JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Rejoicing -- Passive or Active?

I WOULD SAY REJOICING IN THE LORD IS BOTH.IT CAN BE A FEELING AND IT CAN BE AN ACTION.YOU CAN SAY ,I HAVE THE JOY OF THE LORD IN MY LIFE.SO YOU SPEAK OUT WHAT YOU FEEL THERE IS JOY UNSPEAKABLE,SO IF THE JOY IS UNSPEAKABLE YOU EXPRESS YOUR JOY IN ACTION.SINGING,SHOUTING,RUNNING,GIVING,AND SO ON.I HAVE HAD SO MUCH JOY THAT I LAUGH SO MUCH I CRY.SEEKING GOD IS A JOY.I ALSO BELIEVE ITS WHAT WE SET OUR MINDS ON.PAUL SAYS TO PROGRAM OUR MINDS WITH THOUGHTS THAT ARE TRUE,NOBLE,RIGHT,PURE,LOVELY,ADMIRABLE,EXCELENT,AND PRAISEWORTHY.WE MUST BE POSITIVE AND NOT NEGITIVE.BE HAPPY,DONT WORRY,AS THE OLD SAYING GOES.ASK GOD TO HELP YOU FOCUS ON THE GOOD THINGS OF LIFE.GOD IS GOOD,SO WE MUST FOCUS ON HIS GOODNESS.THE EFFECT OF REJOICING IS PEACE,EVEN WHEN THINGS DON'T SEEM TO BE GOING LIKE THEY SHOULD.AMEN

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REJOICING IN THE LORD IS A DELIBERATE ACTION; A DELIBERATE CHOICE IN THE MIDST OF CIRCUMSTANCES WHETHER NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE. CIRCUMSTANCES ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DICTATE TO US WHETHER TO REJOICE OR NOT. PAUL SAID REJOICE ALWAYS AND DAVID SAID I WILL PRAISE THE LORD; EMPHASIS ON THE WORD WILL.

THRE ARE MANY TIMES THAT I DONT FEEL LIKE PRAISING THE LORD BUT I NOTICE THAT ONCE I'VE STARTED MY FEELINGS USUALLY LINE UP WITH MY WILL OR ACTION TO PRAISE.THAT'S WHY WE WALK BY FAITH AND NOT FEELINGS AND THAT IS SO DIFFICULT FOR ME AT TIMES BUT I'VE ALWAYS LOVED TO SING, EVEN BEFORE I WAS SAVED, AND SO NOW I HAVE LOTS OF REASONS TO SING PRAISES TO MY GOD AND REJOICE IN HIM DESPITE LIFE'S CHALLENGES.

THE EFFECTS OF REJOICING IN MY LIFE HAS BEEN TREMENDOUS.WHEN I PRAISE AND REJOICE I'VE SEEN GOD MOVE TREMENDOUSLY LIKE HE DID FOR JEHOSOPHAT AND THE CHILDREN OF GOD.PRAISE CHANGES ME AND FILLS ME WITH THE JOY OF THE LORD. PRAISE CONNECTS ME WITH GOD AND KEEPS MY HEART TENDER TOWARD OTHERS.I'M ABLE TO REJOICE AND PRAISE IN ADVERSITIES AND I'M THANKFUL THAT HE'S TEACHING ME HOW....GOD BLESS...

• 5 months later...

It appears to me that rejoicing in the Lord is less feeling and more action. In fact, I think it is something to do with attitude from which action is born. As an example, those we love, that is not necessarily those people with whom we feel excited all the time, but we have a positive attitude towards their betterment. This means when they succeed we may not have intense feeling of excitement, but we do have a positive attitude towards their success. This I think is rejoicing in the Lord.

Secondly, I think rejoicing in the Lord means, rejoicing in the people for whom the Lord cares. Such rejoicing is poosible only if we can "empty ourselves." I am a teacher and I see everyday successful students who do not rejoice even if they have done well, because somebody else has done better. Such lack of rejoicing is common.

It is easier, I think, to share the sorrows of others, but to rejoice with someone who may grow above our shoulder's height seems to be something very difficult for people.

