I'm reminded somehow (by the Spirit) that what is lacking is my seeking Him. We must remain in Him, through prayer, reading the Bible and walking (putting into practice) the truths that He is teaching us.

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21) What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think?

We are annointed with the true knowledge of salvation by the Holy Spirit upon receiving the Holy Spirit if we are true Christians. We are filled with the knowledge of truth and our Lord Jesus Christ. I remember 30 some years ago upon learning about Jesus and accepting Him as Lord and Savior the joy and desire to tell everyone. You couldn't shut me up. I sometimes wonder what has happened to me. I have seemed to grow weary many days.

I just want to write what John MacArthur says in his Bible footnote:

"Two characteristics mark genuine Chrisians in contrast to the antichrists. First the Holy Spirit guards them from error. Christ as the Holy One imparts the Holy Spirit as their illuminating guardian from deception. Second, the Holy Spirit guides the believer into knowing all things. True Christians have a built in lie detector and persevere in the truth. Those who remain in heresy and apostosy manifest the fact that they were never genuinely born again.

If we have this annointing which we do and wether we are weary from much labor or not I believe inside, each true believer has a joy inexpressible, then we have a great reponsibility with what we do with it. We need to persevere in truth and in love. Too many leave the church because WE are not the people WE should be and not them.

Let's pray for each other that we might each be the person that Christ has created us to be. I know I have a lot of work to do in these areas as always and I could use prayer.

God Bless you all!!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Titus 2: 1-15

how can a young believer know what is truth and what falsehood.?

the answer is that we have an anoiting from the holy one,and....know all tings,and this anoiting refers to the holy spirit and is from the holy one,the lrd jesus christ.when a person is saved,he receives the indwelling holy spirit.so it is when a person is bornagain.he has at that moment all faculties that he will ever have,although there will be endless possibilities for developing them.

The anointing that John is speaking of is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, I believe that it is the Holy Spirit along side us that convicts us of sin. Once we repent and and through faith by the Grace of God accept the Salvation of Jesus, at that point does the Holy Spirit come into our lives as our comforter and guide.

Q2 The 'anointing' that John talked about is God empowering His people in the form of

the Holy Spirit, who can lead and guide them that no lie can come from the truth.

When one is anointed with the Holy Spirit, you can see the presence of power in that

person. St Paul's second letter to Timothy said: 'For God does not give us a

spirit of timidity but of power and love and discipline. (2 Tim. 1: 7)

When a person is baptized as a Christian, he/she is baptized in the Holy Trinity, the

Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Therefore, that person has received a spirit of

adoption as son/daughter by which we can cry out to God, "Abba Father". The Spirit

Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God and heirs also,

heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ. (Romans 8:15-17).

• What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?John speaks of the Holy Spirit coming upon His people, indwelling their hearts.
  • In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible?When we are anointed by the Holy Spirit, we are declared "sacred", set apart for God. The Holy Spirit's anointing imparts an ability for believers to know the truth.
  • Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think?Yes. Upon our conversion we confess Jesus as our Lord and Savior, and the Holy Spirit inseparable enters into us.

468x60.jpg

Click HERE to sponsor a child today

The anointing is like a blanket put over or around you that is a protection. So we have the scriptures to teach us and The Holy One has given us The Holy Spirit to guide us, direct us, to communicate to us. Jesus says,(If anyone has an ear let him hear.) Rev. 13 vs 9 and in Rev. chapters 2,3,He says:{ He who has an ear let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.)Yes I believe that all christians have been given this anointing, without the anointing we would be helpless and we to would fall into the grasp of the antichrist. :rolleyes:

This anointing is from the Holy One of God, the Third Person of the Triune God, the Holy Spirit, and He is in and upon everyone in the church that know the Lord Jesus as his/her personal Lord and Savior, so yes, every Christian has received this anointing of the Holy Spirit as true believers; but those who went out of the congregation of believers who were not of us, instead of continuing with us they went out to spread their false teachings elsewhere and are not true believing Christians and have not received the true anointing of the Holy Spirit in their lives; but rather, are truly the anti-christs of any age and place; and I believe that they were never Christians who have

The Anointing that John refers to is the presence of the Holy Spirit that comes upon a persons life when they give their life to the Lord,and sets them apart from non believers.

The Anointing comes from the Holy Spirit, who guides us into all truth , if we choose to walk under his guidance.

I believe that all true believers have received this anointing but but as I stated previously to what degree we walk in that anointing depends on our co-operation and obedience to God.

I believe that John is referring to baptism. Anointing is traditional a mark of the Holy Spirit in the Bible; in the OT, the anointing is with oil; in the NT it is with living water. I think every Christian has received this anointing through baptism. However, all of us are sinners and need daily renewal through seeking the Lord and the Holy Spirit. It is too easy to succumb to the world by being smug and prideful about anointing.

1Jn 2:20 And you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things.

1Jn 2:21 I did not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because every lie is not of the truth.

