JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Judgment and Gospel

Q3. (1:17) Why are people in our culture so upset when they sense they are being judged by someone else? How do you reconcile final judgment with God's love for the world? Why must final judgment be at the core of the Good News of Jesus Christ? What happens to the Gospel when final judgment is left out or ignored?

People of the world are told to worship things of the world and to possess them and enjoy them above all else, to be consumers, to buy things. They are told to enjoy seeing Victoria secret commercials and to imagine how goood "it" will be with her.

People don't want to conform to the humble, self-controlled, sober way that Perter is call us to. It si not as much fun as enjoy9ing the pleasure of the world. Why listen to Perter they say? Why even crack open the bible and reas this stuff, it is no fun compared to what the world offers?

If we forget who created us and why, we'll get what we're asking for now, and end up dead when we die. But God will call us to come to Him, gently and with wisdom and grace. What He has is far better, once we can feel it a bit, we want more and more, giving ourselves to Him.

Final judgment is simply how did we act and react after we knew Him and how beautiful it was for Him to sacrifice His royal throne and come here and serve us to teach us how to serve.

it makes no sense to focus on what might happen if we ignore final judgement. We need to remember there is a final judgment and we christian will be judged first. Why, because we have no excuse, we know what He promised us. We know whatg he told us to do. Now is the time ot focus and to do it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1:17) Why are people in our culture so upset when they sense they are being judged by someone else? How do you reconcile final judgment with God's love for the world? Why must final judgment be at the core of the Good News of Jesus Christ? What happens to the Gospel when final judgment is left out or ignored?

I believe that people get upset when they sense they are being judged because they feel like we christians think we are holier than them, not realizing we are trying to uphold God's standards in our lives.Some get upset because they struggle with guilt and shame over their own sins; they've been convicted by the Holy Spirit,but won't repent.

God has to judge sin because He says in His Word there is a final judgment coming.A lot of people, including christians, don't realize that God is our Righteous Judge to whom we will one day give an account to.This always motivate me to try and do what's right because without a final judgment, there would be no purpose for doing right or wrong.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure. Maybe because they dont want to be held responsible for their actions. Or they dont want someone else they view as an "equal" to tell them what's right or wrong and how to live their lives. Because love is a two way street and if you reject His love why should he not judge you? Even after He has provided a way to escape the judgement because of His love. Also how fair would that be for those who gave their lives to and for Him to get the same treatment as those who didnt? Because Jesus took our judgement on Himself.It becomes another Gospel.

I think they get upset because honestly they don't want to be held accountable for their actions, almost as if it makes them feel guilty and they don't want to because they want to keep going on living the way there are living and to keep justifying that its right. I think God has to judge us to show us he loves us and the reason I say that is because he loves us so much he wants us to live sinless and away from evil and in order to have us do that there would have to be a judgement. And final judgement has to be the core of the Good News simply because the only reason we are saved from the judgement is because of Jesus. When it is left out I honestly think the Gospel is taken advantage of.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (1:17) Why are people in our culture so upset when they sense they are being judged by someone else?

People in our culture are so upset when they sense they are being judged by someone else because they see that person as not being any different than they are, having the same flaws; sin.

How do you reconcile final judgment with God's love for the world?

Because of God's love for the world he sent his only begotton Son to be the proptiation for mankind's sin. God's love provided a way that man can be redeemed from sin and the final judgment to give man his just reward.

Why must final judgment be at the core of the Good News of Jesus Christ?

Final judgment must be at the core of the Good News of Jesus Christ because He is the RuleMaker.

What happens to the Gospel when final judgment is left out or ignored?

When final judgment is left out or ignored the Gospel the teaching of righteousness, self-control and other fruit of the Spirit is ignored.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

1) People do not like to be held responsible for their own actions. Judgement demands a verdict.... what will the findings reveal about the person's character or intent. People care what others really think about them. (Both good and bad)

2) God has always been the same yesterday, today and forever. He has never changed His standards. According His standards, we all are guilty of sin and deserve to be punished in accordance with His holy law. Yet in the midst of the chaos, God knew that sacrifice was not enough to atone for the sins in our lives so He sent His only son Jesus to take all the punishment for us. His love for us, caused God to send His son to earth to die on a cross for us.

