JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Obstacle of Pride

It think its because before, he had great pride in this pedigree. That maybe it bacame more important to shine with his oun background and set him self as important before man. Or that he had all the right answers of the ot and thought that the WAY, Jesus was some new fangled way that went against what he was brought up to be and believe. He depended so fully on his pedigree, his flesh that any thing else had to be wrong. He believe this to the point of killing and harming christians. When Jesus "shone him the light" was his prdigree finally put where it had needed to be. Where his flesh needed to be. In full trust and love in Jesus christ. In doing this Paul understand that his pedigree and all that he was, and doing to christians, wasn't putting glory in God. That no where was there Love. Except with God and Jesus. That he was loving his titles and who he was in standing with his jewish background.

For myself, my background will, being poorer then most, I have to watch myself and not be mad because I don't have what others have. Or want what they have. I want to live my life, poor or not, to make this time in my life, to bring glory to God. That I put aside all this, and put full trust in Jesus and keep my eyes on him every sec of my day.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul once lived according to the law which couldn't help you cleanse your sins no matter how hard you tried. Living for the law after knowing Christ, is to reject Christ in favor of the law. Christ's blood cleansed us and accomplished what we could never do - sanctify us and allow us to have an intimate relationship with the Lord through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit can do far more through us than we can do alone. Paul realized, after tasting the Holy Spirit with all the gifts, that it far surpasses anything he experienced while trying to live under the law. My religious background was catholicism. It was 99% tradition - nonbiblical rubbish. It was an obstacle because I wasn't praying only to the Father but to Mary and St Jude and St. This and St. That. The only one who died for my sins was Jesus, not Mary, St. Jude, etc. I now confess my sins to God, not to a priest. I'm not told any more to say three hail mary's and five our Fathers as a way to climb back into God's favor. I now read the bible and believe and try to do everything Jesus said to. The results of no longer being steeped in tradtion far outweight the lack of results being in tradition. The veil has been lifted. Praise the Lord!

AT FIRST IT LOOKED LIKE PAUL WAS PROUD AND VERBALIST ABOUT THE LAW.PAUL WAS REALLY DOING THE OPPOSITE.HUMAN ACHIEVEMENTS NO MATTER HOW GREAT,CAN NOT EARN A PERSONS SALVATION AND ETERNAL LIFE WITH GOD.I BELIEVE THIS IS WHY HE CONSIDERED IT LOSS,DUNG,AN OBSTACLE.IF I WOULD PUT A LOT OF PRIDE IN MY UPBRINGING,OR IF I HAD BEEN BROUGHT UP IN A WELL KNOWN FAMILY AND CHURCH THINKING I AM BETTER THAN OTHERS AND HAVE HIGHER STANDUARDS,(THIS WILL NOT GET ME TO HEAVEN).I MUST PUT ALL THAT BEHIND ME AND ONLY THINK OF JESUS CHRIST AND WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR ME ON THE CROSS.MY FAITH IS IN JESUS CHRIST NOT IN MY THINKING OF MY PERSONEL SELF.

• 1 month later...

PAUL NEEDED TO SPEAK OUT ABOUT HIS RELIGIOUS PEDIGREE AND USE IT AS AN EXAMPLE TO THE OTHERS TO LET THEM KNOW THAT ALL THE EDUCATION AND ACHIEVEMENTS OF THIS LIFE COULD NEVER BRING ONE TO A CLOSE INTIMATE RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS CHRIST. IN FACT, HE CONSIDERS IT ALL DUNG OR AN OBSTACLE TO FAITH IN JESUS BECAUSE IT HINDERS YOU FROM SEEING YOUR TRUE NEED OF RELATIONSHIP WITH A LOVING SAVIOUR.RELIGION CAUSES PEOPLE TO FOCUS ON THEMSELVES AND THEIR OWN SELFISH AMBITIONS IN LIFE LIKE THE PHARISEES WHO KNEW ABOUT GOD BUT DIDNT KNOW GOD.

I CAME FROM A MOSLEM FAMILY AND WE HAD VERY STRICT RELIGION BUT NO LOVE.WE WERE LIKE THE PHARISEES WHO WANTED TO ACHIEVE GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENTS SO WE COULD BE RECOGNISED AS BRILLIANT, WISE, EDUCATED PEOPLE.RELIGION LOVES TO PARADE ITSELF SEEKING ATTENTION FROM EVERYONE.I WAS RELIGIOUS AND PRIDEFUL, A SHOW OFF.THEN THROUGH A MOST HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE I CAME TO UNDERSTAND THAT JESUS CHRIST IS GOD AND HE DIED FOR ME AND WASHED ALL MY SINS AWAY BECAUSE HE LOVED ME.I CANT BEGIN TO EXPLAIN THE LOVE I EXPERIENCED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE.RELIGION HAD BEEN HINDERING ME ALL THOSE YEARS. EVEN NOW I AM CAREFUL TO NOT FALL BACK INTO RELIGIOUSITY. WITH THE HELP OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, I BELIEVE I CAN OVERCOME ALL THE OBSTACLES RELIGION BRINGS BECAUSE HE REVEALS TRUTH TO US.....GOD BLESS......

