JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Self-perception vs God's perception

. How did God see Gideon? As a Mighty Warrior (6:12) How did Gideon see himself? Weak, oppressed and small. It is when we are weak, that He is the strongest in our lives. Like right now, I have been feeling oppressed and out of sorts because I have lost focus. A friend died recently and I have been off in that journey of loss and in the weakened state where satan sneaks in and tries to kill and destroy all the work that God has done. I am so very thankful that ever since I have been born again that I have prayed for God to not let my feet travel where they should not and slap me back into place. This lesson is doing that and I am only on the third question. WOW!

(6:15).

Whose self-perception is most accurate? God is always right. He does not lie, it isn

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4. What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image? (6:16) Go in the strength that He has. That is the strength that God can work with because it is the strength in taking that first step back into obedience.

Does this spiritual principle apply to our lives as Christians? Can you recall any New Testament passages that teach the same principle? Yes, but I rather like this Old Testament word too: Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. Joshua 1:7

What is an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage? Father, first of all, I want to thank You for filling me with Your Spirit who guides me and teaches me as this is the job of Your Spirit. I thank You that the Spirit that lives with in me hears and agrees with my prayers and is a witness to my life and is able to yell loudly when necessary and speak ever so gently when needed. I thank You for Your love and Your grace that helps me through each day and night. I thank You for Your Son Jesus Christ and His work on the cross so that I might live again in re-birth, just like Jesus did when He was born again. O Father, I love You and I will meet You at the alter in the morning. I will look forward to this new morning where Your Mercy rises before I do. In Jesus name- Amen

• 3 months later...

Q3. (Judges 6:12-16) How did God see Gideon? How did Gideon see himself? Whose self-perception is most accurate? How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be?

A3. Judges 6:12-16)

GOD saw Gideon as a "mighty warrior"/"mighty man of valor" with the strength ("capacity to act"/"general ability to cope with situations") to save Israel out of the hands of the Midianites.

Gideon saw himself as the "least," as weak and incapable of being used by GOD to accomplish the task at hand.

GOD's self-perception is most accurate because He is "El Roi", GOD who sees all!

Our own self-perception can prevent us from becoming what GOD has predestined us to be because we look at ourselves with our finite eye and not our spiritual eye. We see ourselves through our "flesh/carnal" abilities and fail to recognize our GOD given strength. After all, we are created in HIS image, and we are more than conquerors! Nothing is impossible with GOD!

Q4. What is GOD's answer to Gideon's self-image? (6:16) Does this spiritual principle apply to our lives as Christians? Can you recall any New Testament passages that teach the same principle? What is an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what GOD has taught you from this passage?

GOD's answer to Gideon's self-image is that He will be with him, and that with Him, Gideon will obtain the victory.

Yes, this principle unequivocally applies to our lives as Christians on account of our need to be reminded that everything that we do is done by the will and strength of GOD in us and for us. And that ALL the GLORY belongs to GOD, and GOD ALONE.

Yes, the New Testament passage that comes to my mind that teaches the same principle is in Matthew 14:29, where Peter walks on water. As long as Peter's mind was stayed on Jesus he was able to walk on water, but the minute he realized exactly what was taking place in his "finite" mind, he began to sink. To me it just reaffirms that nothing is impossible with GOD if we remain focused on HIM and sensitive to the leading of His Holy Spirit. And that OBEDIENCE, FAITH and BELIEF are the keys to accomplishing "greater works!"

An appropriate prayer to pray in light of what GOD has taught me in this passage is:

"ABBA, allow me to always be able to see the GOD in me that enables me to do ALL things through your son, Jesus Christ who strengthens me. Continue to light my path that in my times of darkness and doubt I will always be reminded that I am wondefully and fearfully made to do all that You have purposed me to do, and that there is no lack in my strength because my help comes from You, oh! GOD!!! In Jesus' Name. Amen."

• 2 months later...

God saw Gideon as the man He created him to be...his potential...and called him by that name as if it had already happened. Gideon could only see his present weak state. Since God can speak things into being, His assessment is obviously more accurate, but because of free-will, we have to be willing to cooperate and become what God envisions us to be.