That is where I think grace enters the picture. Our efforts lead us to some extent but God has to help us.

Denzil Madhavan

• 4 months later...

Rejoicing is a feeling that comes from within, inspired by the Holy Spirit. If you don't feel like rejoicing it is simply because you are walking in the flesh and not the Spirit. The reason I say this is because the Spirit teaches us to rejoice in any situation whether it be good or bad. This we know because our life is in the hands of the Potter and He is molding us and making us after His will, whatever ill betide.

When one rejoices one lifts up God and He, in turn, lifts us up.

• 7 months later...
Q1. (4:4-5) Is rejoicing in the Lord a feeling or an action? How should you seek to fulfill this command if you don't feel like it? What is the effect of rejoicing?

Rejoicing is not a feeling but an action. No matter what you are feeling you should rejoicing you should praise God continually. The effects of rejoicing makes you feel like rejoicing.

• 3 months later...

Q1. (4:4-5) Is rejoicing in the Lord a feeling or an action?

Rejoicing in the Lord is a feeling that sometimes generates an action.

How should you seek to fulfill this command if you don't feel like it?

We should seek to fulfill the command if you don't feel like it by surrendering to the guidance of the Holy Spirit of God who will lead you to rejoice in the Lord. There may be times when the flesh would try to dominate the spirit and tempt us into entering a state of neglecting our duties to God; it is at these times that the Spirit of God within us teaches us how to overcome and if we pay heed to His calling we will be victorious.

What is the effect of rejoicing?

When we rejoice in the Lord, God is glorified and delights in us. For us we find emotional peace and unspeakable joy.

• 5 weeks later...

Rejoicing in the Lord can be both a feeling and an action. There is great joy that comes from deep within (feeling) and there are actions that correspond to that (love of others, praise, worship, song). I love music. When I don't feel that joy, I turn my radio on (and up :-) and sing along with the praise songs. It lifts my spirits and brings me back in tune with what is important - praising our Lord.

• 3 weeks later...
Q1. (4:4-5) Is rejoicing in the Lord a feeling or an action? How should you seek to fulfill this command if you don't feel like it? What is the effect of rejoicing?

rejoicing in the lord is a complete action. we have to decide on whether we want to or not. feelings come and go, and they depend on what is happening around them. they much like appear as a rollercoaster, up when things are great, down when things are a miss. you know, it starts with thankfulness, and ends as well with thankfulness. even in the middle there is thankfulness. when we keep our eyes on us, we end up empty and alone. but if we keep our eyes on him and what he has done in our place, well there is only one thing to do, and that is rejoice!

Is rejoicing in the Lord a feeling or an action? How should you seek to fulfill this command if you don't feel like it? What is the effect of rejoicing?

When you rejoice in the Lord you are proving your faith in Him to be true. When you rejoice you dont say "for all that You have done", but "For who You are Lord". Therefore rejoicing is more of an action than a feeling. Were it a feeling, what happens when you just dont feel like it? Like prayer, we have to do it good bad, or any way. The only wrong way to pray is not praying at all. At the time you dont feel like rejoicing, that is the time when you should greatly rejoice. Only the devil makes you sad or depressed, so if you give in to his demands of not rejoicing then you will realise that you "dont feel like it" more often than not.

Lastly, rejoicing gives you a feeling of satisfaction and ease. Have you ever realised how a good belly laugh lifts you up? That is how being in a jovial mood always will lift you up. Yo u will no longer see the hole in the doughnut, but the dough in it. So rejoice in the Lord always, there is more to gain in so doing.

• 1 month later...

I think that rejoicing in the Lord is a feeling, an emotion that leads to different actions for the Lord. If I don't feel like rejoicing in the Lord, I pray to the Lord to fill me with the Holy Spirit to motivate me to rejoice in the Lord. Sometimes, as human beings, we need to be motivated to do many things includinig rejoicing.

The effect of rejoicing is that it honors God; brings us into a closer relationship with Him; and it brings us to a realization of our relationship with God and the peace and understanding of spiritual things that are eternal and Godly.

