JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Paul's Prayer for the Colossians

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Colossians 1:9-12a) What are the elements of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers?

Knowledge, wisdom, understanding, walk worthy unto the Lord in all pleasing, be fruitful, in every good work, strengthened in all might, patience and long suffering

What are the seven or eight specific results that he prays will be produced in their lives?

To Be filled with the Knowledge of God), Spiritual Wisdom and understanding by the Holy Spirit, Live a life pleasing to Jesus ( A life of worth and glory unto God), Bear fruit, Grow in relationship, Be strengthened by god power Discipleship is qualities of life.

Which of these are most important in a Christian disciple? Which, you think, are least important? What happens when some are missing?

I believe that all of these elements are equally important in a Christian disciple. If some of these elements are missing the Christian will not be able to fully fulfill his/her calling in the Lord.

Q2. (Colossians 1:9-12a) What are the elements of Paul’s prayer for the Colossian believers? What are the seven or eight specific results that he prays will be produced in their lives? Which of these are most important in a Christian disciple? Which, you think, are least important? What happens when some are missing?

1. What are the elements of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers?

1. to know God's will (1:9b)

2. to have spiritual wisdon and understanding (1:9)

3. to live a life worthy of Jesus, one that is pleasing to him (1:10a)

4. to bear fruit by doing good works (1:10b)

5. to grow in knowledge of, or relationship to God (1:10c)

6. to be strengthened by God's power (1:11a) so that you have the qualities of endurance, patience

7. to have thankfulness, and joy (1:11b - 12a)

2. What are the seven or eight specific results that he prays will be produced in their lives?

All of the above.

3. Which of these are most important in a Christian disciple?

I believe that if Paul took the time to tell us of all these elements and what it would produce then I believe all are equally important and go hand in hand. Why, because it

keeps us blanced and in check. I like to look at this way. How can I demonstrate wisdom and knowledge without being thankful for the one who gave it. How do I live a

life worthy of Christ without joy.

4. Which, you think, are least important?

None

5. What happens when some are missing?

We become out of balance and our testimony becomes a question of our faith and belief.

Question 2

a.

Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers:

- He asks God to fill them with the knowledge of his will.

- He asks God for all spiritual wisdom and understanding for them.

- He asks that the Colossian believers may live a life worthy of the Lord, pleasing to him in every way.

- He asks that they will bear fruit in every good work.

- He asks that they will grow in the knowledge of God.

- He asks that they be strengthened with all power according to God's glorious might.

- He asks that they may have great endurance and patience.

- He asks that the Colossians believers will joyfully give thanks to the Father.

b.

- Knowledge of God and growing in that knowledge.

- All spiritual wisdom and understanding.

- A life worthy of the Lord and pleasing to him in every way.

- Strengthened with all power to the glorious might of God.

- Endurance

- Patience

- Thanksgiving

- Qualification to share the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.

c.

I do not think any of these are least important or most important for that matter. They are all all important, of life giving importance.

If I have to pick one for being the best, then I would (reluctantly) pick "Knowledge of God and growing in the knowledge of God". Intimacy with God is what we have been created for.

The least important? No, am not going there, I could not!

d.

When some or even just one of the things mentioned in "b" is missing in our lives, then we are not "complete" and we might miss out on the full grace and blessing of God. We might miss oout on what God wants to give to us. He wants to give us everything.

The elements of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers are that he wants them to live a life worthy of the Lord, to bear spiritual fruit, and to grow in the knowledge of God.

The 7 or 8 specific results that he prays will be produced in their lives are:

1] to know God's will

2] to have spiritual wisdom and understanding

3] to live a life worthy of Jesus-one that is pleasing to Him

4] to bear fruit by doing good works

5] to grow in knowledge of, or relationship to God

6] to be strengthened by God's power

7] to have the qualities of endurance,patience,thankfulness,and joy

I believe all these qualities are important in a Christian disciple. When some of them are missing then they stop growing in the faith and knowledge of God.

Q2. (Colossians 1:9-12a) What are the elements of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers? What are the seven or eight specific results that he prays will be produced in their lives? Which of these are most important in a Christian disciple? Which, you think, are least important? What happens when some are missing?

Colossians 1:9-12a - for this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father,

What are the elements of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers? v.9- Asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding; v.10 - And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God

What are the seven or eight specific results that he prays will be produced in their lives? Per Pastor Ralph's commentary as follows:

To know God's will (1:9b).

To have spiritual wisdom and understanding (1:9).

To live a life worthy of Jesus, one that is pleasing to him (1:10a).

