JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Righteousness through Faith

Righteousness that comes by faith, is the realization, that it's not what we have done, but what Jesus did! My church knows the importance of the relationship with our Lord, not just ritual observance. I don't know if society in general knows what to believe about "the church" if they

aren't going themselves, then all they know is what they hear, and alot of it isn't good. Of course the devil is a liar!

We are so used to having to prove ourselves to someone, work our way up the ladder, etc....that the idea that we are justified because of Jesus! Is just to easy! But I am glad it is so..because without Him, I could never measure up!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Righteousness by faith is not only believing and confessing but doing. Faith/confession of, are synonomous with action. No one is good, not even one describes mankind's inability to ever attain righteousness. The law was created to show us that we could not attain righteousness. If we live by the law, (which we cannot fully obey as humans) we reject what God did for us by sending His only Son to die for us. When we believe in Christ and not only confess our sins, but repent and turn away from them (action), we are forgiven and cleansed by His blood. Our faith with action brings us a righteousness never attainable under law. We were always taught that there's consequences for our actions and can't believe it's a free gift and easy to attain, we think there's got to be more. It's too easy.

RIGHTEOUSNESS THROUGH FAITH COMES FROM YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST.THROUGH LAW ,IS BY MAN.RIGHTEOUSNESS BY FAITH "GOD HAS DECLARED IT SO".RIGHTEOUSNESS BY LAW INFECTS OUR CONGREGATION BECAUSE IT IS LAWS MADE UP IN OUR CHURCH.IF THE CHURCH IS NOT CAREFUL,PEOPLE ARE JUDGED AS THEY COME IN THE DOOR."CHURCH LAWS" :blink: (STANDUARDS) :(

JUSTIFICATION OR RIGHTEOUNESS COMES THROUGH OUR FAITH.AS YOUR FAITH GROWS YOU WILL BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND MORE IN THIS CONCEPT.IF YOUR FAITH IS WEEK,YOU NEED MORE PERSONEL TIME WITH GOD.

• 1 month later...

I THINK THAT RIGHTEOUSNESS OBTAINED THROUGH LAW OBSERVANCE IS REALLY MAN TRYING TO DO THINGS IN ORDER TO GAIN GOD'S LOVE AND FAVOR. BUT OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS IS AS FILTHY RAGS.HOWEVER, RIGHTEOUSNESS THROUGH FAITH IS ME BEING IN RIGHT STANDING WITH GOD NOT BECAUSE OF ANY THING I HAVE DONE BUT ONLY BECAUSE I PLACED MY FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST AND HIS PRECIOUS BLOOD THAT WAS SHED FOR THE REMISSION OF MY SINS.

IN MY CONGREGATION,MOST PEOPLE ARE SENIORS AND FOR THE MOST PART I GET THE IMPRESSION THAT THEY ALL SEEM TO UNDERSTAND THAT RIGHTEOUSNESS CANNOT BE EARNED BY GOOD WORKS.I JUST MOVED TO THIS PLACE AND HAVE ONLY BEEN AT THIS CHURCH ABOUT TWO MONTHS NOW.

I THINK SOCIETY'S VIEW OF CHRISTIANITY WITH REGARDS TO RIGHTEOUSNESS BY LAW OBSERVANCE IS THAT THEY THINK WE ARE PEOPLE WHO HAVE TO KEEP A BUNCH OF RULES AND REGULATIONS IN THE BIBLE IN ORDER TO GO TO HEAVEN.I DONT THINK THEY TRULY UNDERSTAND THE LOVE AND INTIMACY WE SHARE WITH A LOVING HEAVENLY FATHER.THEY NEED TO SEE MORE OF CHRIST IN US.

