JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. God Is Love

Q3. (1 John 4:7-8) Why is the statement, "God is love," so important? What does it say about God's nature? How does love being the essence of God's nature affect us? If we were created in God's image of love, but fell, what does this say about the road to healing in our lives? Why does love demand a willingness to forgive?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 John 4:7-8) Why is the statement, "God is love," so important? What does it say about God's nature? How does love being the essence of God's nature affect us? If we were created in God's image of love, but fell, what does this say about the road to healing in our lives? Why does love demand a willingness to forgive?

God is love is the mark of the seed within me which gives me the strength to know God wants us to love our enemies. Through this love I can know forgiveness is the key for it to me is the very nature of God We are human so we will fail, but repentance is the only way to keep or return to the truth.

I agree that "God is love" is the highest characterization of Himself that He has revealed to us. Every thought, word, and deed comes through this essential quality of His nature. Knowing this has given me great assurance and confidence in times of trouble. In 2005, my mother was stricken with a large ruptured brain aneurysm and subsequent heart attack. The two conditions meant that neither could be effectively treated. She went into congestive heart failure and coma, her doctors could offer no hope, and we began preparing for her death. The LORD led me to Isaiah 55:8-9 as His word for that particular event of life. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. In no way did I want to say goodbye to my mother yet and it seemed an odd anchor, but I constantly spoke His precious word to myself and chose to trust it because I knew this very thing - God's thoughts and ways are always in harmony with His love, and love seeks the highest good for another. That was His personal lesson for me. Relying on His great love for the treasured child who would soon be released from earth's bonds and for the grieving ones who would be left behind gave me the peace I needed to release her fully to Him. ("The rest of the story". . .All praise to Him, the LORD miraculously intervened to bring her back as she was almost stepping into eternity, amazingly healed her, and almost completely restored her in an astounding few weeks. She is alive and astonishingly well today, by His grace!)

Understanding this core component of God's nature must impact our own because He is developing and reproducing His character in His children. Love should be the supreme filter through which everything we think, say, and do should pass. Love should be the balm for our hurts and the primary motivation for our responses. Even when all cannot be excused, love generates a desire to forgive. An unforgiving resentful attitude is like a spotlight on a lack of love. My own heart has been in that spotlight at times and it's a hard, miserable, sinful place to be. Demonstration of love, especially shown in the most difficult of situations, is the defining evidence of our redemption and adoption.

For me, Tis statement "God is love" means that, when He deals with me, He will always deal with me with love. If He has to punish, admonish, whatever-it will be with love. I think God even loves those that have to be dealt with severely. It hurts Him to have to punish His children. Kind of like us humans-I spanked my son when he was four one time, and I was the one crying! I think God is like that.

Forgiveness is part of the plan for us. God forgave us even before we accepted the salvation that He offered through His Son. And, He wants us to be like Jesus, who came to offer forgiveness. So, we must forgive, no matter what. We must offer the same things that Jesus provides for us. That is only right. Why should we receive it if we can't give it?

The fact that God is love should color our lives. We should be relecting that light. God's care went beyond Himself to us--cared enough for us that while we were yet sinners, He died for us.

His love should be seen in our lives as we reach out to others.

The road to healing is a road of forgiving & being forgiven.

Unwillingness to forgive is a devilish attitude. Holding grudges and being self-centered is not godly.

I pray I will forgive as God has forgiven me and bring to mind those areas I have not fully given to Him.

John wants to make us clear that love is most important, just as Paul tells us in 1 Cor 13:13

God loves us and therefore He came in the flesh to sacrifice Himself for us so we don't have to suffer in hell.

I think the answer to the question is in 1 Cor 13 where Paul explains what love is.

Q3. (1 John 4:7-8)

Why is the statement, "God is love," so important?

What does it say about God's nature?

How does love being the essence of God's nature affect us?

If we were created in God's image of love, but fell, what does this say about the road to healing in our lives?

Why does love demand a willingness to forgive?

It is vital for us to know that God is love, knowing that everything He does He does with love. God

Q3 In John 3:16 it said that God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son

that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

"Love" is the keyword of our God. Everything about Him is LOVE. All His teachings

is based on love. God's nature is love that is why He made and saved us. Love was

God's plan when He made man. God's divine nature is Love. We are truly blessed to

have a loving and compassionate God. Love is what God's unique and essential

character all about. That is why the statement 'God is Love' is important because

every believer has been showered with tremendous love to the brim till it overflows

to others to experience it also.

'Love' is the universal language. As the saying goes 'love can move mountains.'

It is through love that the hardened of hearts can be melted. We are called to be

imitators of Him to reach out and love one another, for it is only through love

that one can be transformed to be a better person.

We often heard the sayings 'Like father like son and like mother like daughter'.

When we are born, we tend to follow in the nature of our natural parents. Likewise

if we are born of God, we should follow after God's likeness and nature. We should

love and forgive as He did. Then only do we say we are God's child. If we fail

then we don't really know or understand God and does not have any part of Him.

God want us to experience Him in a personal way so that we can grow and be intimate

with Him and with one another. Love heals and replaces evil doings in one's heart.

