JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Christ and His Churches

Q5. What is the significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands? (1:12-20) What does this teach us about the church? What does it teach us about Jesus?

a. The significance of Jesus walking among the lampstands is to show us that He lives, He is all powerful and He has claimed the Church for His own. He is the first, and the last. The hope and salvation, the Ancient of Days.

b. He has conquered dearth and is willing to share what He has with us.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than bearing witness to the world and offering redemption to all mankind, He is witnessing to His churches as well as rebuking them. He no longer is walking among alll mankind, He is walking among His churches of believers.

It teaches us that the church is where we need to be if we are to walk with Jesus. Though the churches needed rebuking, as well as encouragment, Jesus loves them enough to be with them during the end times.

It also teaches us that Jesus wants to share with His churches the rewards He shares with the Father. Jesus shows His patience by rebuking their shortcomings and offering them one more chance (like we haven't had enough chances) to heed His words. Jesus also lets it be known that He is here this time to pass judgement if they don't.

I had to really think about this question for a day or two. I can't help but feel I may have missed something.

Q5. What is the significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands? (1:12-20) What does this teach us about the church? What does it teach us about Jesus?

I think the significance of Jesus among, and the important word is among, the lampstands is that He is the center of the churches, He is the light among the lesser lights, His is the brightest and the one that the other lights help illuminate; the light of the lampstands helps guide those towards the center of the light, that point where you are being led and that this will be the ultimate goal for your life----the bright light at the center of the lampstand.

For myself I would say Christ gives us hope as we face difficult times and gives guidance when we are wavering in our Faith.Christ message to the church ia a message of hope for all believers.Jesus stand among the lampstands ,and no matter what the churches face,Jesus protects them with all his love and reassuring power.Through his Spirit Jesus is still among the churches today.This teaches us"Jesus was (and is)AMONG the Churches.He was not(and is not) among the Church BUILDINGS,He is among the CHURCHES.The Churches are not buildings they are PEOPLE;so Jesus was(and is) among the BELIEVERS of today.Matt:28:20"I Am With You Always".

Christ being in the Midst of the 7 Candlesticks:

Midst: Centered among us... Head of the Church; Bride: completeness; ONE

7 Candlesticks: 7 likenesses of what makes up the Body; Bride

Every person who makes up the Body is One with Christ; He is Centered or the Head of the Body. Every person will find also each church has both character flaws and character commendations which reflect our walk with God.

Christ being Centered among the Candlesticks means His light shines throughout those 7 candlesticks; which is the light of the World.

7 Candlesticks that rest upon Christ... Christ holds them together; liken unto a lampstand. The flame from Christ is the Head of the Candle... His light shines brighter than all the other candlesticks. We therefore uphold Him higher in Authority over all others.

This is why I believe when He speaks of one not putting their candle under a bed it means not to hide it. Put it upon a lampstand for others to see. If one hides the candle the light cannot shine and the house may burn to the ground.

Jesus is the fire. A wick and candle cannot function to it's ability it was created for unless one lights it. This is one candle that never burns out.

with love in Him, sunshine

What is the significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands? The lampstands represent the 7 churches. It shows that he is walking among the 7 churches saying Fear Not, I am the first and the last. I am He that liveth and was dead but I am alive forevermore and have the keys of hell and of death.

He is present among us - not sitting on His throne waiting for us. He is the light of the world. He cares for us - He doesn't want us to go to hell. He wants us to communicate with Him - to know Him - wants us to love Him and remain true to Him.

Lampstand - Jesus is with us and with the churches of today. Therefore, Jesus is the Light of the World.

But when as the end of times come, the false prophets and false religions will be destroyed.

I believe the exalted christ among the church in revelation is a clear indicator that he must be the focus of our worship within the body, we must totally depend on his guidance to have the effective church that he intends for us. if we dont, we end up being like one of the seven churches mentioned in chapters 2 and 3, most had good qualities, but were still a dissapointment in one area or another.

The significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands is that He is among the place where his Father called us to worship. The church is where we get together to worship the Lord and sing His praises. This teaches us that He stays with us at all times: where God's word is spoken, where praise and glory are given to Him, where His people should want to go to be in His presence.

Since the book was written christians for two thousand years read it and realise that Christ in active among his church. The presence of his spirit is at every meeting of two or three who are gathered feeding the needs of the followers, working with us, correcting us. In a sense ruling us.