• 9 months later...

When born again, baptized in the Holy Spirit, we are new creatures. The old is passed away and all is new. This especially applies to our previous understanding of our religion. The Spirit begins to reveal the hidden truth of God's word to us giving us new insight and depth of meaning. That which was previously relevant is no longer applicable and therefore, worthless and unnecessary. If not cast away and applied to our new understanding, out former religion will cause the creation of false doctrine and failed Christianity. This happens all too frequently and is why we have so many denominations, ever at conflict, always further diluting themselves by breaking up into still more denominations. Paul saw this and made the statements in Phil 3:2-6.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (3:2-6) Why isn't Paul merely neutral about his religious pedigree? Why does he consider it loss, dung, an obstacle? In what way could your religious background be an impediment to your faith?

Paul understands that his background was based on tradition of Jewish practices it frustrates him because he sees the errors of his fathers and bretheren. So much of it is wasted time and energy. he sees that the Jewish leadership was more interested in keeping power than advancing truth. Our backgrounds our imbedded into our minds and reasonings. It also conflicts at times with family loyalties. Some families take it personal when you change denominations. Traditions are part of the flesh, seeking truth through Christ will create storms. Jesus warned us that it will put son against father, brother against sister....

• 6 months later...
Q2. (3:2-6) Why isn't Paul merely neutral about his religious pedigree? Why does he consider it loss, dung, an obstacle? In what way could your religious background be an impediment to your faith?

Paul was hunting Christians to murder them he was a stickler for rules until the road to Emmaus where he me Jesus asking him "Why are you persecuting my people" and Paul heart was changed from stone to flesh which knows that he knows there is a Jesus. This experience changed Paul's life for he feels Jesus appointed him to be an apostle to the Gentiles and to go forth in all the world preaching the Great Commission as well as the 12 were preaching to the Jews. After this experience Pauls believed that to gain all the world's treasures was loss but to be a follower of Jesus was gain. My first 46 years was as Paul says loss for I could never get enough of the world, nothing would make me happy and then one day I met Jesus and after searching for what would fufil me I was sold out as even today to my Creator.

• 3 weeks later...

because it dosent satisfy the longing that is placed in everyones heart to know and be loved by God.

He considers them a loss because Loving and knowing God is so much more rewarding then just following rules and traditions.

My religious backround was a little like the Jews, in that you had to dress a certain way, and obstain from certian things in order to be a Christian and to be accepted by God.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul wants the close personal relationship with Jesus that he has now. He rejects the idea that we can earn a righteous standing in the eyes of God by our religious credentials and a well lived life. Our faith and a close personal relationship with the Lord are the keys to salvation, everything else really is "rubbish"

As a child I grew up Irish/ Italian Catholic. I believed then that if I lived a good life and followed the rules that I would find favor in the eyes of the Lord. I was wrong. The trouble that I had (and I think many other Catholics had)is that this kind of relationship with God is totally unfulfilling. I found myself counting the minuets until the end of mass, cutting out early, and eventually not going at all. I never stooped believing, but going to church didn't seem to be worth the time and the trouble. It wasn't until I was in my late forty's that I came back to the Lord and was able to find my own close personal relationship with God. The differance is truly remarkable

• 2 months later...

Q2. (3:2-6) Why isn't Paul merely neutral about his religious pedigree?

Paul isn't merely neutral about his religious pedigree because in itself its worthless, it was merely head knowledge and didn't satisfy the heart. Having such knowledge causes one to be puffed up and it would be an obstacle to knowing Christ intimately.

Why does he consider it loss, dung, an obstacle?

Paul considered it loss, dung, and an obstacle because knowledge of the Christ who is to some and not accepting and embracing Him will profit you nothing. It is as worthless as dung, a loss and an obstacle to inheriting eternal life.

In what way could your religious background be an impediment to your faith?

If I allow my religious affiliation to cause me to be puffed up or proud and do not display Christ where ever I go I would have failed my Lord while boasting of which denomination or church I belong to.