I THINK IT'S DIFFICULT TO GRASP RIGHTEOUSNESS BY FAITH BECAUSE WE HUMANS ARE DOERS AND WE WANT TO DO IN ORDER TO BE IN RIGHT STANDING WITH GOD NOT REALISING WE MUST COME AS WE ARE AND SURRENDER TO HIM AND HE'LL MAKE US RIGHTEOUS BY THE BLOOD OF HIS SON JESUS...GOD BLESS....

• 9 months later...

The law served to manifest sin, righteousness. By the weakness of our flesh we cannot possibly avoid living in sin nor can we be made righteous. Through faith in our Savior we are able to not live in sin and, we are made righteous, saints.

A congregation is made up of different people of different levels of belief. Like all others, there are those in our congregation who are stuck in the Old Testament, under the law.

Society as a whole increasingly views Christianity as holier than thou, hypocrites. Shamefully, we have brought this upon ourselves by compromising the word of God to keep the pews warm and bringing false doctrine into our churches. Today if you ride a bus and attempt to read a passage to a fellow passenger you will be told to shut up as more people adopt a secular view of life because of our failure to be stedfast in the Truth.

To grasp righteousness by faith you have to believe and trust in the Lord. If you don't, you aren't.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (3:9) How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance? How seriously does righteousness by law observance infect your congregation? Society's view of Christianity in general? Why is this concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp?

Righteousness by faith is a matter of the heart and the Spirit. Righteousness by the law is of the flesh. It is practice, playing church. Through faith we trust God, through the law we are trusting ourselves. In our congregation its horrible, people forget that the Cross needs to be lifted up, not the law. Through the flesh we are condemned, through the Spirit there is no condemnation (Romans 8:1). Society will pick us apart continoiusly because we are sinners and they want to hold us up and judge us and ridicule us for being "hypocrites". They can't see faith. The carnally minded can't comprehend what is of the Spirit.

Here in the United States we live in an "..we must earn it" society. The fact that we have been given a gift and have been justified by no effort of our own plays against our pride and ego. The rich man down the street wouldn't want a Mercedes-Benz if all the poor people were just getting them for free after he had worked hard to earn his. The fact that the gift of salvation is open for everybody goes against a capitolistic society and theology.

• 6 months later...
Q3. (3:9) How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance? How seriously does righteousness by law observance infect your congregation? Society's view of Christianity in general? Why is this concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp?

Obtaining righteousness through faith is Grace instead of following the law. This grace doesn't give us a license to disobey the law but it does combine following man's laws if the don't contridict God's grace and also to continue to grow through God. I entered my church a lost abused child and they showed me grace and love of Jesus even allowing me to cry until the baby food became a diet on solid food. Yes there are some who wants things done by the book or law and they have there say but also come to see they need grace too. Society doesn't believe there is any God they are more in tune with the, "Me me me's" Man thins laws way is the only way and men must have laws to live in society while Christians are given grace through Jesus Ressurection for he is the only one who has ever overcome death an being made rightousness through repentance we are justified in God's sight. To understand this non-Christians must put the god of their life-themselves- down and they don;t want to do this.

• 3 weeks later...

righteousness obtained through faith means it is nothing that I have done but with faith in God and Christ's dying for me on the cross, it washes me white as snow. It means the Jesus cleanses me and I put on His righteousness.

righteousness by the law means I have to constantly try to do all the right things and to say all the right things to try and make myself acceptable to God. I cannot do that. It is impossible.

I don't think it is a major issue, but I am sure some of the congregation struggle with it.

I am not sure about Society's view, I think they believe we all should act and behave a certain way and if we don't they might question our Christianity.

because we feel we need to do something to obtain it, people question the things that are free, that are there for the taking.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (3:9) How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance? How seriously does righteousness by law observance infect your congregation? Society's view of Christianity in general? Why is this concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp

Righteousness by faith is gained by our faith in God, and our belief that he died on the cross for our sins so that we could be forgiven. Righteousness gained by following the law is based on our behavior and how well we follow a bunch of man made rules.