Why is the statement, "God is love," so important? What does it say about God's nature? How does love being the essence of God's nature affect us?

If we are children of God, then we can be like our Father and live the life of love.

If we were created in God's image of love, but fell, what does this say about the road to healing in our lives?

God is love, and healing comes with love.

Forgiveness brings peace... it's in a field of peace that love grows

"...you are to be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect"

Sermon on the Mount

Q3. (1 John 4:7-8)

Why is the statement, "God is love," so important?

It is important because it draws us near Him. Who does not want to be loved? Everyone appreciates a loving, caring gesture. So, knowing that God is Love will trigger in every sensible creature the desire to stay closer to Him.

What does it say about God's nature? How does love being the essence of God's nature affect us?

It says to me that even when I do not understand something God is doing in my life, I must believe there is love in it. Example: Sometimes God allows us to suffer difficulties just for us to open our eyes and correct our wrong behaviour. Only attentive people will realize those moments God teaches a lesson.

If we were created in God's image of love, but fell, what does this say about the road to healing in our lives? Why does love demand a willingness to forgive?It says to me I need to go back to God. Accept and follow His way shown in His word. Then everything will be right. He/She who is able to forgive manifests the essence of love. When one can forgive then one can do whatever good things we can think of to other people.

The Spirit of God is the Spirit of Love. God loved us so much that he gave His only Son to die for our sins. If God dwells in us and we in Him we will always feel the love of God in us.

GOD'S NATURE IS LOVE. HE DOESNT HAVE LOVE, HE IS LOVE. THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES TO ME, AND BEST OF ALL HIS LOVE IS AGAPPE LOVE OR UNCONDITIONAL LOVE.THAT MEANS THAT NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES I FALL OR FAIL IN MY CHRISTIAN WALK, HE WILL NEVER CONDEMN ME BUT RATHER HELP ME TO STAND AS I RUN TO HIM AND NOT FROM HIM.OUR GOD IS A RESTORER, AND NO MATTER IF WE WERE HURT BY OTHERS OR WE BROUGHT PAIN INTO OUR OWN LIVES BY THE WRONG CHOICES WE MADE, HE STILL FORGIVES AND IS WILLING TO RESTORE US.OUR GOD STILL HEALS TODAY AS HE DID YESTERDAY. LOVE AND FORGIVENESS GO TOGETHER IN GOD'S KINGDOM.IF GOD DIDNT TRULY LOVE MANKIND, HE WOULDNT HAVE CHOSEN TO FORGIVE US BY SENDING HIS SON TO PAY THE PRICE FOR OUR SINS, THEREFORE WE HAVE TO DO LIKEWISE.IF WE TRULY LOVE LIKE HE DOES, WE HAVE TO FORGIVE AND NOT HATE.

The Love of God is so important because, this is what God is about Love. Without Love nothing else would be of any use. Love covers the foundation of Christiany. God is all about love and when you get the real love of God in your life, it will keep you walking upright and faithfully fulfilling our Christian faith. You will walk your talk.

God Bless;

bondservant

Q3. (1 John 4:7-8) Why is the statement, "God is love," so important?

God is the source of love, which flows from Him and is visible in creation. It's the love of God which transforms us, draws us to Him in relationship, and draws us and keeps us in relationship with others.

What does it say about God's nature?

Love is Who God is...divine love is His character and essence. It says He is trustworthy, unchanging...the same yesterday, today and tomorrow....Safe. Love and truth go together.

How does love being the essence of God's nature affect us?

He loves us perfectly, completely, unconditionally, and when needed, with tough love enough to correct, teach and train us. His love flowing through us affects those around us.

We are broken, born in dysfunction without the ability to love perfectly as we were created. God is our source of pure, restorative love. We love Him because He first loved us. His perfect love casts out fear. (We can't love that which we're afraid of.) He is the Great physician of all things broken in our lives, physically, emotionally and spiritually.

To love purely, means to release any grudges and to not hold others offenses against them....as God does with us. Forgiveness is the the ultimate gift He gives us and we give to one another.

1Jn 4:7 Dear friends, let us love one another, because love comes from God. Whoever loves is a child of God and knows God.

1Jn 4:8 Whoever does not love does not know God, for God is love.

To begin with we must realize that this statement is unique to the Christian faith. To understands what this means we have to understand what love is and what love isn't. This shows to us that all that God is and does is out of love for us. His character is based on his love..even when disciplining us it is done out of His love for us...With our falling we lost most of what God intended for us to have. The one thing most noticed is the loss of love for others and even for ourselves...and for the Lord God Himself. We need to learn all over again what exactly it means to love. With that we need to learn to forgive and have a willingness to do so because we learnt from the last lessons how anger leads to hatred which leads to murder. Without forgiveness we will sin.

here john resumes the subject of love for ones brother,he emphasized that love is a duty,consistent with the character of god.as has been mentioned previously,john is not thinkng of love that is common to all men,but of love to the children of god which has been implanted in those who have been born again.love is of god as to its orgin,and everyone who loves is born of god and knows god.he wo does not love god and know god ;for god is love.it does not say that god loves.that is true,but john is emphasizied that god is love.