• 6 months later...

I'm going to ride the fence here and say it is a combination of both. I understand that being joyful is an action but it has to come from a feeling within which God will give us if we ask.

You have to pray without ceasing. Sometimes we have to play the part and the real joy will come if we concentrate on God and not on our problems.

Our love for Jesus will grow and we will be much better people to be around when we rejoice in the Lord and let our joy flow through to others.

It is both. You have to keep on keeping on. The Holy Spirit will intercede for you when you can't find the right words to pray and being with other Christians will help with the rejoicing part. When I am in "church" I can't help but rejoice.

Rejoicing lift you up but more important the Lord loves our praise. In the meantime you may also help others.

• 3 months later...

Rejoicing in the Lord would be both a feeling and an action. We would not be able to sit still with that joy in our hearts. If we don't feel like rejoicing we should praise God, sing, pray, remember what a wonderful God we serve. When we rejoice we want to do more for the Lord's glory.

• 3 months later...

Rejoicing is An Action that should not cease, Feeling deals with emotions and last only a short time, but "Actions" become an life style and continues and becomes an attuitude of graduitude for all the things God has alouded to take place in our life, past, present and further. We are to rejoice always.

When we don't like fulfill the command of rejoicing we ask the Lord to teach us to rejoice in Him and as His Holy Spirit teaches us we have to act and follow up on just what He tells us and when we do as He says we find our hearts and lives began to create in us the attuitude of joy and rejoicing in Jesus Christ.

The effect of rejocing is not done occasional, but constant, continual always. When I think about the goodness of Jesus and all that He has done for me, my soul crys out halleluiah thank God for saving me.

• 6 months later...

Q1. (4:4-5) Is rejoicing in the Lord a feeling or an action?

It can be both a feeling or an action...one can lead to the other, it should be a way of life. But I can't rely on feelings to lead to rejoicing if I'm feeling heavy hearted or troubled in trials. At those times it must be an act of will to obey.

Do it anyway in obedience to the command. If it seems impossible and it has to me in times of extreme trials or grief, I can pray and ask for the Holy Spirit to enable me to obey; for the Lord's own joy to fill me, and He does.

Rejoicing leads to worship and thanksgiving. It changes my mood. It moves God and pleases Him. It changes things in the atmosphere. Hope and faith rebound. It calls to mind all that God has done in saving me, delivering me, filling me with His Holy Spirit, saving my family...and on and on. Those things are more than sufficient to rejoice in, no matter how current situations may be weighing on my heart. If I'm under attack from Satan, he flees as I "submit myself to God" in worship and rejoicing.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (4:4-5)

Is rejoicing in the Lord a feeling or an action?

How should you seek to fulfil this command if you don't feel like it?

Rejoicing in the Lord is not an automatic feeling, but rather a deliberate choice; it is a matter of obedience. It does not mean that we are immune to feeling sad or depressed, but deep down we know that our Heavenly Father is sovereign and our lives are in His hands. It is a fruit of the Holy Spirit, a solid abiding contentment in God who has given us His promises in His Word.

• 4 months later...

Q1. (4:4-5) Is rejoicing in the Lord a feeling or an action? Both.

The lesson explains this very well. Rejoicing is not passive but, as a command by Paul, it is a deliberate action.

My high school football coach used to say "90% of practice is just showing up". Nobody wants to practice! You simply have to make yourself show up out of respect or duty or honor. If we do not want to pray or rejoice and put it off we don't show up. We don't show up for God. Once we pray or rejoice, our focus changes from the negative or the distraction or whatever is bringing us down. When we show up and rejoice and obey Paul's command we turn our thoughts to heavenly things.

We can find joy in God's love for us, that Christ died on the cross for us, that our names are written in the Book of Life, that the Holy Spirit is with us; and that we have eternal life with God.

• 3 months later...

Rejoicing in the Lord is an action, not a feeling. . . An action that results in one recognizing znd zcceptig the fact that God loves you and them praising Him for that love. . .

