JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Defeat vs. Victory

Q1. (1 John 5:4-5) How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world? What part does faith have in this overcoming? What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality?

These are the sort of questions that make one sit up and thank God for our salvation, and the redemption that we know and enjoy in Christ Jesus.

How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world?

We walk by faith and not by sight

What part does faith have in this overcoming? What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality?

Walks by sight and knows little of the keeping faith in Christ Jesus.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank God for this study!

The very thing I'm struggling with right now! I was falling into the defeatist attitude in something in my life. I wanted to withdraw from everything, yet I felt God saying to rest in Him awhile and He would help me. I flew to be under the shadow of His wing. As I waited for Him to help me, I pondered on my faith in Him. Had He not always been faithful? Did I not have an enemy prowling around me waiting to devour me? Did I not have power to overcome the enemy? I read some devotionals and one was on having a vision of opening a door and declaring to the enemy He had no right to be there standing in my way as I desired to move forward. I did. Then I was to pray for a clearing of the air around me, overcoming the negative that the enemy surrounded me with. I did that too! Then I felt to seek Him in any way I could with all my heart. I turned to this study first, and there it all was! Clarity and clearing and a renewed purpose in Christ! Come to me all you who are weary and heavy ladened and I will give you rest. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

That may answer this question in a different way.....but I just lived it!

Q1. (1 John 5:4-5) How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world? What part does faith have in this overcoming? What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality?

It shows that when you depend upon yourself that your mental capacity is limited. You can not accept things you can not see or control. A believer in Christ who submits to Him is given the strength they need to have the faith. Faith is a big part in this overcoming. Faith shows our submission and obedience to God. This shows that we are from God, and who ever is from God overcomes the world. Without God you cannot overcome the world. When one does not belief in something thier mental capacity is limited, making for a quick defeat, or one gives up too easily for they can`t comprehend beyond thier mental capacity. B)

Jesus never promised that obeying him would be easy

It is the world that lies in our way to heaven, and is the great impediment to our entrance there. But he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God believes therein that Jesus came from God to be the Saviour of the world, and powerfully to conduct us from the world to heaven, and to God, who is fully to be enjoyed there. And he who so believes must needs by this faith overcome the world.

The difference between a defeatist mentality and a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world is faith.

The part faith has in this overcoming is victory through Christ and the Holy Spirit.

The part unbelief has in a defeatist mentality is an apathetic attitude toward the face of evil and evil men.

Q1. (1 John 5:4-5) How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world? A defeatist being a person who surrenders easily or is subject to live in defeat. We in Yahushua haMashiach.- Christ the Lord, know that He paid our debt to this worlds grip on us. We no longer live in this world because we live by faith in the Son of Yahowah, who loves us and gave Himself for us. The text tells us that those who do not believe in the Son of Yahowah are already condemned. If a person does not choose Him, they who are defeated and will stay in that mentality until they surrender to His call.

What part does faith have in this overcoming? It is by faith that we live. So many times in the ministry of healing that Yahushua walked in, He would tell them that it was their faith that had healed them. Our faith in and through Him, is what causes us to over come every thing, every situation in our lives. If we are afflicted the Bible tells us that we are to pray for ourselves. If we follow, read and declare His word in our circumstance, we will overcome it all.

What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality? Every part. A person can talk themselves right in to being sick by the power of their own tongue. Out of the heart speaks the mouth. These two organs are tied together.

A defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world because the person has resigned to the belief that all is lost forgetting that Jesus has conquered the enemy and we are victorious in Christ Jesus. In this overcoming we must exercise faith to believe in His Word and the work accomplished by Jesus' death and resurrection. When we do not believe in the victory won at the cross and the fact that when He died and went to hell He took the keys of hell, death and the grave from the devil. We are victorious in Christ and need not have a defeatist mentality.

When we live in a defeatist attitude, we are living without hope or victory in our life, and not living out the truth that Jesus won for us .

If we walk in Victory we are walking as God would have us walk and we can have the Victory over every situation in our life for we have the victorious one living in us , and He has given us the power to overcome. when we believe and apply our faith and trust that he will lead us as we walk with him.

Unbelief undermines our faith and denies the victory that Jesus won on the Cross for us and this attitude causes us to fall into a defeatist mentality.

