JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Abraham's Achievements

Q4. Which of Abraham's achievements inspires you the most? As you reflect on his life, what stands out for you?

One of the achievements of Abraham which truly inspires me is his intimate relationship with God. Prayer and worship shows how important this relationship is in God's life.

Abraham was vulnerable to sin just as we are but his faith remained strong and he always obeyed immediately :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am inspired by Abraham's relationship with God, the closeness he has with Him.

What stands out for me is that Abraham's faith is so strong that he obeys God immediately even to the point of obeying when he is told to sacrifice his son. I don't believe I could do that.

• 3 months later...

Q4. Which of Abraham's achievements inspires you the most? As you reflect on his life, what stands out for you?

I am inspired by Abraham's faith in God, his utter dependency on God, even when he could not see the provision he knew beyond a shadow of doubt that God will provide. His faith continued untill he died and those around him saw that faith at work in him.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Abraham was a father of faith . He was also called by God as a " friend " This quality stands out - tall and clear - in Abraham's Life

he accepted God 's challenge to move out of his country , not knowing where he was going - He also accepted God's challenge to sacrifice his ONLy son Isaaac !!!!!

• 4 months later...

Abraham hears God's voice and talks to God personally inspires me greatly. Out of this element of Abraham's faith and relationship with God everything else flows and grows. Jesus said my sheep will hear my voice and follow me. Our relationship with God, if it is to grow intimately and powerful, begins with constant personal communication with God.

• 2 months later...

I think the achievement of Abraham that inspires me the most is his faith in believing and trusting the Lord. What stands out to me is that Abraham never questioned, his faith never waivered, he obeyed God right then when the Lord told him to do something, he always praised the Lord for everything, and did not hold back nothing from the Lord. He worshiped the one true and only God Almighty.

It is his faith.

His faith pleased God.

Abraham could hardly have been expected to visualize how much of the future was resting on his decision of whether to go or stay, but his obedience affected the history of the world. His decision to follow God set into motion the development of the nation that God would eventually use as His own when He visited earth Himself. When Jesus came to earth, God's promise was fulfilled; through Abraham the entire world was blessed.

Following this kind of faith, I will have to seek God's guidance in every decision I take in my life, because I may not know how it will affect the world in future.

• 1 year later...

Which of Abraham's achievements inspires you the most? As you reflect on his life, what stands out for you?

I think that the way in which Abraham was able to develop his relationship with and faith in God through the long course of his life is what really stands out for me. Without doubt, there were times when he went off and tried to do things his own way, but he stayed true to his faith, and was richly rewarded. It inspires me to do the same and I pray that God will help me in that daunting task!! If there is one incident which stands out for me, it has to be Abraham's obedience and faith when it came to the sacrifice of Isaac. Not only the fact that it shows the extent of Abraham's obedience and faith, but also the obvious foreshadowing of the ultimate sacrifice made in the death of Jesus as the lamb sacrificed for me.

Now I am at the end of my first study with Jesus Walk, and I have to say that it has been a richly rewarding experience. When I started, I never imagined that I would get so much out of the story of Abraham and what it has made me realise is just how rich the Bible is. Now I am keen to get on to the next study! So, thanks to Pastor Ralph and to all of the other contributors to this forum. Like Abraham, may God richly bless you all. :)

I think his faith really inspires me the most. It must have been hard for Abraham to obey what God ask. What obedience. Even sacrificing his som that he waited so long for and loved beyond words.

What stands out for me is he never waivered in obeying God. He just did what God ask him. If we could all be so faithful without questioning how much more we would please God.

• 3 weeks later...

His faith, he is such an inspiration, even when presented with the all impossible, he beleived, when asked to go the extra mile, he beleive.

When trails arrive in my life it is with wonder and refreshment I can look back at an incredible promise keeping God who loves the faithful, and I am reminded that It is by faith that we are saved.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With me, I am truly inspired by Abram's willingness to obey God from the first call. Obviously, Abram has had a divine communication. Because of it , he leaves everything he knows; his home, family, 'to go to a place I will show you.' He has already shown he believes whole heartedly in the direction God leads him. The faith is again and again tried and true. He never doubts - that is the kind of faith we all strive for.

