JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28) What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus? Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus. What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?

Abiding in Jesus, Remaining in Him, continuing in Him is exemplified partially by the buzz phrase "What would Jesus do?" or its spinoff "What wouldn't Jesus do?" While I out of hand dislike buzz phrases because often times they are too cutesy and simplistic, I think this one means that daily we should seek his guidance, surrender ourselves to His will, actively proclaim to Him a surrendering of our will to His. Our arrogance and self will is limitless.

Daily prayer in every decision to our King is abiding. Tell me, O Lord, what it is you want me to do. Daily reading of the Word. We need to ask and be able to receive, having left our will in the dust by the roadside. This is not as easy to do as it might seem.

The symptoms of a Christian who is not abiding in Jesus might include, not praying, not being accountable to other Christians, stopping going to church or prayer, or study, or active and unashamed sinning.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28) What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus? Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus. What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?

To abide is to contniue to hear and follow His teaching, put into practice

regardless of the situation, have a strong faith on Him that He is able to

help you in every way. The christian who is abiding with Christ is leaving

happily every moment without murmoring whatever hardship they face in life.

Lack of faith is the symptons of the christian who is not abiding in Jesus.

Gener

1Jn 2:24 Then what you heard from the beginning, let it abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, you will abide both in the Son and in the Father.

1Jn 2:25 And this is the promise which He promised us: everlasting life.

1Jn 2:26 I wrote these things to you concerning the ones leading you astray.

1Jn 2:27 And the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need that anyone teach you. But as His anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and as He taught you, abide in Him.

1Jn 2:28 And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He is revealed we may have confidence, and not be shamed from Him in His coming.

To abide in the Lord is to remain or to continue...to hold onto what the Lord has taught us. We can not let our walk with the Lord lag behind as that is when Satan will blast us. We need to keep in constant touch by reading His Word, with prayer and by fellowship with other true Believers. Without this we will find ourselves taking things for granted and becoming complacent and I believe even at some point falling away from faith. Those who live their lives according to how the world believes we should live I believe have lost the desire to abide with the Lord. When a person also stops growing or maturing as a believer that may be a sign that remaining with the Lord is fading away.

The greastest image of abiding that I can think of is the disciple who Jesus' loved laying his head on Jesus' breast (John 13:23, 25; 21:20). It's an icredibly intimate scene of just being still and knowing that He is God. It's peaceful and comforting and overwhelming that the Creator of all would allow us to rest in Him in that way. I find that I feel this way most in nature, when quietly gazing at the vastness of the stars or the beauty of a sunset or the warmth of the ocean on my toes. These are the times when I realize how small I am, yet the God who created all of this, in all of His greatness, loves me with a love so great that I cannot begin to fathom it.

There is a book called "A Long Obedience." I've never read it, but the title describes the lifestyle that I have chosen as a follower of Christ. I must never lose this sense of wonder and awe and peace and most importantly, love, that I have found. If I could sum up all that I have learned and all that I know of God in one word, it would be LOVE. That is the true sign of a Christian and of someone abiding in Christ. Anytime we fail to love as the Father has loved us we are not abiding in His love. Of course, his love for us never fades He is always waiting for us to return to His open arms when we return. And when we experience His grace and are wraped up in a tight embrace, let us take a moment to recommit to adbiding in His love forever, and sharing that love with all of his children.

Abiding to me means staying connected. "I am the vine, you are the branches." We are not separate from God, we are a part of. Jesus prayed a wonderful prayer in the book of John. He gives instruction in chapter 15 on remaining in Him. He promises if we remain in Him, He will remain in us. He warns us of what is to come in sharing His life. In chapter 16, He promises the Holy Spirit will come to us after He leaves and will guide us in all truth. He will take all that was of Jesus and make it known to us. In Chapter 17, Jesus prays for His disciples and for all believers. He prays we all may be one just as He and the Father are one. He speaks of a oneness through the whole chapter! I love these chapters in John, because I remember when I first read them and was awed at all Jesus had really done and given to us through His life and death! Much "abiding" is by faith in these promises. Every day we should be seeking Him as you would any wonderful friend who you trust and seek counsel from. It's as natural as breathing.

Symptoms of Christians not abiding in Him are really very difficult to say individually. I say they would fall away eventually for sure, but I don't think that "crabby" people or "frustrated" people are not abiding in Christ. There are so many difficulties out in the world that are hard to go through with a smile on your face. Jesus told us it would be difficult and we would suffer and that was for our faith and truth. But we also have our own griefs we suffer just as humans living out our daily lives. Our loved ones die, we are separated from some we love. I can be abiding in sorrow and depression. And have. I can be angry at injustice (but not sin in it) I can speak out against untruth and difficulties even in the church and still be abiding in Him and part of the body of Christ. There is speaking truth in love. There is a peace in it all though and I always am hugely comforted by Him in the difficulties. He is our comforter too!