• 4 months later...

Q3. (Judges 6:12-16) How did God see Gideon? How did Gideon see himself? Whose self-perception is most accurate? How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be? What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image? What might be an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage

God saw Gideon as a mighty warrrior and a person that He could use to further His kingdom. Gideon felt weak and unprepared for the task at hand. Of course, God's perception is always more accurate -- after all, He made us. God knows what gifts and talents we were given so Gideon, just like us, should trust in what God sees in him. God will never ask us to do something that we can't. We just must be careful to know when God is speaking and when we are acting on our own accord without God. The best way to be able to discern God's voice is to stay connected to Him through reading the Bible, prayer, and remaining in community with other Christians.

My prayer is that God will continue to lead me into the path that He wants for me rather than what I want to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (Judges 6:12-16) How did God see Gideon? How did Gideon see himself? Whose self-perception is most accurate? How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be? What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image? What might be an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

God saw Gideon as a mighty warrior. Gideon saw himself as weak and small. God's perception is most accurate because He always sees what we don't see, especially when it comes to individual potential and purpose. He created us and knows us. He purposed us when He created us in our mother's womb.

We can block God's purpose for our lives by self-doubt; cann't do attitude; and disbelief. By not permitting God to be our God. God's answer to Gideon's self-image is: "... I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites together."

An appropriate prayer would be: Dear Lord, help me to know your purpose for my life and to fully trust you in carrying it out, despite my perceived limitations of myself. May I abandon myself totally to you and permit you to be my God. Lord execute your will in my life. Aman.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

God saw Gideon as a great warrior. Gideon saw himself as the weakest and lowliest. He didn't have a good self concept and was afraid. God's perception is always right. When we are obedient and trust God, he can change our perceptions and give the courage, confidence and faith we need. When we limit ourselves by relying on our own perceptions, we limit what can be accomplished with God working through us.

God always see us in the positive. The way we don't see our selves. Gideon absolutely did not see himself as a mighty warrior. He saw himself from a poor family and the "black sheep". When God called him something good, he was caught off balanced. Once we begin to study the Bible and see ourselves as God see us, we can begin to build our confidence and be who God has called us to be. We have to find our Place in life.

• 3 weeks later...

God saw Gideon as a mighty warrior while Gideon saw himself as a simple farmer. The Lord only can discern our innermost being, something that we ourselves cannot do. Because He is God He can know who we are way in advance of who we think we are to be.

Q3 How did God see Gideon? (6:12) How did Gideon see himself? (6:15). Whose self-perception is most accurate? How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be?

God saw Gideon as mighty hero.

Gideon saw himself as the weakest and least in his family.

Like Gideon, we are called to serve God in specific ways. Although God promises us tools and strength we need, we often make excuses. But reminding God of our limitations only implies that He does not know all about us or that He Has made a mistake in evaluating our character.

God Has promised to give us strength in our walk with Him.

We should see God working through us not seeing our limitation.

• 2 months later...

God saw Gideon as a Mighty Warrior, whereas Gideon saw himself as a weakling and insignificant, born into one of the smaller tribes, certainly not leadership material. God saw what Gideon could become by relying on God. Self-righteousness and pride can prevent us from reaching the potential God sees in us because we begin to rely solely on our own thinking and ability and freeze God out...God will allow us to do this but He certainly won't be there supporting us in our personal crusade.

An appropriate prayer to protect us from this influx of pride might be

Dear Lord,

Thank You for Your many blessings and for selecting me to serve You in the way You choose. Please protect my heart from believing I can do anything without You by my side, and allow me to discern quickly when I stray so that I can return to You fully. Amen

Q3. (Judges 6:12-16) How did God see Gideon? How did Gideon see himself? Whose self-perception is most accurate? How can our own self-perception prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be? What is God's answer to Gideon's self-image? What might be an appropriate prayer to pray in light of what God has taught you from this passage?