John here is talking about the presence and power of the Holy Spirit which Jesus sent to believers to guide and fill us with His power. In the old testament anointing was spoken about when someone was empowered by the Lord and also to symbolize their dedication to the Lord both people and objects. I believe that every true Christian has the Holy Spirit anointing as He lives within us at the time of conversion but what I dont see is all Christians using the power and guidance that is given to us. We have something that is very unique and special to us but it is our decision whether or not to follow the leadings of the Holy Spirit and often with danger we do not. We are told quite plainly not to grieve Him but many of our decisions do just that.

Q2. (1 John 2:20-21)

What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?

I believe that all believers have the Holy Spirit the moment they are saved. That is because we are set aside for Christ-we are now His, and we are given the Holy Spirit for a down payment toward our inheritance. I also believe that we are filled with the Holy Spirit so that we can be strengthened and encouraged through the Holy Spirit to stan firm and be able to serve God. I believe that all who ask for this filling will receive it, if they ask with a pure heart and a willing spirit. God searches the heart, and He knows if we are sincere or not.

What is the "anointing" that John is talking about?

It is anointing from the Holy Spirit. It is an event that the Holy Spirit comes to the believers and are live in them

In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible?

The Holy Spirit, who lives in us as a result of anointing, comes in one in power and the power in one is manifested in speaking about God and his commands in power, doing good deeds, doing miracles, defeating the power of devil, and preaching boldly the Gospel

Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think?

No. Only those who wholeheartedly believe in God and receive personally Christ as the Savior and the Lord, receive this anointing

When a person becomes a Christian, he or she receives the Holy Spirit. One way the Holy Spirit helps the believer and the church is by communicating truth. Jesus is the truth , and the Holy Spirit guides believers to him . People who are opposed to Christ are also opposed to his truth, and the Holy Spirit is not working in their lives. When we are led by the Spirit, we can stand against false teachers and the Antichrist. Ask the Spirit to guide you each day .

The anointing that John is referring to is the power of the HS which all the believers had received. The anointing is connected to the HS in that in the OT God declared that oil be poured onto the high priests head as an anointing from the Lord. That anointing brought power from God to the service of the priest. King David was also anointed with oil. The HS came upon some believers in the OT for special service as the Lord willed. In the NT, Jesus said that the HS would come to the believers and He would give the power for service (Acts 1:8). Yes, in my opinion, every Christian has the HS within, which is the anointing. I do not believe that many Christian walk in the anointing as God wants them to....some grieve the Spirit, etc. and therefore the HS is within but not particularly evident in their service or worship.

God's annointing is a close connection to God through his Holy Spirit. I don't believe that every Christian has this annointing because god only annoints his chosen ones.

Annointing here refers to the presence of the Holy Spirit in believers of the Lord Jesus Christ. He is given to us to teach, lead, guide, and empower us to understand the Word, and to walk the Christian life.

Every Christian who trully accepts the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord is given the Holy Spirit as a gift as promissed by the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. I have annointing (the presence) of the Holy Spirit in me. I believe this.

John is talking about the present and power of the anointing of the Holy Spirit. Christ means the "Anointed One". Because Christ is in us the same anointing that He had on earth we also have.God's anointing of the Holy Spirit flows through us as we open our hearts to others. Yes every christian has recieved this anointing but if we close our hearts to others and grieve the Holy Spirit the flow stops.

Patricia

What is the "anointing" that John is talking about? In what way is anointing connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible? Has every Christian received this anointing? What do you think?

The anointing is the Power of God through the Holy Spirit empowering us to see God's Truth

When people were annointed before Jesus lived, they were annointed or covered (over their head) with oil. Then the Holy Spirit "comes upon them in power". After Jesus died and rose again his disciples received the Holy Spirit through what looked like tongues of fire, empowering them.

Not all Christians have received the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit being a Christian and following Jesus would be hard work. The Holy Spirit opens our eyes and turns on the light. We also need the gift of the spirit to really live as Christians as they are the sign that we are "saved", and not by our own "good deeds", but by the power of God.

The "anointing" John is talking about refers to the presence of the Holy Spirit in a believer's life. John assures the congregation that the Holy Spirit will remain to lead and guide them in their Christian walk.

The way anointing is connected to the Holy Spirit in the Bible is that anointing is closely related to the presence and power of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit was present when David was annointed as king of Israel by Samuel. The Holy Spirit descended on Jesus during His baptism in the form of a dove.

The Holy Spirit is present at the time a person comes to faith in Christ. However a believer needs to pray for the anointing of the Holy Spirit in their life.

John is talking about the anointing of the Holy Spirit upon those who have acknowledged and received Jesus Christ as the The Messiah, repented of sin in His name, and have given their lives to God the Father in His Son Jesus Christ.

In general, The Holy Spirit has filled God's anointed Kings, prophets, disciples, and saints throughout time perfect their purpose in building the Kingdom of God on this planet.

Every Christian who is in a right relationship with God in Christ has this anointing. Natural man cannot understand nor do the things of God unless they are illuminated and filled with the Holy Spirit.