The difference between a defeatist mentality and the victorious, overcoming mentality we are supposed to have in Christ is that the former is a fearful state of mind and existence that does not stand up against the evil in the world; the defeated cowar to the demands/commands of the worldly culture, but the overcomer in Christ is victorious and overcomes this world because their Master has already overcome it; it is evident, however, in the believers' lives when they walk out the commands of a lifestyle of love in this world and oppose the pull of the world's culture and customs. Having a strong faith that Jesus Christ has already overcome the world for you (the ones in Him) and looking forward to the final victory over the present state of the world gives the Christian courage to walk out the life he/she is supposed to live and to stand against the standards of the world. If one suffers from the defeatist's mentality, what it really says is they are not really focusing on the fact that they already have victory in Jesus through what He has already done.

Q1. (1 John 5:4-5) How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world? What part does faith have in this overcoming? What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality? A defeatist mentality is when someone don't believe that there are over-comers by Christ. Many have the attitude that they want to question every thing that will prove to they mine that Christ is not the True and Only Savior. This is what defeat many because of the attitude to what Christ did for us it doesn't seem possible in the mine of dis-believers. We must have faith in all that we do and believe that no matter what by Christ we already have the victory. When many have this unbelief mentality they will fail in all that they do because it's not done to glorify the Kingdom of God. Yes at first it may seem that they are winning but in the final out come they have lost.

rolleyes.gifQ1. (1 John 5:4-5)

How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world?

We have victory, John is saying, because our Master has taken on the world and won. Maintaining this victory over the dominant culture in our own day requires (1) an understanding of Jesus' victory over sin, the world, and the devil, and (2) our faith, that is, our willingness to stand in this truth in our day and live by it. Even though the call of the world rings in our ears, the voice of Jesus is louder still. A defeatist mentality does not recognize that Jesus has already won the victory for us.

What part does faith have in this overcoming?

Faith is believing this and thus it is true for us.smile.gif

What part does unbelief have in a defeatist mentality?

huh.gifA defeatist mentality does not believe that Jesus has won the victory.

A defeatist mentalality is this: if a man thinks in his heart that is defeated than he is defeated. In Proverbs 23:7 states:As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. This differ in the believe that through Christ we have overcome the world because VICTORY is engraved in our DNA as children of the MOST HIGH GOD!!!!THE BATTLE IS ALREADY WON. We our overcomer by faith and believe that God words is true.

The defeatist mentality believes what the world believes; they dont believe that Christ has victory over our sins and Satan.

Patricia

A defeatist is one that dose not believe That Jesus is the son of God. They will not rely on Jesus for Their redemption, They would rather follow the world.

A Believer Puts all their Trust in Christ,to overcome the world, and Truely believe That God will overcome Satan, and The World.

• 2 weeks later...

A defeatist mentality results from not believing that Christ is the Son of God who has, by His resurrection,overcome the sting of death and the victory of the grave. We who believe stand on solid ground knowing we are sons of God through His Son.

Faith is believing and trusting in what can not be seen. If we see it in the natural, is faith necessary? Unbelief is a key ingredient for a defeatist mentality. You live or die by the manipulations and error of the world. It's good to know that we have nothing to fear. Matt 10:28 says, 28And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Cf. Phil 2: 12-13: 12Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. 13For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

We are Victors in God's army.

The one who has a defeatist mentality is passive in the face of evil and evil men, does not take efforts to win the battle against sin and the world , pessimistic about winning over sin; whereas the one who has a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world is, because he knows his Jesus, who has overcome the world, and knows who he is now, that is, he was born of God and Jesus is in him, by holding firmly his faith I Jesus he is optimistic that he will win over sin and the world, and take efforts to win the battle against sin and the world

Faith is standing in the truth of Jesus

• 2 weeks later...

A defeatist mentality leads to self-pity and self-centeredness. A defeatist mentality leads to defeat in most every area of our life. A defeatist mentality is a 'victim' mentality and leaves one to feel helpless and hopeless. An 'overcoming' mentality leads to an idea of victory. An 'overcoming' mentality gives one an unfailing hope. An 'overcoming' mentality leads to a closer personal and intimate relationship with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Faith is the knowing that we have inside of us, that we are more than conquerors and faith believes the love of God in our lives. This belief of His love towards us, can have diverse benefits.

Unbelief leads to hopelessness and hopelessness leads to defeat.

When we are in Christ Jesus, we are victorious, we do not need to be passive and stnad by as an under dog, for we have One in us who has defeated all of the world.

We have to stand in faith , claiming the belief in the love that Jesus had for us by the shedding of His blood. We are winners, it is a completed story....we all have trials and conflicts in this world but great is He who is in me than he who is in the world.

Unbelief makes us "feel" defeated....when if we would walk in faith and belief we would see the burden is light and the yoke is easy because we have a Savior who walks with us.

• 5 months later...