This reminds me of Kris Valloton's explanation in "bringing out the gold in people." We do not see ourselves as God sees us. Boy if we did - watch out world. We don't carry the power Jesus says we have access to - we are broken and don't believe God and what He says about us, and subsequently we are not walking in that truth. I don't act like a royal priesthood, a chosen people! But it's the truth.

"God break through my spirit of unbelief and help me to believe Your Word spoken about me, and how you see me, and feel about me. Help me to walk in the authority Jesus died to give me."

The world crashes in--

I am lost.

I am week, wretched, poor, the least--

My life is only dust.

Who am I that you call?

Yet the plan of salvation rests,

On those that You bless.

Lift me up to see clearly--

The image You have of me.

Strength, power, Warrior?

I cannot see these things in me.

Yet at Earth's foundation I am blessed

So with this prayer I simply ask--

Lord that You be with me.

God saw Gideon as he would become, a mighty warrior and deliverer of Israel from his enemy in this case the Midianites; but Gideon saw himself as a man without any strength in himself and from the smallest, weakest tribe in Israel, and himself from the weakest, least important person in his family. In one way his self-perception was accurate in the fact that he could not become a mighty warrior in his own strength and that he was weak without the Lord helping him to become mighty in God

God saw Gideon as a man who would be obedient. He knew He would be able to work through him. Gideon though, did not have that overall view. He saw himself as little, the least and weak. Gideon saw his circumstances but God knew together they would overcome!

God of course has the better perception. He sees us together in His might. We tend to see ourselves alone or with other human help which is pretty weak. When we focus on circumstances or our own strength it can look bleak but if we focus on God and who we are in Him and what He can do through us then we have hope! We can step out in obedience sure of a strong and mighty God who loves us and is ever faithful! God's answer to Gideon's self image was one of assurance and patience. He said "Just go. I'll be with you and it's going to seem like nothing!" He still does that today too.....but we have to step out in faith and wait for Him to win the battle!

Prayer:

Lord, you are strong and mighty! I pray that you help me and give me faith to trust in You. Show me your glory and let it fall around me that others may know You are God and no one and nothing compares to You! Help me to be submitted and obedient in all you ask of me. Go out mighty warrior, King of Kings and bring to fruition all that you desire for Your Kingdom. Help me find greater faith and I pray You find favor with me.

Thank you Lord that you see me and are mindful of me and that you love me. Thank you for helping me and for your faithfulness to me. You are beautiful and kind and gracious and good. All glory and power are yours!

I love you.

Amen.

God saw Gideon as the man he was pre-destined to be. Not the weak watered down image that Gideon had of himself. Without a doubt God's perception was accurate, because He knows everything about us. He knows what we are going to do with every minute of our lives. God knew the day was going to come when He would instruct Gideon to lead the Israelite army.

When we are (like Gideon) beat down with emotional abuse, (your are, never will be, never will have nothing) , and we see that manifestation in our day-to-day existence, it is hard to believe anything else without the good manifesting itself as well.

With God as our banner, we can do all things, be all things, have all things.

My prayer would be go something like this:

Abba, I thank you that you are a present help in time of need. Thank you for your Holy Spirit who instructs and guides me through every facet of life. I thank you Father, that I can call on the name of Jesus in time of need, and that my prayers are heard. You said in your word, "Fear not for I am with you. Walk in faith and victory for the Lord thy God is with thee". Because, I know your word does not return void to you Lord, I can thank you right now that you have heard the desires of my heart, and that you have made a way for me. Thank you in Jesus name, Amen.

God saw Gideon as fully capable of fulfilling God's purpose for him. Gideon saw himself in the worldly terms underwhich he had grown, the least of his family from the least of the tribes. God's assesment is more accurate because He knows our potential. Lack of trust in God diminishes our self perception. We do not live in the power of the verse that states "I can do all things through Him that strengthens me", but instead live under the shadow of self doubt. God's answer to Gideon's self deprication is that He will be with him. It will be in God's power, not Gideon's that these things will be accomplished. My prayer would be that my trust in God's promises be strengthened, that I live in the courage of knowing that He is with me always, in all things.