Righteosness by faith is gained by having a close personal relationship with God thru the Holy Spirit. One brings joy and fulfillment.The other promotes blind obediance to a set of man made rules.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (3:9) How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance?

Righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance in that righteousness under law considers a person righteous because of ones own upright behavior; whereas righteousness obtained through faith, considers a person righteous because God has declared it so and as judge considers a person so.

How seriously does righteous by law observance infect your congregation?

Righteousness by law observance seriously infect our congregation because it keeps them in bondage to the law and trusting the flesh instead of them going to God who has declared the penalty paid and that we are righteous, in a right standing with Him.

Society's view of Christianity in general?

The world sees us as we see ourselves. When we submit to obtaining righteousness through the law, society will always judge us by the law. The burden that will come upon you will weigh you down untill you get up from under the weight of the law.

Why is this concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp?

The concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp because we feel that we have to work for something to receive it. The difficulty will shed when we trust in God and accept His power to forgive and accept that we are adopted in the family of God and made righteous through Christ death on the cross.

• 4 weeks later...

through faith believes it is done, through the law believes theres so much more to do,and it keeps adding more and more.the burden can carry onto any congregation, for we are such people who like to pack things around. we cry about being tired, yet we really say, give me more to carry, i aint done yet.so why can't we grasp it? it's to easy, there must be more. we don't know how to react or respond to such a kind and gracious act.we simply don't understand this grace

• 1 month later...

The difference is that righteousness through faith is obtained through what Jesus did for us on the cross and subsequent discipleship. It is His righteousness not ours that is working in us. Observance of the Law is an incomplete righteousness that man is striving to obtain.

In my congregation we are focusing on righteousness by faith. Society's distorted view of Christianity is based on observance righteousness. A view of negative action vice positive action or attitude permeates society and often the church.

It is difficult to grasp because people have a need to feel they are doing something in the righteousness department. A need for control or being in control, i.e. I am righteousness because of what I am doing, etc.

• 6 months later...

Salvation through Grace is a free gift. Once we accept Christ it is a hard road but we realize we don't have to struggle to observe the old law but have faith in Christ. He is the righteous one.

I can't see that as an issue in my church.

A certain section of society (that part that doesn't understand that we aren't living under the law) may find it hard to understand Christianity(that Jesus expects us to follow him through faith. There will always be a segment of people who can't grasp that salvation is a free gift.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.ph...;f=78&t=327

Righteousness obtained through faith is utterly dependent on the object of our faith...in our case, Jesus Christ. But righteousness by law observance is entire based on our ability.

Our congregation is constantly being taught from the pulpit that the only law to obey is the law of love. And much is said about it and discussed at small groups. However, we still struggle and want to always make a list of things that can be done to obey the law of love, and then judge people who don't live like that. (Or maybe it's just me ... :P Anyways, it's something that we're trying to deal with, but it's not really an overwhelming issue.

Society really seems to think that Christianity is all about rules and laws and pushing people around.

The concept of righteousness by faith is difficult to grasp because we, as a society, are always trying to achieve something on our own merit. We always respect and promote people who have achieved great things. So when it comes to our salvation, we want to have the same approach. It just doesn't seem fair to allow someone else to have to do all the heavy lifting, and then we just tag along. So when someone else offers us free salvation, we might say "No, thanks. I'll just put in my best show and hope that it's enough." Ya -- right.

• 3 months later...

We only have to ask God to forgive us of our sins and come into our hearts and by faith believe it is true. To receive righteousness by the law we would have to work for it. It would be something we achieved by our own effort. Our congregation believes our works are the fruit of the spirit. If you love God you will want to work for his glory. I can't speak for the rest of the world, I just know you can't earn your way into heaven by your works.

• 3 months later...

Becoming one with God through His Son Christ Jesus, no longer counting on being saved by being good enough or by obeying God's laws, but by trusting Christ to save me; for God's way of making me right with Himself depends on faith counting on Christ alone, and not my goodness.