Any belief that we have that diminishes the power of the Holy Spirit in us is a defeatist mentality. It is not a small thing that we are chosen by God, our father, saved by Jesus our redeemer. He overcame death, the world, the devil. This is big, very big. There is nothing bigger for us in this life leading to the next. Still we are human and worry sometimes. This is when we are not near to God, when we abide in Jesus we are close, obedient and filled with the faith that comes from feeling the Holy Spirit in us. Unbelief and lack of faith in the moment is dangerous for us. We can overcome by bowing, submitting and loving our brothers and sisters, and having faith in God's plan for every moment of our lives.

• 9 months later...

1. A defeatist attitude causes you to act passively. Lets things just drift in their lives. In our belief in Christ, we step out in faith, not just drift around passively. We trust in Gods mighty power.

2. Faith is the firm belief that God is with us, and promises to defeat our enemies, and the devil and his menions ARE our enemies.

3. If you don't believe in God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, you will never overcome your fears, your enemies. Time after time you will fail in anything you try to do.

• 4 months later...

Answer:

1. ) How does a defeatist mentality differ from a belief that in Christ we have overcome the world?

The defeatist mentality occurred to believers because of LACK OF KNOWLEDGE..very clearly God has spoken through prophet Hosea… in Hosea 4:6- My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge…

The truth will not set us free from our defeatist attitude…Apostle Paul said that GRACE APPEARED TO ALL MEN,YET NOT ALL MAN ARE SAVED(Titus 2:11- For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men.)..and who is the TRUTH?who is the Grace of GOD?...it is JESUS.

IT IS THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRUTH,WHO JESUS IS WHAT HE HAS DONE IN THE CROSSS,WHAT HIS DEATH,BURIAL,RESURRECTION MEANS THAT SET PEOPLE FREE FROM BONDAGE OF satan.

If you don’t know what you have,(RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD( 2 Cor 5:21),PEACE WITH GOD,THAT YOU ARE LOVED BY GOD AND GIVE YOU FREELY ALL THINGS(Romans 8:32)..)if you don’t know that you have already these because of Jesus finished work in the cross..the..you will still be in bondage thinking that you are still your old miserable flesh..still in Adam’s Sinful Nature.

However if you are in Christ,then you know what you have.Righteousness that does not come from your Work,what you have done,or will be doing,but a free Gift given freely for those who believe that God has sent Jesus to redeem mankind,that Jesus become flesh,so that He can die to redeem us,He was buried,and was resurrected,and now are seated at the right hand of the Father..

That though Jesus shed blood all our sins are forgiven,and because of the redeeming power of his blood,God himself promised not to punished man again for their Sin,ever again…

Isaiah 54:9-“As far as I am concerned, this is like in Noah’s time,when I vowed that the waters of Noah’s flood would never again cover the earth.In the same way I have vowed that I will not be angry at you or shout at you..

GOD MAKING A VOWTO EMPHASIZE GOD FAITHFULNESS,AND INTEGRITY OF HIS WORD…THAT HE MEAN WHAT HE SAY…

IF YOU HAVE THIS KNOWLEDGE THEN YOU WILL NOT FEAR GOD,AND WILL WALK IN SO MUCH GRATITUDE TO HIS LOVE GIVEN TO YOU..WHY?

BECAUSE HE WILL BE MERCIFUL TO YOUR UNRIGHTEOUSNESS,AND WILL REMEMBER NO MORE YOUR SINS(Romans 8:12;Romans 10:17:Jeremiah 31:34)..

AMEN.

• 2 months later...

The faith that overcomes the world is a faith that sees eternal realities, experiences the power of God, and loves Christ to such an extent that the sinful pleasures, secular values, ungodly ways, and selfish materialism of the world not only lose their attraction for us, but also are looked upon with disgust, aversion, and grief. Faith is the cause of victory, the means, the instrument, the spiritual armour and artillery by which we overcome. In and by faith we cleave to Christ in contempt of and opposition to the world. Faith works in and by love to God and Christ in contempt of and opposition to the world. Faith works in and by love to God and Christ and so withdraws us from the love of the world. Faith sanctifies the heart and purifies it from those sensual lusts by which the world obtains such sway and dominion over souls. It receives and derives strength from the object of it, the Son of God, for conquering the frowns andf flatteries of the world. It obtains by gospel promise a right to the indwelling Spirit of grace, that is greater than he who dwells in the world. Unbelief plays a big part in defeatist mentality. We are believing what the world and satan says instead of God and his Word. We are not fully trusting and believing that God will do what He says He will do.