God saw Gideon a person who have strength to save Israel out of Midian

[/color]

As a "Mighty Man of Valour" and as one who had within his heart the tools to deliver Israel from the hands of Midian.

As not worth much and with very little power "I am the least in my fathers house", cowardly he was hiding, poor from a poor family and doing menial work to support his family.

"I am not smart" "I can not talk well" on and on go the excuses we make for not doing the things that God has called and gifted or burdened us to do.

But God has given us his Spirit to equip us to do everything he has called us to do. He would be an unfqair God if he called us to somethign and would not enable us to carry out his wishes. He told Gideon "have not I sent thee?" and "Surely I will be with thee." Jesus said to the Disciples it is important that I go away so I can send you another "Comforter" the Holy Spirit. He also told them that they/we would do greater works than anything they had seen Jesus do when he had gone and they had the power of the Holy Spirit working in them. The Holy Spirit is here to equip us to do ministry for the good and growth of the Body of Christ and...

Ephesians 4:12 for the perfecting of the saints, unto the work of ministering, unto the building up of the body of Christ:

13 till we all attain unto the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a fullgrown man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

14 that we may be no longer children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, in craftiness, after the wiles of error;

15 but speaking truth in love, we may grow up in all things into him, who is the head, even Christ;

Lord forgive me of my sins and my complacency and fill me with with your Holy Spirit. Help me to see your purposes in my life and community and how the events of this day and your Spirit living in me might be used by you to accomplish these purposes. Let you Spirit bare witness with my spirit that you are always here with me.

Help me to be available, to be a tool at the ready, to be used as your hand leads and be my strength and guide. May all that I say and do lift up Jesus our Savior and the Savior of all man kind and may all that is accomplished in me bring glory to your name. Amen

God saw Gideon as a man of strenghth and a deliverer. Gideon saw himself as poor and weak. Of course, God is always right. Our own self-perception can keep us from what God wants us to be because we think we can't do things good enough, or we don't possess the abilities. God's answer to Gideon is that He would be with Gideon.

A prayer might be: Lord, with you I can do anything. Use my talents as you see fit, and to glorify you.

God saw Gideon as a mighty son of valor. Gideon saw himself as one from the weakest clan in Mannasseh and the least in his family. God's perception is most accurate.

Our own perception can prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be because most of the time we view ourselves according to our circumstances, thus a little less than God regards us.

God's answer to Gideon's self image is - "I will be with you and you shall smite the Midianites as one man". God assured Gideon of his presence in all his (Gideon's) endeavours.

An appropriate prayer in light of what God has taught me from this passage would "Father help me to be aware that you are always with me - in good times and bad times - help me to be conscious of your presence, help me never to see me my self as a lesser person, for like Gideon I am a mighty son of valor - I can do exploits for you with your help". Amen!

• 2 weeks later...

1.God seen Gideon as a mighty warrior.

2.Gideon seen himself as being weak.

3.God's preception is the most accurate.

4.Some of us see purselves as small and of no importance, but others look at themselves as more important than they are. We are God's servants but we are also friends of Jesus.

5.God's answer to Gideon was that He would be with him.

6.God give me the faith in myself that you have in me. Teach me to know that you are always with me and that I can win the battle through you. Amen

• 1 month later...

God see in Gideon a strong and mighty warrior. He saw that with this qualities, Gideon will be able to save Israel from the Midianites for the oppressions.

Gideon saw in himself weakness. He was convinced he was not capable of saving Israel from the Midianites because his clan is the weakest in Manasseh and he is the least in his family.

God knows us more than we know ourselves. He is our creator. He made us for a purpose.

Our own self-perception can prevent us from becoming what God has made us to be if we don't consult God. We have to let Jesus guide our lives to enable Him to work in us the will of the Father. We have to submit our plans to Jesus and let Him direct our path. He knows the plans of the Father for our lives.

God assured Gideon that He will be with him in the battle.

Lord thank you for your love. Thank you Lord for the assurance that you are with me to conquer wars, problems, temptations that I may overcome in following you. I don't have to look at my weaknesses but rather rely in your infinite power. Use me for your glory Lord. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.