• 4 weeks later...

it belongs to this world. it is temporal and exhausting. he built it on a sandy foundation and it had to go.everything we think say and do must be brought under the authority of christ. if we hang on to anything of this nature of ours, we first will neglect him, then we will reject him, settling for what is good, rather than what is best.

• 1 month later...

Paul isn't neutral about his religious pedigree because it had the very real potential of getting in the way of God's will for his life and the purpose God had planned for him. Paul counted it a loss because he had acheived a high status in the order of Jewish Religious culture. He has the status of a respected teacher and rabbi and everything that went with that. In the first century, rabbi's were like rock stars are today. They had followings, great respect and influence.

Religious backgrounds can be dogmatic and impede faith by placing limitations on it.

• 6 months later...

He was trying to show that you can be the most "religious" person there is but it doesn't mean anything if you don't love the Lord. If you are simply pious, your heart will miss out on what Jesus really wants for you.

Looking from another perspective, if your religious background isn't truly "Bible" based you will be lead down the wrong path.

• 2 weeks later...

A previous reader said: "I know some translations use the word dung,but I have always found that gross and offensive. :( "

I think this puts it in a nutshell as to why Paul would not be neutral about his pedigree. His own 'works' are gross and offensive to God. They 'make God a liar' by supposing that a person can be good enough for God on their own merits, even though God has already said that it's not possible. The public display of these works and the telling of others that this is how to achieve God's favour is also offensive because it teaches others this terrible lie. So 'dung' is probably the strongest word that Paul could come up with and still be read in public settings. Considering that God greatly desires a personal relationship based on trust in him, and that by depending on our own merits, we miss out on that relationship, God would definitely consider this gross and offensive, too!

My religious background has taught me that people should act and talk in certain ways in order to be acceptable to God. I still filter my interactions with people through those thoughts and I'm ashamed to admit that I steer clear of people who are not like me. It's an obstacle to finding out the glory and goodness of God in everyone's lives. I'm currently struggling with how to share the gospel with a gay friend of mine. My religious background tells me that this person doesn't deserve the gospel, but that is a lie from hell. Everyone deserves to know the truth of God, and I need to not be the obstacle, but the avenue of grace that God desires from each of us.

• 3 months later...

Paul doesn't remain neutral about his religious pedigree because he wants it understood that he doesn't take pride in it. It's of no use because he didn't know Christ. It's important that your religious background includes Christ or else it's worthless. If a person has been taught anything but the true gospel they can become confused and lose their faith.

• 3 months later...

Paul make it know that if anyone ever had reason to hope that he could save himself, it would be him, If others can be saved by what they are, certinly he could! because of the life experiences and changes he has gone through, that he was sincere in what he was doing when he was demanding the strictest obedience to every Jewish law and custome, Paul says that he tried to obey Jewish rule and regulation right down to the very last point, and that he find and relize that these things that he once through very worthwhile now he have thrown them all away so that he can put his trust and hope in Christ Jesus.

At this point in life I can not say that I can look back and find where my religious background has obstruction to my faith, we've all been introduce to our own self rightiousness at some point up to now and along the way my throughs has not always lined up with putting "all" faith an trust in God through His Son Jesus Christ. I have been tought from childhood and now as a aldult that hinderance will come and they will also pass, and not to let them block my connection or cloud my throughts about who and what God can and will do through my Savor and Redeemer Christ Jesus on my behalf, and to always stay focus on my eteral goal, everlasting Life with God.

• 6 months later...

Q2. (3:2-6) Why isn't Paul merely neutral about his religious pedigree?

The issue of the day revolved around "Salavation by Faith" versus the Judaizers teaching that non-Jews must be circumcised...become Jews first, in order to be saved. Paul qualified on every level if the Judaizers were to be believed, so Paul dismantled their argument by stating his Jewish "qualifications", then spoke the truth about salvation by faith in Jesus Christ alone.

His Jewish background and impeccable legalism were totally at odds with the true Gospel of Jesus. All of that had zero relevance to his conversion to Christianity and the privilege of serving Christ in spirit and in truth. All of his past was a waste in terms of Christianity.

Actually my background was a good foundation for being born again. I grew up in the Episcopal church, loved God, heard the Word of God preached every Sunday, but without understanding. I was taught that my parents made the decision for me to become a believer when they had me baptized as an infant, and that I was filled with the Holy Spirit when I was confirmed at age 11. I didn't become a born again believer until I was 30, but the church was not an impediment to my becoming a believer...the Biblical difference is that an individual must make the choice to believe, since God has no Grandchildren.

