JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith without Repentance

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

You must repent of your sins before you ask Christ into your heart so he can cleanse you from all unrighteousness. To avoid the conviction of heart or admitting they sinned.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happen when a person don't repent? I have come to realize that a lot of people myself included think that we are always on the right track with God. And when God tell us that we need to repent.We will in private but sometime it hard in front of people But I have come to realize that we need to repent when God pull on our hearts no matter where we are. Who around we have to repent so we can heard God voice when he talk to us.

When people claim Christianity (and even accept Jesus as their personal savior) without repenting of known sins, the world gets a distorted view of what Christianity is. Secondly, a lack of repentance means that people are not seeking the transforming power of Christ in their lives (i.e they are not crying out for God's help to overcome their sins), thus they are not experiencing Christ's transformation in their lives (or a very limited part of it). How can we be in Christ without ongoing transformation? Romans 12:2 states, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will." According to this verse, without repentance, we are unable to discern God's will for our lives. (wow!) Finally, a commitment to Christian faith without repentance means that we want Jesus to be our Savior, but not the Lord of our lives. We like how Christianity benefits us, but we are not willing to give up our own self-gratification for the sake of Christ.

We avoid repentance because we like pleasing or own flesh (self-gratification) by doing what feels good to our flesh and following after our own desires, rather than following Christ. Satan is a tempter and he continues to tempt us to gratify our flesh (Matthew 4: 1-3). We also continue to avoid repentance because of a lack of discipline and spiritual strength, which is the result of reading the Word of God, persisting in prayer, etc. (described as putting on the full armor of God, as outlined in Ephesians 6:13 and on).

To repent is both death and life. Romans 8:13 states: "For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live," Therefore, repentance is death because we must die to our flesh and it is also life because through putting our flesh "to death", we wholeheartedly follow Christ and can live an abundant life in Him. John's prophetic words to the seven churches in the book of Revelation cautions us against being hypocritical and divided, half in Christ and half in the world.

I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16So, because you are lukewarm

First of all I do not believe that one can sincerely adopt the Christian faith without repenting. Adopting Christianity means giving up the worldly things we use to do against God and becoming a follower of Christ Jesus. Giving up something means refraining from it and refraining is the same as repenting. That is not to say we will no longer sin but we no longer practice sinning. I feel that people avoid repentance because they do not want to give up their

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins? Why do people avoid repentance? What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

The study shows us that entering into the Kingdom of Heaven should be initiated with repentance, turning the way, the focus, the heart into the Kingdom, the God. It is an real action; not just understand the concept of Christian faith. No repentance, no change of position from current worldly life into heavenly life.

Some people avoid repentance but adopt the christian faith, mostly because of diffulty to remove from their confort zone into the Kingdom(Eventhough actually we have a very conform life in the Kingdom of God). It is difficult to accept the disagreement with social groups. for example, for Batak people who are Christians (Batak people is one of etnic in Indonesia who received the missionaries several centuries ago), they still conduct sincretism by worshipping the territorial god of Debata Mulajadi Nabolon by doing tradition during celebration of life cycle rites.SOme people to avoid this sincretism usually isolated socially.

Perhaps, majority of christians live in unrepentant and unprepared heart for the Kingdom of Heaven, as it is true in my etnic Batak people.May God help them to repent from their sinful life.

I think people who adopt the Christian faith without repenting of our sins, make them hypocrites, and not worthy of being a follower of Christ, we cannot be a true Christian if we do not repent of our sins, I ask God to show me my sins and he has, and is doing so I am not a good wholesome person but I believe the Holy spirit is helping to cleanse my soul. I believe I was born of sin and have been a sinner all my life and feel I need to repent of my sins daily.

Some people avoid repentance as they do not believe they are sinners or worst of all believe that Christ has paid the price

Adopting Christianity without repentance is like living in a foreign country and adopting the ways of the natives without taking steps to become a citizen. You're in yet still out.

Repentance is necessary to show true remorse for what we caused our Lord to have to suffer. I believe the Ten Commandments are supposed to be a vital part of our goal to achieve to be like our Lord. However, I do know that is impossible. If we had to spend every other moment asking God for forgiveness for any little thought that was wrong, etc. I think his work would have been in vain. I am anxious to see how you tie this all together as I go through this study.

WE ARE NOT TRULY FOLLOWER OF CHRIST IF WE DO NOT TOTALLY REPENT.WE WILL FILL THE HOLY SPIRIT WITHIN US WHEN WE SIN

KNOWINGLY AND DO NOT REPENT. REPENTENANCE IS A DAILY PART OF OUR LIVES. MOST PEOPLE DO NOT FEEL IT NECESSARY TO REPENT.

When people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their sins,they end up following their own desires which often are in direct conflict with God's commands and Christ's teachings.

People avoid repentance because they don't won't to admit they are sinners. Also because they may have pet sins they are unwilling to give up.