I agree that "God is love" is the highest characterization of Himself that He has revealed to us. Every thought, word, and deed comes through this essential quality of His nature. Knowing this has given me great assurance and confidence in times of trouble. In 2005, my mother was stricken with a large ruptured brain aneurysm and subsequent heart attack. The two conditions meant that neither could be effectively treated. She went into congestive heart failure and coma, her doctors could offer no hope, and we began preparing for her death. The LORD led me to Isaiah 55:8-9 as His word for that particular event of life. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. In no way did I want to say goodbye to my mother yet and it seemed an odd anchor, but I constantly spoke His precious word to myself and chose to trust it because I knew this very thing - God's thoughts and ways are always in harmony with His love, and love seeks the highest good for another. That was His personal lesson for me. Relying on His great love for the treasured child who would soon be released from earth's bonds and for the grieving ones who would be left behind gave me the peace I needed to release her fully to Him. ("The rest of the story". . .All praise to Him, the LORD miraculously intervened to bring her back as she was almost stepping into eternity, amazingly healed her, and almost completely restored her in an astounding few weeks. She is alive and astonishingly well today, by His grace!)

Understanding this core component of God's nature must impact our own because He is developing and reproducing His character in His children. Love should be the supreme filter through which everything we think, say, and do should pass. Love should be the balm for our hurts and the primary motivation for our responses. Even when all cannot be excused, love generates a desire to forgive. An unforgiving resentful attitude is like a spotlight on a lack of love. My own heart has been in that spotlight at times and it's a hard, miserable, sinful place to be. Demonstration of love, especially shown in the most difficult of situations, is the defining evidence of our redemption and adoption.

I want to thank you for your replies in this lesson. I have learned alot through the study, also through your answers. It has helped me abundantly

I believe the statement, "God is love" is so important because when we are going through the storms of life, and think that we are all alone in this situation, we remember that we are not alone and He loves us. We can remember that there is a silver linning for every dark cloud.

When we fall, we can know that God will be there to pick us up, dust us off and set us on the right path once again.

The Bible says that if we forgive others, then God in His great mercy will forgive us. If there is no forgiveness, there is now love. So, we must love each other and God as He loves us.

Why is the statement, "God is love," so important? Without love, there is no God. We cannot define love outside of knowing God.

What does it say about God's nature? God is the Creator of all things, and by His very nature, He is love.

How does love being the essence of God's nature affect us? God

The statement that God is love is important beacause it empasises that His nature is love and all His attributes are associated with love.

Because love is the essence of God's nature, we should also love as He does beacuse we are His children, born to be like him.

our love should make us to forgive.

God is love is very important for use to understand because if we don't we don't understand and know our God. He have given us the greatest love of it all. Even when we didn't live as Christian He still covered us with His love by giving us another chance to get it right. God nature is love, this is who He is. He give us everything we need even if we didn't take care of it but it is offered to us. God created us in His image of love but we often fail because we didn't understand that to love is to forgive and live our life as if this was the last. We must always forgive and not be willing to hate those that have mistreated us. I work on being humble daily and show my respect and love for others. I've found that even in my humble hours when I'm just meditating on God and listening to my Gospel music other will try to fine a problem with that and turn it into a negative event but it will never stop me from being in the present of God and staying true to His love. I only pray that those that are on my job that have this evil spirit will change there life that they will realized, the things that they do trying to hurt and destroy other are the very things that could hurt them. God have shown me so much love and have guided me with the Holy Spirit to make a great change in my life and stay true to His love. This is what my life is not I only want to do and be all that God have design me to be with all the love that he have given me I want to share it with others. I thank you God for your love and how you have continue to show me and mature me in a humble way so that your Kingdom will be glorify.

It is important because God has ti be love to have given His Son for us,and unless we believe that he is love we can't believe in Him. God's nature is pure and Holy His love poured out for us allows is love to grow in ever believer and brings with it faith to believe that God is for us and will give us the strength to grow in Him and to share that love with others and our way of worshiping Him. Without love and the Spirit of God our heart will harden and we will be unable to forgive and then God will not be able to forgive us.

This tells us about God's nature. He doesn't just love, He is love. It means that we can trust that everything that He allows our way is out of that love. It is not a capricious love like the love of the world. I'm sorry but I don't always act out of love. My love seems so often to be a selffish love. I am learning to try to be more like God's unconditional love but I need to spend time with Him to be like Him and when I get busy or let things crowd that time out my "love" or lack thereof is affected. God's nature in me convicts me of it rather quickly. Sometimes I just need time to myself to refresh and recharge. God's love is new every morning. That is a love we can trust.

About forgiveness when we love with His love which we must get from Him it is imperative that we forgive. What has anyone done to me that is worse than I have done to Him? Has someone ignored me? He has forgiven me out of His love for me and sacrificed for me and I should forgive anyone who causes me hurt or doesn't do what my "capricious" human nature demands. To not do so is arrogant to the hilt.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26