3) God is holy and expects holiness in return! Without judgement there is no need for a saviour. If we fail to express God's standards regarding righteous and holy living(unobtainable by our good works alone), we fail to understand God' expectations of us. Without fear, there is no need for forgiveness of our sins, no judgement for our actions and we can live as we please. Fearing God causes us to pursue God's standards.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (1:17) Why are people in our culture so upset when they sense they are being judged by someone else? I think that everyone likes to think that they are basically good people, that they have never done anyone any harm, that they do good. Whilst that may be true when comparing ourselves with each other, that can never be true in God

• 2 weeks later...

People just do not want others to descide if they are either good or bad in what they are doing. We do not want to be held accountable for our actions or to be told we have missed the mark. God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that says it all if He loves us that much then surley He has earned the right to descide what is just in each of our lives. Judgement must come because God is truly Holy and no sin can enter His presence, and only Jesus can make us holy He is our defender before the Father and without His shed blood we can never come before the Father.When final judgement is omitted from the gospel people lose a reason for faith in the attoning poweer of Christ, they get an I can do anything attitude and its ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. (1:17) Why are people in our culture so upset when they sense they are being judged by someone else?

Everyone, despite apparent statements to the contrary, cares very much how they are perceived by others. Even the full-on alternative culture folk with the tattoos and piercings and bodily mutilations care how they're perceived. It's at the heart of human nature. We all crave acceptance, even if it's only by the outcasts and freaks in society. When we sense that our peers . . . or our societal opposites are judging us we freak out over it. In many cases we may feel superior to the people who appear to be judging us and that only makes us react with even more hostility. "How dare you judge me! You're only a . . ."

John 3:16.

Simply because Jesus came to seek and to save that which was lost.

There is no incentive to accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior if there is nothing to fear from not doing so.

The denominations (or cults, if that's the way you roll) who preach the annihilation of the wicked rather than an eternity spent in hell for the wicked aren't really giving people any reason to join their ranks because people will think: "Hey, I've had a good life. If I die and that's that . . . so what?"

• 6 months later...

3a)People feel resentful of others making judgements,maybe fearful that not as good as others.Pride rises.Need to remember I’m sinner saved by grace.

b)Jesus’ sacrifice that we as believers would be spared in the final judgement, is God’s act of love for the world.God is just,merciful and forgives but will give punishment to all who do not follow and submit to his teaching.

c)When Jesus returns those who have turned to him in faith will be protected when we are judged by heavens standards,& raised with the saints for eternity with Jesus in new heaven. This is vital in the good news.

d)Gospel without final judgement no reward for accepting Christ’s atonement for our sins.We would be worldly not holy.

• 6 months later...

God is not only our Father and loves everyone, but he is also a judge and for him to wink at sin as if it never happened would be to go against His very nature. He will judge it now by allowing circumstances to come into your life to get your attention. In eternity we will have to give an account of our entire life.

We, by our relationship with Christ can begin to judge others who are not saved, or even judge other believers becuase they are not where we think they should be spiritually. We are called to be witnesses, not judges.

• 1 month later...

We are by nature stiff-necked, not wanting anyone else to impose their standards upon us or measure us by their standards. In the final judgement, God will separate all evil from his people and from the new heavens and earth. Without that the promises of life without suffering, without tears could not be fulfilled…The gospel is no good news at all if what we have to look forward to is continuing to live side by side with sin eternally.

• 7 months later...

People live in a duality.  They want to conduct themselves anyway they want to without judgment.  John chapter 1 probably explains it best.  Humanity loves darkness and ignorance and when light is shined in their direction they get uncomfortable and angry.

God created humanity and gave humanity free will.  Everyone reaps what they sow.  Love includes justice.  God's judgment is just based on each person's decision making.  Throughout the history of humanity God has given us a clear direction in choosing life or death.  Humanity has brought and brings judgment upon itself.  For good or bad. 

Jesus said that "He did not come into the world to condemn the world, because the world is already condemned but to save the world."