Sadly,I believe at least 50% or more of Christians are unrepentant.Rather or not they have truly accepted Christ,only God knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins?

People remain condemed sinners when they adopt the Christian faith without repenting because they are still in control and being their own god. Thi

Why do people avoid repentance? I think people avoid it because they are ignorant. If people are not taught properly they feel that going to church will do it. I know I used to live that way.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart? I can't say but I think it is more than a few.

Q#1 - That would make it highly questionable whether they have genuinely received Christ as Savior according to the Scriptures. It is possible they may have adopted some of the tenets of the faith or adopted some of the teachings into their lifestyle. But if one did adopt the Christian faith without repenting of known sins they would continue to sink deeper into their sins. The rough and rugged places in their hearts as described by the prophet Isaiah would not be made straight.

Number of reasons people avoid repentance. Among them ignorance of God's Word, hardness of the heart, enjoyment of fleshly desires, guilt, embarrassment, exposure, etc.

As far as a percentage, it would be difficult to place a number on it, but if I had to venture a guess I would assume it would follow the divorce rate for Christians which is around 50 %.

• 1 month later...

If people do not truly repent, then they continue to crucify Jesus on the cross. The whole idea of Jesus dying on the cross was to die for our sins. So when we repent, we are to confess our sins and change the way we live. Yes, we are all human and we will make mistakes and we will continually have to ask for forgiveness, BUT changing the way we live is the key. Living our life in a way that shows we truly have changed our 'mind', our 'heart' and our 'ways'. If we say we have repented but we never stop living the way our old self did, then we have not repented at all.

I think repentence is avoided because it requires discipline. It requires really changing the way we used to live. It requires us to stop being selfish, stop being self sufficient, and to stop doing the things that we know does not please God. God desires good things for our lives and when we continually do things that we know do not please God, we are not really living for him. We are trying to fake it. Repentence is a hard and naroow road. Not a pompous, rightous one, but one that is filled with temptations, one that is difficult because we are called to a higher standard of living. It is not easy. It requires us to bite our tongue when we so depserately want to rip off the head of someone who just said something so mean to us. It requires us to give up money, time or possession, when we selfishly do not want to give them up. It is hard to part with time, money and possessions.

I think 80% of the people in church, show up on Sunday, and are not truly living repentful lives. Not because they do not want to, but because they are not properly led, it becomes too difficult and they have no support system, or they really do not believe in "all that stuff".

Living a repentful life requires us to do things that sometimes we simply do not want to do; that is difficult. However, Jesus said the reward would be great and he desires these things for us because they truly are better for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that becoming a Chrsitian without repentance is like the Word falling on fallow ground. There may be enough nourishment in the first moments of faith to carry one for a short while. Our nourishment is from the relationship that we have with the Father- the rain and food for the seed. No repentance means that we begin that relationship without the honest self-assessment that is the basis for acceptance. If one doesn't acknowledge the sin, one can't know the forgiveness, and can't be nourished. That seed won't root.

Repentance is a hard, hard thing- it is so difficult to admit that one isn't perfect, or that one needs something so desperately. i think our culture is one of making oneself appear as shiny as possible, despite the reality. If one has to peel back the layers and look at the reality, can one really live with the pain of that? I know that God makes those painful steps into an act of love, but it is frightening.

They are like the five (5) foolish virgins in the story of the Ten virgins, they have no oil in their lamps, its not that it has gone out but rather it was never there they have no walk with Christ.

They are the ones that cause disruption and problems in the church. When these persons hold key positions in the church as they sometimes do, it brings about a turning away from the church and those bearing the conviction of the Holy spirit in some cases turn away and are afraid to be in their midst or that of the church.

Avoiding repentance is having the mind that, oh today I want to be on the river and the next moment on the bank and there is nothing am willing to do to change my life style. I do as I please, I go as I wills and I will be accepted for what I say I am. My choice is my life, and my life is my choice.

Am of the belief that more than half of the church is unprepared tomeet Christ because they feel they have as much time as they need to get ready for His coming. Having the mind of Christ and the desire to be in a close relationship with Him takes denying yourself not of some things, places and people but rather ALL. A new born creature desireing the sincere MILK of the word.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=993

The road to true repentance of our sins is a process that takes hard work, but god has given us the holy spirit to condemn us when we do sin, we have this human nature which we called the flesh. I had became a christian for some time, and at times, I easily get persuaded by the Devil/Satan to do things that is displeasing to the Lord. Every sin is equal in weight in his eyes, and if we truly repent of our sins, he is just and faithful and will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. But if we continue to sin, we will have to examine our hearts again, and allow him to change our heart so we will despise sin like God would. We adopt the Christian faith, but we not perfect, we still fall time to time, but God still loves the sinner, but he hates the sin. We will have to put our faith and trust in the lord to deliver us since we still inherit the sin from our 1st parents Adam and Eve.

