JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

PAUL WAS CONTENTED IN CHRIST. HE HAD EXPERIENCED SEVERE TRIALS AND HAD OVERCOME IN CHRIST. HE FOUND OUT THAT HE WAS ABLE TO DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO GAVE HIM THE INNER STRENGTH TO DO SO.SO HE FOUND OUT THAT NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCE WAS, HE COULD BE CONTENTED BECAUSE HE HAD LEARNED HOW TO BE CONTENTED IN TRIALS.

CONTENTMENT AND AMBITION WORK WELL TOGETHER. PAUL WAS CONTENTED YET VERY AMBITIOUS WHERE THE GOSPEL WAS CONCERNED.IT WASNT A SELFISH AMBITION ; RATHER HE WAS VERY ZEALOUS ABOUT CHRIST AND HIS WORK.HE WAS CONTENTED IN HIS AMBITIONS FOR CHRIST.

FOR US TO ACHIEVE THIS KIND OF CONTENTMENT, WE HAVE TO LEARN JUST LIKE PAUL DID; IN LIFE'S TRIALS.PAUL SAID I LEARNT HOW TO BE CONTENT. THAT MEANS IT'S A PROCESS, IT DOESNT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT.WE HAVE TO REJOICE IN EVERY SITUATION AND GIVE THANKS IN ALL THINGS AND NOT MURMUR AND COMPLAIN WHEN WE'RE TEMPTED TO.WE PRAISE WHEN WE DONT FEEL LIKE IT AND GIVE SACRIFICIALLY LIKE THE PHILLIPIANS DID. WE DO ALL THINGS FOR CHRIST AND KEEP OUR EYES FIXED ON HIM ALWAYS IN TOTAL SURRENDER TO HIS WORD. WE ABIDE IN HIS LOVE....GOD BLESS....

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course the basis for Paul's contentment was Jesus Christ and the confidence that through His power Paul could experience any situation and prevail. Paul therefore concluded that by living a godly life in the Lord He was in God's will and would rejoice, no matter what he had or didn't have.

Contentment in Christ makes one more ambitious as the little victories that might be overlooked by considering what one lacks or wants become big victories. A great incentive to press on toward success.

To achieve Paul's level of contentment it would be to suffer loss, learn to live with that loss, celebrate Jesus in your loss and give thanksgiving for what you do have, the Lord's love, grace and mercy.

• 11 months later...

Q2. (4:11-13) What is the basis of Paul's contentment?

The basis of Paul's contentment is his faith in Christ Jesus that He will provide for his needs.

Does this contentment undermine ambition?

No, this contentment does not undermine ambitions but rather ignite our faith and trust in God.

What is necessary for us to achieve this kind of contentment?

We achieve this kind of contentment when we take our focus off the world and strive to live in the Will of our Lord concerning us.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Q2. (4:11-13) What is the basis of Paul's contentment? Does this contentment undermine ambition? What is necessary for us to achieve this kind of contentment?

paul was a doer. if we could go into paul's house, we could let him tell us about all those first place trophys on his mantle piece. we could call it" the look at me room" and "all that i accomplished myself deal". all that was so finely polished at one time is now dusty with spider webs. it had to be real confusing to him even with the shock of seeing jesus on the road to damascus, to go from a doer to it is finished, completely done, guy.maybe thats why he spent 3 years in arabia to figure this out.but as he grew in the lord, all things were made sure. he knew the lord would meet every need.and much like paul, we too would want to go to work for the lord. but we can't just sit on our laurels and expect things to get done, nor can we step in front of the lord and do them in his name with our own strength. if we choose not to submit to his spirit,we choose ourselves over him. our balance is in his spirit.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (4:11-13) What is the basis of Paul's contentment? Does this contentment undermine ambition? What is necessary for us to achieve this kind of contentment?

Paul found contentment in whatever situation that God Almighty moved him into. Paul had abandoned himself over to Jesus Christ and wherever Jesus lead he followed or wherever he was send he went and he was content in whatever circumstance he found himself. His contentment was grounded in Jesus Christ.

This kind of contentment has nothing to do with amibition. This about building and spreading the Kingdom of God.

This kind of contentment is acheived by abandoning ourselves to Jesus Christ. As Paul said "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. "

• 10 months later...