• 3 weeks later...

Which of Abraham's achievements inspires you the most?

The fact the he responds immediately to God, Yahweh, with obedience....just as one does with their own father. He listened to God and communed with Him, on a personal level.

As you reflect on his life, what stands out for you?

The desire to have that one on one closeness as one does withour earthly father....not so fullof the "thees and thous" of our church organizations....to live a personal closeness.

• 2 months later...

I am impressed by Abraham's initial steps of faith when he left his family for a land that he did not know, but he trusted God and he knew that God would take care of him.

• 4 months later...

I really did not check any other answers to see the impressions others got but there are three things that inspired me about Abraham.

The first was his willingness to leave his family in Ur and go where God told him to go. That took a lot of trust. Keep in mind that travel wasn't like today. Even thousands of miles could be spanned in a matter of hours. In those days 50 miles would have taken several days. Not knowing where God would take him, he may have never seen family or friends again. The Bible never says he went back there. To pick up and go like that took a lot of trust.

Then too, after allowing Lot to choose where he wanted to graze his cattle. Lot chose the best he could see with the natural eye. Abraham took what was left because he could trust God. That took a lot of trust too. To take best when he was really the heir, not Lot. Then when Lot got into trouble, Abraham did not hesitate to bail Lot out. I certainly would have loved to be Abraham's nephew. He was always there for him even though Lot stabbed him in the back.

Of course the most important inspiration was his willingness to offer up Isaac. He never hesitated. All his hopes and dreams were wrapped up in that boy but he committed it all to God. What a man of God! Abraham did not have the cannon of scripture we have today nor the indwelling Holy Spirit. All he had was the voice of God that spoke to him on several occasions and he puts our faith to shame!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Genesis 14:13-14 (ASV)

13 And there came one that had escaped, and told Abram the Hebrew: now he dwelt by the oaks of Mamre, the Amorite, brother of Eshcol, and brother of Aner; and these were confederate with Abram.

14 And when Abram heard that his brother was taken captive, he led forth his trained men, born in his house, three hundred and eighteen, and pursued as far as Dan.

I respect and applaude Abraham for his quick gathering 318 men to take on a large army in order to recuse Lot. This courageous individual demonstrate an act of faith and trust that should be practiced by everyone.

Reflecting upon his life I am sincerely moved by unwavering faith and trust in God. God had told him to leave his country, his kin, his home, and set out for Canaan. Abraham was apparently unfamiliar with this area but he heeded Gods request.

What amazes me even more is how cool he was when he went about preparing the altar to sacrifice his only son Isaac. This deed demonstrated a true love to God...not once did he stop to ask the reason for such a deed. Perhaps he knew in his heart that God would not allow him to sacrifice his only son since they had been blessed with him so late in life.

What ever may be the reason I am totally inspired by the true love, faith and devotion that Abraham had for God.

• 7 months later...

a)He was father of faith,Having enough faith to be willing to sacrifice Isaac.

B)His obedience &trust to follow God’s call,leaving Ur and many difficult tests. He was no one special but God used him.

• 1 year later...

I think that the achievement that inspires me the most of Abraham is that of moving when he didn’t even know where he was going. To me that would have taken a lot of courage. The other thing that stands out is his faith in God. When he was willing to sacrifice his only son and acting immediately in doing so.

• 8 months later...

What really stands out to me and inspires me is that God has Abraham's attention, interacts with God, and allows God to use him in carrying out a universal plan for human salvation that spans generations into the present.  Abraham walks close enough to God to begin to really understand who God is and what he expects and desires of humanity.  Abraham permits God to work with him and develop him spiritually.

Abraham is truly on a physical and spiritual journey that transcends time.

• 2 years later...

Abraham's achievements inspire me to give God all the glory and honor and then some. Abraham knows all things (blessings) come from God himself, provided we obey his commands.

As I reflect on my life the thing that stands out most is that God the father loved me before time. He sent his Son to die in my place for the punishment I deserved for sins against God. This love he has for me is unfathomable to understand. As Abraham worshipped and prayed to the Lord, so I also do the same. To me God is El Shaddai and El-Roi. Hallelujah. 

• 3 years later...