I understand why people avoid repentance because of pride, and because people don't want to give up lustful pleasures that had been their habit or addiction for so long, and it is just too hard to give up or they are too lazy to practice living a righteous life since living a wicked or evil life is so easy and accessible, this is my opinion on why people avoid repentance, they are just unwilling to accept discipline and hate to have some unseen force to take control of their lives.

The question on what percentage of Christians today do I think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart. It is hard to determine the percentage, but I know that their are a lot of people in this world that are not saved yet, since I know by my personal experience with this world, and what people choose to do with their lives in action. I see gamblers, drug addicts, and sex addicts and murderers and corrupt people all over the place in the media, on the news, and so on and so forth. I know the percentage must be high, so our job is to share the good news as christians since we are suppose to be disciples for Christ.

I think that people who adopt the Christian faith without repenting of known sins miss the whole point of being a Christian. Unrepentence produces a wall between God and the person concerned so that an intimate relationship cannot flourish. We avoid repentence because it is an admittance of failure. We want to feel that we are worth something. Admitting our sins seems like a weakness and does not seem to help us in our desire to be admired by others. It is impossible to say what percentage of Christians today are unrepentant and unprepared in heart. Only God knows what is really going on in a person

What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins?

Their adoption of the faith would be in vain. Where there is no repentance there is no remission of sin, and where there is no remission there is no separation from sin. (Luke 24:47) Jesus not only removes our sin, He separates us from our sin. When separated from our sin, the Father can then and only then see us as righteous, holy, pure and acceptable. Sin and holiness is like water and oil, they will not mix, and we must be to the Father, of one or the other .. Sinful or Holy.

Why do people avoid repentance?

It is painful and humiliating and shameful to acknowledge that we are flawed and therefore worthless. "The Christian has a great advantage over other men, not by being less fallen than they nor less doomed to live in a fallen world, but by knowing that he IS a fallen man in a fallen world." C.S. Lewis

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

It must be quite a large percentage. A paraphrase of what Jesus said, "Wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction and many will go this way". "Straight is the gate and narrow is the way that leads to life, and few there will be who will find this way." (Matt. 7:13&14)

• 4 weeks later...

1. What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins?

When you accept Christ not all of your sins will be known to you. It will be revealed little at a time. But as they are revealed and they are not repented for punishment will take place.

2. Why do people avoid repentance?

I'm sure there are numerous reasons why they don't do what they should. Some could be, they like living the way they are living. Their bad habits are hard to break out of. What the Word of God has to

say is hard to take. Pride etc.

3. What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

Wouldn't know the percentage.

When a person says they are a Christian but has not wholeheartedly repented they will not be walking according to the way that pleases God. And it is for the same reason why a person avoids repentance because they do not want to change their ways and turn around and follow after Jesus. They are happy and content in their sins. I don't think we can really know the percentage of Christians that are unrepentant because we cannot know a person's heart. Repentance is something inward between a person and God. But at the same time a truly repentant person will produce fruit of the Holy Spirit that can be seen by others.

When people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins they are not being authentic. It is a false faith. I lived that way for almost 10 years, faithful to the church but not faithful to God. I was doing "good" deeds but had not made any changes to my heart, was still following the laws of man.

I think people avoid repentance because then they would have to admit their sins. Admitting your sins is difficult for one thing; identifying them without the word of God showing you the way is impossible. We so easly condone our lives based on the ways of the world. For example the legalization of abortion: man said it was ok so it must be.

I think 90% of Christians today are unrepentant, unprepared in heart. Most Christians that I know still believe doing good deeds is the way to Gods heart.

• 2 months later...

When a person adopts the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins, their life will not show any change outwardly and inwardly. People avoid repentence when they want to do things their way and not God's way. Maybe 25% of Christians are unrepentant and unprepared in heart.

What happens when people adopt the Christian faith without repenting of their known sins?

Such people will continue calling themselves Christians but only by words but not in reality. John the Baptist was clear in his message: people should repent to be ready for the Kingdom of God. Thus, a Christian who does not repent is not for the Kingdom of God.

Why do people avoid repentance?

People avoid repentance beacuse they are not Christians at heart, only by words; they don't follow the command of the Lord.

What percentage of Christians today do you think are unrepentant, unprepared in heart?

I think it can be about 75% or 80%.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.As I look at John the Baptist, and those who came to him he said who told you to save yourself. We as people want to receive Salvation, Forgiveness, without giving up what we have, the story of the rich man, oh how its hard to enter into the Kingdom, its even difficult for us to enter because we are hindered with money or riches yes, But also all our other garbage, thoughts opinions, rituals, traditions well it goes on. The Bible says broad is the road to destruction and narrow is the way to life and few find it. Only Noah and his family were saved the rest perished.