Christ is the basis of Paul's contentment. This knowledge of Christ spurs Paul on to be more like Him. Maturity as a Christian is what brings about this contentment. Our faith and trust deepens and grows as we go through life and we see where God has brought us from and what He has brought us through.

• 3 months later...

Paul learned the "how to" , and put what he had learned as a way of life , and that was that "I can do all things through Christ who strength me". Meaning it, and live it at all times. Paul knows that he could not live under his own strength , because he was weak , but he could plug into the power of strength of Christ Jesus. It is necessary for us to acquire that kind of contentment for us to be able to know that we have the strength of Christ when we except Christ as the head of our life , and we to have the knowledge, faith, and desire that nothing we face is too great for Christ, who strengthen us when we to are weak.

• 6 months later...

Paul was totally surrendered to Christ and His will for Paul. His desires and will were aligned with the Lord's, so whatever was allowed to touch his life, he viewed as God's will for him and He welcomed and accepted it without complaint.

I think it depends upon whether "ambition" is motivated by the flesh, or whether it's a dream God has placed in us. If it's fleshly ambition for gain, contentment is impossible because the flesh is never satisfied. If it's God dream He's birthing in us, we can be content yet looking toward the goal He's set before us. True godly contentment stifles worldly ambition to get more..."get ahead".

Like Paul, to remember that we died with Christ, and now He lives in and through us, therefore, we can be content in whatever situation He lead us. It's a matter of whether our will is surrendered to God's will...if what's going on is God's will, then it's ok.

We had our own business and a beautiful home, kids in private Christian school, etc. When the last recession hit in 1990, we lost our business and our home. Our kids had graduated from high school, and now struggled to get a college education. My husband and I became homeless, but were taken in by strangers for a year and a half, in which time my husband lost his eyesight. We lost one of our cars, and our dog died. We lost friends. We lost our status in our community....and on and on it went. We learned how very little one needs to exist, and we discovered that God is our source for everything we eat, have, do, etc. He is our Jehoval Jireh, and our strength. I am content with the tiny apartment we're in, and the one old car we drive. I accept where we are and what we have. Through the great losses, Jesus has become my ALL, and I'm more than content.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (4:11-13)

What is the basis of Paul's contentment?

Paul had to learn to be contented; it is not something that comes automatically. As he stated, he experienced both little and plenty. Later he was to become independent of circumstance and this because he became dependent upon Christ. This total dependence on Christ is what gave him his contentment. I don

• 4 months later...

Paul is not a Stoic or Cynic ethic, but is Christ-sufficient. Paul has "learned the secret" at some point in his journey. Paul knows he can rely on Christ's strength to face any circumstance that comes to him in the course of his life and ministry......and Paul did face a plethora of untoward and difficult situations!

It is opposite of undermining ambition. To say "I can do all things through Christ that strengtheneth me" indicates strength, ability, and competency. Christ's strength allows us to strike out for new ground with great ambition.

Like Paul, we must "learn the secret".

• 3 months later...

That Christ is sufficient to bring him through and out of any and every circumstance he might encounter in life. . .

NO, the type of contentment Paul is takling about does not hinder ambition - on the contrary it gives us the confidence that we can accomplish anything we set ours hearts to. . .

The thing that is necessary for us to achieve this kind of contentment is an active faith in God and in His Word. . .

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Paul says that he can do this job because Christ makes him doing it.

Most people want to be content about themselves - not in Christ or anybody.

We want the honour for our work, prefarably as much as we can get.

Paul however gives all honour to God.

This is very difficult.

Paul completely surrendered to God and that needs lots of trust.

Many times, we need a special experience before we can do that.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Q2. (4:11-13) what is the basis of Paul's contentment?

Paul's contentment came from having a personal relationship with Israel's Messiah. It was through that relationship that he realized, he learned, that no matter what state he found himself in, that of luxury, or that of suffering, he found the strength to cope with both.

Luxury can steer a person in the wrong direction, as well as suffering can, they can take your eyes off of your relationship with Christ, and put them back on "self".

Paul experienced what true contentment is, and passes onto us; it is in the Messiah that we can find the power to be content, to do all things.

God calls his people to be "ambitious" - He teaches us to be and to give our best in whatever we do, however, I do believe contentment can be undermined, if the "object" of what we seek after is our "ambition". :wacko:

The Messiah teaches us that godliness and contentment go hand in hand, if the main object of our "ambition" is to seek after godliness, true contentment will follow.