However, if my allegiance had been to the church, I might never have sought relationship with Christ elsewhere. Also, with the liberal movement in the church toward ordaining homosexual priests, and other unbiblical doctrines creeping in, there is a split in the church, which is causing Episcopalians (and other denominations) to choose whether to be loyal to the church, or to split and go where the true Word of God is being preached as I have done. My prayer is that this issue will cause true seeking of our Lord, and that Salvation and Eternal life will be the result of the turmoil.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (3:2-6)

Why isn't Paul merely neutral about his religious pedigree?

Paul realises that everything before he met Jesus, acted as a barrier to getting to know Jesus intimately. He had had to turn his back on the things he had always been taught to prize most highly. Ancestry, nationality, culture, prestige, education, religion, and personal attainments, these were all abandoned as grounds for boasting. Indeed, he counted them as dung or rubbish in order that he might gain Christ. I also have to be careful not to place any value to what I have done but to put all my faith in Jesus, knowing that He has done everything.

• 7 months later...

No matter what we may accumulate or acquire in this lifee some things have greater value over other things - for Paul his relationship with Christ was of the greatest value - and the more intimate he became in that relationship the more valuable it was - for this reason he willingly gave up everything else. . . Matthew 13:44-46 (NLT)

44 The Kingdom of Heaven is like a treasure that a man discovered hidden in a field. In his excitement, he hid it again and sold everything he owned to get enough money to buy the field.

45 Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like a merchant on the lookout for choice pearls.

46 When he discovered a pearl of great value, he sold everything he owned and bought it!

In some instances backgounds of religion can be an impediment to one's faith when the doctrinal teachings of that religion places a greater emphasis on works than on the love that God has fro us and the grace He extends to us - or in works alone or faith that is not accompanied with works. . . Ephesians 2:8-10 (KJV)

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

James 2:19-26 (KJV)

19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?

22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Paul's religious pedigree made him so arrogant that he helped to kill Stepen and many others.

People like him tend to think that they can be saved by the old convenant.

That way, they can't be saved by the new convenant by Christ.

As for my religious background - they tried to make me a calvinist (but they failed).

What use is praying when God has already predetermined everything?

If I would still be in their web, I would never feel the consolation of praying so I would have no hope.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Q2. (3:2-6) Why isn't Paul merely neutral about his religious pedigree, and why does he consider it loss, dung, an obstacle?

What Paul considered as loss was not the pedigree of being one of God’s chosen people, a Jew, as we understand by Paul’s teaching that a Gentile believer does not have to become a Jew to be grafted into the covenant God promised to Israel, is as important the Gentile people understand that the Messianic Jewish believer, of whom Paul is, does not stop being a Jew, they are never called to give up their heritage, that of being God’s “first born”.

The obstacle I think Paul was speaking of was certainly not that of God’s righteous laws, but the dung of “legalism”.

Paul followed the system God gave to the circumcised people to follow and live by, but the “confidence of the flesh” found its way into God’s laws and perverted righteousness into that of “legalism” – it was the stiff necked form of “legalism” that Paul considered as loss, and in its place through his faith in the Messiah that Paul’s heart was circumcised, the righteousness of God’s love laws were written on his heart, not that of legalism, but that of pleasing the God of Israel.

• 2 months later...

2a)Paul had all Jewish credentials possible to a high level,born into Jewish faith,circumcised 8th day of prominent Benjaminite tribe which held land round the Holy city of Jerusalem,spoke Arameic &Hebrew,son of family that did so,a strict Pharisee, educated as student of Gamaliel, a respected rabbi.He was so zealous for orthodox,he had persecuted the church. He felt he was righteous by obeying the Law as Pharisees interpreted it

.b)Paul now knows in Christ all the previous mentioned credentials are worth nothing, compared to the freedom,&spiritual blessings of love,contentment,joy,forgiveness,hope,peace,fulfilment,God’swisdom he now has in Christ his master

.c)Appreciating the past& Christinan faith examples good but need to repent of pride in this &know it counts for nothing compared to growing in my relationship with Christ as my saviour& Lord,reading His Word &being obedient to this in how speak/live. :)

• 6 months later...

Paul felt that his religious background was empty within itself and not satisfying to the heart because the pride represented by them stood in the way of him having something more valuable – an intimate relationship with Christ. When he looked at what he was compared to what he had to gain with Jesus, Paul felt it all a loss and worthless because hanging on to them would not earn him right standing with God and they would hamper the relationship he longed for with Jesus.

My religious background would be an impediment to my faith if I hung on to a lot of the things I learned while growing up, if I thought that just because I did something (works) I would be in right relationship with God, and if I didn’t know that God has forgiven me of my sins. I have had to make choices that when I look back, I do not regret making because I choose Jesus over everything and everybody that is no longer in my life.