I believe that Jesus walking amoung the seven golden candlesticks, sense we know the candlesticks represent the Churches is a message to the church that he is still in control and that these are His churchs and not mans. And that he still shows them love even tho the churches were in some cases being chastised he still loved and is willing to lead them.

It tells us that JESUS is as his word says a loving father, concerned about his church. That even tho may have strayed a little off course he was there wiht arms out striched to gently pull them back to himself. That He will never give up on them. That he is true and faithful to his word to never leave nor forsake them.

Q5. What is the significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands? (1:12-20) What does this teach us about the church? What does it teach us about Jesus

He knows the hearts of men, and the sin that's in the Church, and He is warning them to turn from sin least they be judged. No matter how hard we try, there will always be sin in the Church. Satan's angel's are there every time the doors are opened. Christ Love's the Church, and wants us as his Disciple's to remove sin from the Church, so he can Bless us.

Jesus is God and the significance of Him walking among the lampstands is to reaffirm that Jesus is the light of the world. He is the highest authority and He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead. Evil will be overcome.

I always thought Revelation would be hard to understand. It is. I thought it would be frightening - fire and brimstone. It is not. It gives me great comfort and hope for eternal life. What a joy it will be to walk among Christ and all the angels and saints and all our loved ones in a time of true love.

I think Pastor Ralph's explanations are thoughtfully and well-written. I'm a bit slow getting started, but think I will enjoy this very much. Thank you.

This represents that Jesus is among believers.

He is always in the midst of His church.

He is the head of the church.

Jesus walk among the lampstands signifies that He is the Light of the world.

While Jesus was on earth, John had Jesus as a Teacher, friend, leader, guide etc. i.e. a normal person. But now he sees Jesus as a glorified being, full of wisdom, power, & energy. The graphic description from verses 12-15 speak a lot about His glory. Completely different from the picture John had of Jesus while on earth. Complete contrast from a Carpenter/Teacher to a glorified being. Having experienced the two states, of living, Jesus is sure to make us also like Him, according to His promise in John 14:3. He is going to keep us with Him and share His glory. The Church need not fear anything from this world. Whatever trials and tribulations the church faces now, are just temporary and soon the Bridegroom will come and receive His Bride (church) to be with Him. What a great future for the church.

The knowledge that Christ is walking among the lampstands, or churches, is a great encouragement to today's persecuted communities of faith because it is an assurance that Christ is not remote but very near and actively involved in their welfare. This teaches us that the Church is essential to God's purpose for the world and that God's will is for the Church to continue the ministry of Christ with the help of the Trinitarian God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

What an encouragement,what a reassurance to note that the King of Kings is in constant and protective watch of his Church, for which He has made the greatest sacifice evermade. More so, when the early church is going through so many persecutions, right from its birth. It is so marvelous to note, how the Holy Spirit has guided them in those days. All glory, honor and praise be to our Lord and savior Jesus Christ, for ever and ever. Amen!!

The significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands is a powerful image for us that Jesus is still walking among us and is with us.

That the Church - all the Christians - have Christ as the head and we are His members/witnesses. He is always there to encourage and support the Church. That the Church is being closely protected by Christ. How marvellous and great!

We need not be afraid to approach Jesus for our needs. Jesus is present - yesterday, today and for ever! :P

:) The significance of the exalted Jesus walking among the lampstands is that Jesus is the Light who will give light to the lampstands. What's the use of a lampstand or a candlestick without the light? Lampstands will fulfill their purpose by bearing light.

:) The church can only serve its purpose if Jesus is exalted in their midst. If Jesus is the center in the life of the church, they will let their light so shine before men, that they may see their good works and glorify their Father which is in heaven. Praise the Lord!!!

:) Apart from Jesus we are nothing. But with Jesus at the center of our lives, we can do great and mighty things for God.

+ The churches are His own and He knows them well. He is familiar enough to walk among them. ^_^

+ The long robe & sash signifies that Jesus is the high Priest, (Ex 28). This portion tells us Jesus walks among the churches as the Living God & tells John to write about this..

Jesus walking among the churches shows us that He is with them (and us). He is the light, and is walking among the (representations) light, of Christ on the earth. "Where two or more are gathered, there am I in the midst of them."

The significance of Jesus walking among us is that He is there and always will be there for us! He has not forsaken the church even now, and in the past, and in the future.