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28)

What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus? Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus. What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?

It means to stay with the original teaching from the Holy Spirit and not drift from this current theory to that current theory. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth and we are to remain (stay ) with Him. We are to love the Lord with all our heart, mind and soul.

It might mean we would rather read the Word than go to the movie. It might mean we walk alone rather than join in with the world system. It might mean we are looked upon as a "wonder" (psalm 71) unto many. It might mean we have a joy in the most difficult of circumstances that the world does not comprehend.

I like Jan Mary's answer to this. Since I had everything typed out and it disappeared into thin air you will have to go back and look for yourself.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

If one wants to go to the state of Washington, one must understand that Washington State has borders. Any place outside the borders of Washington no matter how close to the border you are is still outside of Washington and he or she is not in Washington. To be in the borders of Jesus, one must make Jesus Lord of their life, and confess their sins. Once this is done you are in Jesus. Sin is the only thing that brings you outside of Jesus. So the only thing to do is when one finds they are nearing the border of Jesus, they need to admit they are leaving the borders that God wants for him or her and begin to do whatever is necessary to stay within the boundaries of our Lord and Savior. This is what John means by

It means that we follow the path that Jesus left, we love each other, visit the sick feed the poor, and spread the gospel to those who don't know Jesus. If a person is not in Christ then he is living in the world doing as the world does seeking his own pleasures and not seeking to do the will of the Father.

When I abide in Jesus, I love him with my whole heart. I trust in him, I put my thoughts and worries in him, and Leave it with him. I truely trust that he will take care of me. I love my neighbour as myself.I do not use his name in vain.

I talk about my Faith in Jesus, I do not deny him to non Christians.

If I did not abide in Jesus,I would not praise his name, I would go my own way,and refuse to believe anymore about God and Jesus.I would do as I liked, even thou I know It is against Gods law.I would forget to pray. I would not be kind to his people, even if I knew that they needed me.I would be walking in Darkness.

Q4 To abide/remain/continue in Jesus simply means to be faithful to Him as well as to

follow in all His teachings. Just like a couple during their marital vows to promise

to be faithful to one another till death do they part.

A true Christian must first of all acknowledged that God is the Father and Jesus is

the Son and that Jesus is from God the incarnate. They must adhere to the teachings

they had originally received and not to desert it for 'progressive' gospel. A

Christian must also grow in his/her faith with God. He/she needs to stay focus on

Jesus and to seek Him in daily prayers and not to take faith for granted.

When one who is not abiding in Jesus, he/she will have no peace, happiness and a sense

of belonging. He/she is a liar, always suspicious of people, angry, irritated,

resentful and have negative thoughts.

Abide in Jesus means praying, studying, and fellowship with other believers. Reminding ourselves that we are children of the most High God, and praising Him as such-giving Him the praise and honor that He deserves. We should be doing this everyday-not just once in a while, or once a week or whenever we feel like it. Every day, many times a day! He deserves it!

A christian that is not doing these things, is a christian that is more involved in self-what can I do for me? What can you do for me-that sort of thing. Money, material things, self-help-those comercials on tv and radio that encourage us to be the best we can be for us. We can not serve God and mammon-we will love the one, and hate the other. Stay with God-that is the main thing! We will not be sorry!

It is pure joy to abide in Jesus as this means one is constantly inviting Jesus to be the center of his or her life. One who abides in Jesus spends time with Him in prayer, reading His Word, sharing fellowship with other believers and especially strives to live what Jesus taught. One who does not abide in Jesus focuses more on the things of this world than on the wonderful relationship with Jesus.huh.gif

What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus?

To abide/remain/continue in Jesus means to continually stay in touch with Jesus, to continue live in him, to fix our eyes on him, to keep holding his teaching

Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus.

He/she is doing a bible study with intention of knowing him deeper, or of knowing God

When we abide/remain/continue in the Lord Jesus, we are daily seeking Him and His will for our lives, to know Him better from His Word and prayer, and having fellowship with other Christians; but when we are not abiding in the Lord, then we are not seeking Him in His Word nor praying to Him daily, and are out of fellowship with other believers as well, and not being obedient to Him as His disciples.

Abiding in Jesus is having Him the center of our lives.

Someone abiding in Jesus is involved in the things of God wherein those things take precedent over the things of the world. Prayer, Bible study, fellowshiping with other believers, and being in God is more important than anything else.

Someone not abiding in Christ is doing their own thing and their lives are not lining up with the Word of God.