• 2 months later...

2a)Paul’s basis for his contentment is in Christ alone, living in His strength and with resources He provides, emotional,physically,spiritually.

bNo,only if the focus of our contentment moves from God to self or other provider

C)To achieve this contentment need to totally rely on Christ in all circumstances,putting our hope,trust& courage in Him.I certainly can testify that I have known His strength & power most evident in my weakness physically and when spiritually tested.

• 6 months later...

Paul was content of the basis of his relationship and dependence on Christ. He saw life from God’s point of view and did what God wanted done. He acknowledged that his sufficiency was in Christ and Christ alone. I do not think that this contentment undermines ambition because Paul was very ambitious about spreading the gospel. He was detached from nonessentials and kept his focus on eternity. To have this kind of contentment, one must have a deep and personal relationship with Jesus. He is the only person who can give this kind of contentment.

• 1 year later...

Philippians 4:11-13
Q). What is the basis of Paul's contentment?
A). Paul's contentment is based on the fact that Christ is sufficient to any circumstance in which he might find himself!
#
Q). Does this contentment undermine ambition?
A). Paul's contentment did not undermine his ambition. Though Paul had his eyes set on an other-worldly goal, he very much lived in this world -- trusting Christ at each step of the journey, in each crisis and in each victory.
#
Q). What is necessary for us to achieve this kind of contentment?
A). To achieve this kind of contentment we must believe that Christ is sufficient to any circumstance in which we might find ourselves.

• 1 year later...

The basis of Paul’s contentment is that he doesn’t have his eye on this world. He has his eye on Jesus Christ and he knows that Jesus is watching out for him. This contentment does not undermine ambition. I should encourage your ambition sense it is focused on pleasing God. We can achieve this kind of contentment when we keep our focus on God.

• 4 weeks later...

The basis of Paul's contentment was his relationship with Christ.  Christ filled him up, even when His circumstances were not comfortable. Contentment in Christ undermines SELFISH ambitions, but it fuels the desire to serve Christ wherever He places us to serve.  Contentment in Christ equips us to victoriously adapt and succeed in whatever circumstance God places us in.  Our service becomes acts of worship.

• 1 year later...

The basis for his contentment is not a what, but a who--Jesus Christ.

No.... As long as we are focusing on Him & His will for us.

Trust Him, read His Word, pray keep our relationship open with Him and be joyful & content.

Q2. (4:11-13) What is the basis of Paul's contentment? 

Does this contentment undermine ambition? What is necessary 

for us to achieve this kind of contentment?

1. We must learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

We must set our minds on things above, not on earthly things.

1. No, but trust Christ at each step of the journey, in each 

crisis and in each victory. 

1. Believe that,"You can do everything through him who gives me 

strength." (4:13) Be determined to stick with God. 

Paul lives for His redeemer, his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He learned to be content, that the outward rewards (e.g.wealth) doesn't mean anything. He had so much happen to him, that he learned to be content to be alive and to work for His Master. That is contentment, nothing else matters. Once we understand, that we only live here on earth for a whisk of time (100 years??) as compared to eternity, nothing matters. So , should we not focus, like Paul on the eternal treasures???

Contentment does not undermine ambition, far from it. Because of this revelation, we are much more eager to be ambitious for the cause of Christ, to bring the Gospel to the people around us.

I have learned through study and understanding and knowledge, what is important in life. Nothing matters at all, only Christ. We cannot be anything else but content. We have Christ, what more do we want?

Q2. (4:11-13) 

What is the basis of Paul's contentment? 

The basis of Paul’s contentment is his setting his mind on things above – on our Lord Jesus. 

This does not undermine any ambition we might have.

I think it would have just the opposite effect, with our minds focused on Christ and not on earthly things, all things are possible in His power.

To achieve this contentment, we need to rely completely on our Heavenly Father.

Christ is the source of our strength, and He will provide, as He thinks best for us. 

Shalom Saints by Faith in Messiah

Greetings,

1. He has learned a secret of being content in any and every situation whether hungry, fed, living in plenty or want. He can do everything through

Messiah who gives him strength.

2. No, our ambition in life is to love Yah with all our heart soul and mind.

3. It is necessary for us to die to self and trust Yah that He will not give us anything that we can't handle. He will give us the strength to endure when we need to abase and to be grateful to Him when we need to abound.

Shalom

FAITH