See John 3.

When the final judgment is left out of the Gospel or ignored the whole point of Jesus Christ dying on the cross for the atonement of sin and death is missed.  Jesus died so each person could have a relationship with God the Father and eternal life in His presence and for His purposes.  The primary purpose being a love relationship between creator and created.  Most of humanity has made themselves demigods and have rejected a relationship with Him.  Why would a person reject God all of their earthly lives and then want to spend eternality with Him?

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Q3. (1:17) Why are people in our culture so upset when they sense they are being judged by someone else? How do you reconcile final judgment with God's love for the world? Why must final judgment be at the core of the Good News of Jesus Christ? What happens to the Gospel

when final judgment is left out or ignored?

Maybe what people are saying is true. You can't keep your dirt in the closet so to speak, God sees everything we do. Even though some people don't believe that God is watching. God don't like when people boast about themselves like they are perfect and will eventually get caught up. We need Jesus Christ good news about Himself we wouldn't have a chance to get to heaven there is only one way only through Jesus Christ. If final judgement gospel is about Christ. Like I said I don't want to go to help. Jesus Christ is my Savior and my Lord.

• 5 months later...

People in our culture get upset when they sense they will be judged by someone else, because they have become arrogant, self righteous and have no belief in God. Most believing that what ever they do, God still loves them and everyone, will bring them into heaven. How can a God who loves all send someone into eternal hell fire.

To reconcile the final judgement with God's for the world, all who love God and Christ Jesus, will be judged according to their works and receive a reward, but all who reject Christ will be sent to eternal damnation.

The core of the "Good News" of Jesus Christ is that in the final day God has appointed him judge over all. Without the resurrection of Jesus from the dead and his glorification by the Father, Christians would still be in their sins and would be separated from God forever at their death.

The gospel has no power to save anyone of eternal separation from God if it had not been for the obedience of Jesus to suffer for our sins, died on the cross and resurrected from the dead by the Heavenly Father.    

• 2 months later...

I seems we live in a time in America that is similar to the time of the Judges, for the nation of Israel, "where everyone did what was right in their own eyes." A time where right and wrong and moral absolutes are relative terms. Where something that is right or wrong for you is not necessarily right for me. People get upset and angry when someone limits or judges their behavior; saying, who are you to impose your values on me.

I believe the Word of God; I believe that Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. I believe the nature of God is agape love for mankind, His creation. He is Holy, Righteous and Good; full of Grace and Truth. He is the creator of ALL things, He is the righteous Judge.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. 2 Peter 3:9

This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus. 1 Timothy 2:3-5

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6

46 I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.

47 “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. John 12:46-48

It is unnecessary or irrelevant.  God did not have to give His one and only Son to save the world if judgment wasn't coming to the world. Save the world from what?

• 4 months later...

Why are people in our culture so upset when they sense they are being judged by someone else?  They get upset because our judgements are generally an unfair characterization of people and they are quite often the determining factor in how we treat and acknowledge them as a person.  Even though the label that we affix to them (in our own judgement) might be an accurate depiction of WHAT someone appears to be at a particular point in time, it’s seldom reflective of WHO they really are.  When we judge and/or attach labels to others, we’re passing a judgement that not only defines our relationship with that person, it also defines our relationship with God.  Jesus said: “Do not judge, or you too will be judged.”   “For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.(Matthew 7:1-2)

How do you reconcile final judgment with God's love for the world?  Every one of us will be judged individually by what we have done or have failed to do in this life.  There is no one exempt, we’ve all sinned and the eternal judgment of God is inevitable.  That said, He loves the world so much that he sent His Only Son, the Perfect Lamb of God, Christ Jesus to intercede on our behalf and reconcile us to Him.

Why must final judgment be at the core of the Good News of Jesus Christ?  The Good News is that Christ Jesus died for our sins and those of us who choose to accept His atoning sacrifice and His resurrection from the dead will be blessed by God forever.  Before they fled Egypt the Israelites marked their doorposts with the blood of a sacrificial lamb.  When the Angel of Death saw the blood he recognized the occupant as one of God’s own people and passed over them.  In the same way, at final judgment God will see the sacrificial blood of Christ Jesus on our hearts and will recognize us as one of His own and pass us over as well.  If there will not be a final judgment there would have been no reason for Jesus to come in the first place, let alone suffer and die on the cross to cleanse our sins.