To abide in Jesus is to hold fast and continuously to the truth. One who is abiding is listening to the HS constantly to protect the treasure of truth we hold to...and not be sidetracked by some "new teaching", etc. While these teachings may or may not be false, they do lead us away from the basics of the scripture teachings. Abiding necessitates daily communion with the Lord through scripture and prayer.

Someone who is not abiding has lost their joy...and their peace...and is in danger of falling away.

To abide with Jesus is to follow Jesus to the ends of the earth and beyond to God himself. If you don't abide with him (Jesus) then you deny him and the Father doesn't know you either. A troublemaker, a continuous bashing of Jesus and/or taking away the rights to worship our Father is an example of someone not abiding in the Father.

The most important factor in our walk with Jesus Christ is to abide in him. The more we abide in Christ, the more we will have peace, victory over sin, and be In His Steps.

The definition for the word abide is.

ABIDE:

to wait for

to endure without yielding

to bear patiently

to accept without objection

to remain stable or fixed in a state

to continue in a place

Synonyms: Stay, continue, bear

ABIDING: enduring, continuing

To abide has to do with the concept of 'being' instead of 'doing'. Doing in relation to the Christian walk is: reading your Bible, going to church, praying, witnessing, doing good works, fleeing sin, etc. These are all good things to do as a Christian. These are things we should be doing. If we are not doing these things our walk with God and others will suffer. However, if we are doing these things just because we are suppose to, or we are doing them in our own strength, we will not have victory or peace and miss out in having an intimate relationship with Christ. If we are not careful, we can become works oriented instead of Christ oriented.

To Abide in Christ is to be in the 'being' mode. We still are doing the things that God has called us to, but we are doing it in His strength. Abiding in Christ is about having an intimate relationship with Him. The relationship is more important than the things we do or don't do. The more we are abiding in Him, the more we will be faithul. We will hear His voice clearer, not be works oriented, and have more peace in our life. To abide is to experience His presence.

Let's explore the definition of abide:

To wait for-We as Christians need to spend much more time waiting on God. By this we mean spending time with God, seeking His will, not jumping ahead of Him.

To endure without yielding-To be determined to experience God's presence.

To bear patiently-To abide in Christ when we don't feel like it. To be patient waiting for God to reveal His will and Himself.

To continue in a place-We need to spend more time, staying in His presence.

If we are abiding in Christ, we can be assured that we will walk IN HIS STEPS.

Abiding in Christ is a process. We don't get there over night. So don't get discouraged if it seems hard to just 'rest in Him'. Enjoy the mountains, the ocean, the blue skies (even the thunder and lightning), the green pastures (even the hot desert). As you enjoy God's creation, you will sense His presence. Abiding will come. Stop and 'smell the roses'.

To abide, remain, continue in Christ means to continue to believe the true word of God and live by that belief. Thus obeying the Lord's command and walking according to His word is a demonstration that we abide in Him.

The Christian who does not abide in will be evidenced acts are contrary to the word of God.

Q4. (1 John 2:24-28) What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus? Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus. What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus? To abide in Jesus is to stay connected to Him in all that we do. Remain faithful to what you have been taught from the beginning. A great example of a Christian that is abiding in Jesus is whenever someone hurt you in a way that is so degrading you must forgive them and Love them like Jesus will. That is very hard but I had to learn to forgive and moved on. I really did make me feel at peace once I let go of all that was holding me back from True worship and praise for the Lord. If I didn't forgave than I would have not been truly abiding in Jesus.

• What does it mean to abide/remain/continue in Jesus? Give an example of what a Christian might be doing who is "abiding" in Jesus.Abiding in Jesus means to apply His word to our daily lives... through reading, prayer and community. When we abide in Him, we hold fast to His teachings, and when we hear a "new" teaching, we seek answers from the Bible as to its Truth.
  • What are symptoms in a Christian who is not "abiding" in Jesus?When we follow our "felt needs" and define Jesus by our fleshly values, we are not abiding in Him. When we seek new "enlightenment" of His Word, or choose to regard passages as out of step with modern times, we have drifted apart from or Lord.

468x60.jpg

Click HERE to sponsor a child today

To abide/remain/continue in Jesus;He is the vine and we our the branches; we cannot bear fruit unless we stay connected to the vine. An example of a Christian abiding in Christ is having a repenting spirit. A Christian who is not abiding

thinks he/she doesn't need to repent often.

Patricia

What it means to abide/remain/continue in Jesus is to make Him the center,the main focus of our life.

A Christian who is "abiding" in Jesus will make prayer and reading the Bible top priority in their life.

Symptons of a christian not "abiding" in Jesus are not going to church,avoiding other believers,lack of interest in bible reading and prayer,going places and doing activities believers shouldn't be doing.