Rejoicing in the Lord provides us with strength - strength that affords up the ability to continue progressing in our walk with the Lord. . . Nehemiah 8:8-10 (NKJV)

8 So they read distinctly from the book, in the Law of God; and they gave the sense, and helped them to understand the reading.

9 And Nehemiah, who was the governor, Ezra the priest and scribe, and the Levites who taught the people said to all the people, "This day is holy to the Lord your God; do not mourn nor weep." For all the people wept, when they heard the words of the Law.

10 Then he said to them, "Go your way, eat the fat, drink the sweet, and send portions to those for whom nothing is prepared; for this day is holy to our Lord. Do not sorrow, for the joy of the Lord is your strength."

B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Q1. (4:4-5) is rejoicing in the Lord a feeling or an action?

For me it is both, rejoicing in the Lord is a very real feeling that calls me to action, I am happy, rejoicing in the Lord, because I am a bride of the King, the King who has reconciled me to the God of the Universe, and because I have the sweet Holy Spirit living in me, Who corrects and teaches me what true joy is - that of abiding in the Messiah.

Rejoicing in the Lord calls me to action, the only reason I am able to "rejoice" always, in all situations, is because I rejoice in Him.

I cannot explain in words how I was able to "rejoice", be at peace, when my world seemed to be falling apart for me, but, I remember what the Messiah said, He promised He would not leave me alone, He would send the Holy Spirit, it was the Holy Spirit that calmed my soul; How can we not but "rejoice in the Lord always, I said, rejoice in the Lord!"

If you don't feel like rejoicing, I would suggest you pray about it.

Joy and peace is the effect of rejoicing! :)

• 2 months later...

a)Rejoicing is a deliberate action, a command to find joy in God’s love that as believers we have the Holy Spirit with us constantly, that Jesus Christ died for our sins, and that we have eternal life with God.

b)Pray about it.Many causes why people bereft of joy- faith not fulfiling emotionally, sober church; surface relationship with Jesus, little experience of sustanence through hard times or deliverance from diff probs.If struggle to know joy-can ask the Lord to open our heart &life to joy,ask Jesus to help me to rejoice in Him,then follow His promptings grow in relationship with the Lord.He will guide us to this joy by in our attitude of the mind towards the Lord.

c)We become more peaceful,patient,humble &joyful doing as Paul asks to replace bitterness with rejoicing,being gentle to one another,rather than hostile,¬ bearing grudges,able to submit to “injustice”,maltreatment without malice, trusting God inspite of it al.Path to reconciliation starts with me.

• 6 months later...

True rejoicing in the Lord is an inner feeling that cannot be described. We can be full of joy knowing that Jesus is with us and if we do not feel like rejoicing, we can ask Him to help us. I sometimes listen to gospel music, think of all of the wonderful things God has done for me, and that I have a promise of eternal life with Him. The effects for me is when I do rejoice, He makes His presence felt, it takes my mind off worldly things, and gives me a sense of peace that is unexplainable.

• 1 year later...

Philippians 4:4-5
Q). Is rejoicing in the Lord a feeling or an action?
A). Rejoicing is not merely a passive, spontaneous reaction; as a command it is to be a deliberate action.
#
Q). How should you seek to fulfill this command if you don't feel like it?
A). The answer is found in asking the Lord himself to open your heart and life to joy. Ask Jesus to teach you to rejoice in him. Then follow the promptings he gives you.
#
Q). What is the effect of rejoicing?
A). Rejoicing, along with prayer and thanksgiving will effectively bring us the peace of God (And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.) -Philippians 4:7.

• 5 months later...

Question 8-1

The definition of rejoice is a verb. Also in the reading notes suggests that rejoice is in the beginning is an action but as the rejoiceing is turned over to the Lord it becomes an emotion akin to joy. Paul demands that the Philippians their thought s over to the Lord. The notes say that "Rejoicing is not merely a passive spontanous reaction as a command for a deliberate action. "

To rejoice is a command, we are to do this thing, rejoice in the Lord - always. Not just when you want to rejoice but ALWAYS.

I have just carelessly hurt a friend and must ask forgiveness

? My heart grieves over my unfeeling actions- but still I must rejoice in the Lord.