What happens to the Gospel when final judgment is left out or ignored?  Well, the Gospels were written to get us prepared for final judgment.  If they are left out or ignored, where does that leave us?  Answer:  Unprepared, left out and ignored.  “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven”“Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ (Matthew 7:21, 23)

• 6 months later...

Q3 1 Peter 1.17 

• 3a. why are people in our culture so upset when they sense that they are being judged by someone else? They believe that they alone have the exclusive right to judge themselves using their own standards. They do not recognise God's supreme and exclusive right to judge. What's right/wrong for you may not be right/wrong for me. No absolute truth therefore they are free to set their own standards.

• 3b. how do you reconcile final judgement with God's love for the world?  God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son to pay the price for the sins of the whole world. Refusal to accept this leads to immediate judgement. Sin is a serious matter. God is Holy – He cannot overlook sin. God judged His own Son in our place so that He might avert judging  those who come to Him for forgiveness. There was no other way!

• 3c. why must final judgement be at the core of the Good News of Jesus Christ?   Without final judgement there would be no need for the cross. As outlined above God must judge sin and pronounce the verdict “guilty as charged” but His Son has offered us deliverance by taking our place. Joh 3:17-21  For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.  (18)  Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.  (19)  And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil.  (20)  For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed.  (21)  But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God."

• 3d. What happens to the Gospel when final judgement is left out?   It becomes deception - an adulterated man-centred message.  It becomes a message of cheap grace, robbed of its power and truth and it does not correctly represent the true and Holy God.

• 6 months later...
On 1/30/2004 at 6:35 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

The people of our culture upset when they sense they are being judged by someone because they feel it is only the creator (God) has the right.
God's love for the world and final judgment can reconcile through the way we lives our live in the present, as everyone will give account at judgment day.
The final judgment must be at the core of the Good New of Jesus Christ because He paid the price of our salvation and He was also appointed by the Father. 
The Gospel became not and make no sense and people live their lives as they like when final judgment is left out or ignored

Judging is not just a touchy issue it's a difficult issue. Most times people who are upset about judging knows that they are in the wrong and just don't like anyone to bring it to their or other people's attention. Remember if you see someone doing something against the word of God and you talks about it, to me that is not judging but one has to be careful not to associate that sin with any other sin, then that will be judging. Judging is like the wind, it goes where it wants, you can't control it. And we hve to be careful because we don't know if someone is constantly battling some serious temptation and continues to confess their sin. We must always consider the final judgement when we spread the good news and continue to us it as a guide to heaven' people must be given all the consequences of obeying or disobeying the good news as it is a necessary guide to staying in Christ

People don't like to hear others point out their shortcomings/wrongs. Seems like everyone has set up their own standard of living. There's always someone worst than them is their reasoning. Yet, God our creator has set a standard of living for His people and being that He has paid a ransom for us in sacrificing His only Son for us, that we may be reconcile to Him, it's only fair that He expects us to adhere to His laws and statutes. God being holy and righteous has the right to judge us accordingly. He has given us every opportunity to accept this precious gift of salvation and to be obedient to His word. Final Judgement is God's way of doing away with all evil and disobedience from those who reject His love(His Son Jesus Christ). If we leave this out when preaching the gospel, then we make God a liar. We question His holiness and righteousness. Then there's no reason for a new heaven and a new earth, for our God will accept everyone, both just and unjust. Jesus would have died in vain.

(1:17) Why are people in our culture so upset when they sense they are being judged by someone else? How do you reconcile final judgment with God's love for the world? Why must final judgment be at the core of the Good News of Jesus Christ? What happens to the Gospel when final judgment is left out or ignored?

I think people get upset being judged by someone else because they feel no one is perfect, so how can you judge me.  God will bring judgment and justice. If there is no final judgment, there is no reason to live a life obedient to God's word.