• 6 months later...

Q3. (3:9) How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance?

Righteousness obtained through faith, is totally dependent upon faith in the shed blood of Jesus and His Resurrection, to cleanse me from all sin and unrighteousness, while righteousness through law observance is totally dependent upon ones will power to observe and keep the law. The Bible says that is impossible to achieve, a waste of time and energy, and that Jesus came to fulfill the law and to set us free from that school master, which was only meant to show us our sin and need for a Savior.

How seriously does righteousness by law observance infect your congregation?

I'm unaware of much of this at all. I hear an occasional comment from a new believer who is still trying to get all the "check marks in the box", but for the most part it's not a problem.

It seems that many see Christianity as a crutch for the weak who can't make it through life in their own strength. They question why or how anyone would "take the sins of the world and die for others" as silly. Society is all about having control, controlling one's destiny, having the most toys, etc. To give up control to "religion" is absurd to those who are not seekers after righteousness.

Why is this concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp?

I think it's because it goes against everything the world teaches...that we are to be strong, to depend on yourself and no one else, be good, etc. To admit sin and weakness, and the need to be cleansed from sin, goes against the grain of the world, the flesh and the devil. It has to do with pride and the fallen nature....since we're cut off from God until we acknowledge Him as Lord and Savior, we try to please Him and others by "being good"....instead of allowing Him to make us good....conform us into the image of Jesus.

• 2 months later...

Q3. (3:9)

How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance?

Our righteousness only comes from God. No amount of law keeping, self-improvement, discipline, or religious effort can make us right with God. He exchanges our sin and various other shortcomings for His complete righteousness. The only way we can be made righteous is by faith, by putting our trust in Jesus Christ. The Bible says,

• 7 months later...

Righteousness obtained through the observance of the Law requires one to keep or be obedient to the Law at all times - the whole Law, for when any part of the Law is broken th whole Law is broken - "personal" obedience is necessary. . . Righteousness through faith is knowing that Jesus has fulfilled the Law and by trusting Him, we "through Him" are declared righteous and have right standing in the presence of God. . . Righteousness through observance of the Law requires that "YOU" (peraonally) comply with the Law. . . Righteousness obtained through faith requires that we believe the Jesus has fulfilled the Law and as a result of our confidence in Him we are able to walk upright before God. .

It is not possible for me to say that "righteousness by the Law" has not in any way infested those I worship with - but I can truthfully say that such. (that righteousness can be obtained by keeping the Law) IS NOT WHAT IS BEING TAUGHT. .

Society expects, or better demands that Christian keep the Law (or what they suspect to be the Law - the Ten Commandments) - however, Christians know that we have not the where-withall to keep the Law and that there is no need for us to attempt to do so since Jesus has already fulfilled the Law and we by faith have already done so in Him. . .

The concept of "righteousness by faith" or "justification" is difficult to grasp because we know that there is a consequence to sin (all sin) and are somehow under the impression that we must suffer that consequence personally - failing to realize or accept the fact that Jesus has paid the penalty for our sins - past, present, and future - through His death, burial, and rsurrection. . . What is required of us when we sin is that we repent and turn from such actions or activities. . .Proverbs 28:13 (NLT)

13 People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.

1 John 1:5-10 (NLT)

5 This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all.

6 So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth.

7 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth.

9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.

10 If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts.

1 John 2:1-3 (NLT)

1 My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous.

2 He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world.

3 And we can be sure that we know him if we obey his commandments.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Eph. 2:8-9

"8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith

• 3 months later...

Righteousness obtained through faith is when a person believes by faith that Jesus died for our sins on the cross and was raised from the dead for our salvation. Because Jesus died for us, we are declared righteous, because God, as the righteous judge, justified people on the basis of what Jesus did. Whereas, righteousness obtained through law observance is personal obedience to the letter of the law. A person is righteous because of his or her own upright behavior.