To bear fruit by doing good works (1:10b).

To grow in your knowledge of, or relationship to, God (1:10c).

To be strengthened by God's power (1:11a)

You have the qualities of endurance, patience, thankfulness, and joy (1:11b-12a).

Which of these are most important in a Christian disciple? Which, you think, are least important? What happens when some are missing? I believe that all are important and if you leave anyone of them out, you will be missing out on the glorious relationship that you would have with Christ.

The element of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers is that God would fill them with the knowledge of his will so that they would gain spiritual wisdom and understanding.

The results that Paul prays will be produced are:

1. Living a life worthy of the Lord

2. Pleasing him in every way

3. Bearing fruit in every good work

4. Growing in the knowledge of God

5. Being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might

6. Having great endurance and patience

7. Joyfully giving thanks to the Father

I think the most important for a Christian disciples is the first one which is to live a life worthy of the Lord and the second one which is to please him in every way. Who or what are you living for? If you are living for the Lord then the choices you make should be pleasing to him in every way. The others (#'s 3 thru 7) will be a result of 1 and 2. If 1 and 2 are missing you cannot produce 3 thru 7 because everything starts with who you live for.

Q2. (Colossians 1:9-12a) What are the elements of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers?

That they will grow in the knowledge of God

That they will bear fruit through their works

That they will be strengthened.

What are the seven or eight specific results that he prays will be produced in their lives?

That they will:

Know God’s Will

Have spiritual wisdom and understanding

Live a life pleasing to Jesus

Do good works

Grow in their relationship to God

Be strengthened by God’s Power.

Have the qualities of endurance and patience,

thankfulness and joy

Which of these are most important in a Christian disciple?

I think all are important, but if I had to choose just one, I would say know God’s Will.

Which, you think, are least important?

I think each one is as important as the other.

What happens when some are missing?

Our witness would be ineffective and we would no longer be pleasing to God.

(Colossians 1:9-12)

What are the elements of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers?

The elements consist of obtaining knowledge, wisdom, and understanding.

Paul prays that these areas will be produced in their lives: to walk worthy of the Lord, to be fruitful in their good work, to increase in the knowledge of God, to be strengthened in all might, to obtain patience, to achieve joy, and to endure long suffering.

It is without a doubt to be filled with the knowledge of God's will. As Christians when we form a deep relationship to the Lord, we will acquire wisdom, understanding, love, joy, peace, and all of the other attributes listed in these verses.

Which you think are least important?

All of them are important. You can not eliminate any as the least important.

We tend to become self-centered. We only think about our needs and not the needs of others. After all, we have been placed on this earth to serve others as Jesus served others when he lived on this earth.

That the young church will not fall for old traditions and or philosophies or. That they don't get discouraged and lose their faith. That the fruit of the spirit will abound gracefully in the lives. The greatest of these is love. I believe that each fruit over shadows the other they are all equally important. We tend to lead an unbalance life.

Colossians 1:9-12 (New International Version)

9For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. 10And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, 11being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully 12giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you[a] to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.

What are the elements of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers?

The prayer is for God to fill them with the knowledge of His will, for wisdom and understanding.

To please Him and to bear fruit. And to be thankful.

Both. As Christians, our lives should show fruit to a lost world and when we do His will, we will be pleasing to Him.

Which, you think, are least important?

They are all important.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first element is concerned with letting these believers know that they are being prayed for continually. The second element addresses specifics of those prayers. The third element reminds them of the results of those prayers. The results of those prayers are that they are filled with the knowledge of His will, wisdom, and spiritual understanding. He also tells them that he wants them to walk worthy, be fully pleasing, being fruitful ine every good work, and increase their knowledge of G-d. Another result of the prayers being sent to these believers is that they are strengthened according to G-d's power, patience with longsuffering and joy, and that they give thanks to the Father who has given them an inheritance. All of these results are equally important because they complement one another. Each result builds upon the other resulting in becoming spiritually equipped to deal with a fallen world.If one of these results is missing or ignored, the foundation crumbles because it becomes weak.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the last poster that these elements are inter-related. Knowledge can result in good works, but I think even the reverse can happen: God producing a good work in you can increase your faith and thus your knowledge. These are all equally important, and if I could grow in just one of these areas over the next year I would be blessed!

Q2. (Colossians 1:9-12a) What are the elements of Paul's prayer for the Colossian believers? What are the seven or eight specific results that he prays will be produced in their lives? Which of these are most important in a Christian disciple? Which, you think, are least important? What happens when some are missing?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question:What are the elements of Paul

• 5 weeks later...