It is sad to say that in my church, there are people who are measuring their spiritual life by how they observe and do not break God

• 11 months later...

Q3. (3:9) how does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance?

For one to obtain righteousness through the observance of God's law is dependent on ones love and "faith" in Paul's God, the God of Israel, observance of God's laws is a means for us to give praise and glory to the God of Israel for sending to us His Son, Jesus, praise is seen in our obedience, our desire to follow God's laws of righteousness, the Son tells us the most important law for those who are walking in "faith" is that we love His God and Father by following His laws, but with the right motives.

Paul found the right motives as he put his "faith" in Israel’s Messiah, Jesus, Paul now sees God's laws through new eyes of "faith" and not that of "legalism" - it was through this "faith" that Paul's heart was circumcised with right motives, God's laws are now seen in a new "light".

Faith in the Christ brings new motives of obedience to God's laws, just as Abraham's "faith" was revealed in his obedience to God, it was through his obedience that his "faith" was seen as that of righteousness, the heart has been circumcised with the right motives, the motive is that of love, no longer is the motive coming from a legalistic stiff necked people of uncircumcised hearts.

When I as a young person became a Christian, in order for me to be holy I was given all kinds of manmade laws that I was to observe, but I found that they were laws that pleased man, that if I was not careful, they would build up in my heart, religious pride, following laws, manmade or those of God with the wrong motives, does not bring righteousness, only that of pride in self.

It is sad to say, but society sees too many who call themselves Christians but walk in hypocrisy, not that of God's laws of righteousness.

I find this hard to answer because I don't see how anyone can find "faith" difficult to grasp, faith is an active word, so what may be difficult to grasp is that "faith" calls one to action, "faith" calls one to righteousness, righteousness may be difficult to grasp, if they do not understand they cannot do it on their own, the Messiah sends the Holy Spirit, it is the Cross that calls us to walk in "faith" obedience to God's laws of righteousness, a call to righteousness may difficult for them to grasp.

• 9 months later...

Righteousness obtained from faith considers a person righteous because God said so, righteousness by the law considers a person righteous because of their behavior. Righteous by law affects anyone who thinks that they are justified by works or what they do. We cannot make ourselves right with God because righteousness comes from Him and Him only. It is hard to grasp because people are amazed that Jesus bore our sins and gave His life for us.

• 1 year later...

Philippians 3:8b-9a
Q). How does righteousness obtained through faith differ from righteousness obtained through law observance?
A). Righteousness under law considers a person righteous because of his or her own upright behavior. Righteousness by faith, considers a person righteous because God has declared it so and as judge considers a person so.
#
Q). How seriously does righteousness by law observance infect your congregation? Society's view of Christianity in general?
A). Righteousness by law produces self-righteous and better-than-thou attitudes in the congregation. I believe that a self-righteous attitude may create adversity in society's view of Christianity in general.
#
Q). Why is this concept of justification or righteousness by faith so difficult to grasp?
A). The concept of justification or righteousness by faith is difficult to grasp simply because it is hard to believe that it is true.

• 5 months later...

​There is no righteousness that can be obtained by law observation. Human beings are such that they unable to achieve a state of righteousness by their own endeavors. Paul wrote "For all have sinned and come short of  God's glory" (Romans 3:23) As Christians we believe that righteousness can only be obtained  as it is granted by the grace of God in Jesus Christ. God  so loved the world that he gave his only son that whoever believed in that son would have eternal life and in receiving eternal life we are clothed in a cloak of righteousness that hides all our blotches and spots. The cloak wipes away our sin as water washes away dirt. Our baptism in effect washes our sin away through Jesus and covers us in a mantle of light. Thus, we Christ standing beside as the perpetuation of our sins we can stand before God the father as if we were righteous. 

well that is hard to determine. By church doctrine and law we all believe in Christ being the perpetuation  of our sins. There are no doubt, however, that some feel their works will do.

Because it is to good to be true.