JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Kingdom and Will

Q2. In what sense are we asking that the Father's kingdom should come?

-Wow, in praying "Thy kingdom come," I'm asking for God to perfect Himself in me. The next question I have to ask myself is "Am I ready for God's perfecting....Am I ready to change?" How would I respond if I had gone through Katrina? Would people see Christ in me? There should be an urgency, too, in praying this knowing that we're praying for the soon return of Christ.

Why are we asking for the Father's will to be done here on earth? We're asking this so that the whole world would see the Father.

How should this prayer affect our living? The Scripture says, "He must increase, and I must decrease." In praying this I think those around me should see less of me and more of the Father.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what sense are we asking that the Father's kingdom should come?

I think we are asking for the Lord to return as soon as possible. But in the mean time to be Christ-like showing the fruits of the Spirit and having the power and glory, so that, we people see us they want what we have.

Why are we asking for the Father's will to be done here on earth?

I think God wants to know if we are in agreement with His will. That we are committed to whatever plans God has for us on earth. Now that I think about it, where else would the Father's will be done, if not on earth?

How should this prayer affect our lives?

This prayer should affect out lives because we are putting God's plans above our own; and once we come to that realization great blessings shall follow.

We are asking God to manifest the power and glory of his kingdom in us, and throughout our world. We are praying that Christ might reign over all. We are also asking the Father to hasten the return of Jesus Christ to this earth. Amen!

It is for the father

Jesus said that the kingdom of God is not meat and drink but Joy and peace in the Holy Ghost.He also said that the kingdom of God is at hand.

A man cannot see or enter the kingdom of God unless he is born again.

Praying for God's kingdom to come is not limited to some coming event but for now.

I am absolutely confident that his kingdom is all around and about us now.So in praying this my expectation would be for people to look beyond what they can see and allow God's rulership in our lives to be as though we have been placed in heaven.

His will be done reminds me of the scripture that we have before us blessing and cursing,life and death;God's will is that we would choose life.

so praying for his will to be done iis not a request for his intervention.

It is a request for the aid and leadership of the Holy Spirit and our submission to his leading in order that the choice we make be the will of God. :rolleyes:

Our prayer asking that the Father's kingdom should is come, is a reference to God's spiritual reign.God's kingdom was announced in the covenant with Abraham,and is present in Christ's reign in believers' hearts.We ask Him for His will to be done here on earth, because we are praying for God's perfect purpose be accomplished.It should effect our living by trusting God and having faith in what we have asked for,believing that God will do what is best for us,even though it may not be what we want.God is a loving God,so we must live one day at a time, depending on God and not be consumed with worry.

First of all, this makes us conscious of God's kingdom. We ask for His will to be done here on earth because this is the example Christ gave us. This helps pull us into oneness with God. We now share the same goals and future. God's Spirit guides and equips us to assist God in working towards our goals which are His goals. All for One, and one for all.

Q2. In what sense are we asking that the Father's kingdom should come? Why are we asking for the Father's will to be done here on earth? How should this prayer affect our living?

I realized a while back that the most powerful part of prayer (at least from the human perspective) is really "petition." We're told "ask and you shall receive" and it's easy to take that promise at face value and go along praying for health, wealth, and happiness or whatever. But it doesn't really work like that: the promise is more accurately "ask for something that's in the will of God and you shall receive." So ideally when you pray, you should be praying for things that are in God's will.

The catch is that there are very few things we can be absolutely certain are in the will of God. Makes it real difficult to know what to pray for and how it feels to be praying in the will of God. So what's important about "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done" is that it consists entirely of things that we're absolutlely certain are God's will. There is absolutely no doubt whatesoever that God's intention is that His kingdom will come. No doubt that His will will be done. Even if we don't understand the details of God's will the way we understand more concrete things, when we pray this prayer we are 100% in synch with God.

I know this is skipping ahead, but I think I'd be willing to say the same thing about the rest of the Lord's Prayer as well. "Give us this day our daily bread" is a statement of complete reliance on God for sustenance of all kinds -- definitely God's will. Ditto for forgiveness both for ourselves and from us towards others. Reciting this prayer ought to be one of the most ecstatic things one can do, but unfortunately most of the time people rise once a week, recite the words when they're told, then sit back down and go on to the next thing in the service.

I mentioned in passing above that we probably understand "more concrete things" better than we understand the will of God. Asking for help paying the rent or healing for a parent does seem pretty concrete. But I've found that it's not really concrete at all. God's will may be that His idea of "help paying the rent" means that you're going to have to move to a less expensive place. God's idea of healing for your parent may be to bring him/her home quickly. Yes, our prayer was answered, but we have to be entirely ready to notice the answer and recognize it as a blessing even when it's nothing like what we expected. And my experience has been that most of the time it will be nothing like what we expected.

So it doesn't really matter whether we understand what sense we're asking the Father's kingdom to come or exactly what it means for His will to be done here on earth. The point is to ask and to know that when you DO ask you are absolutely in sync with God's will and there is no doubt that what you ask will come to be.

The catch is that there are very few things we can be absolutely certain are in the will of God. Makes it real difficult to know what to pray for and how it feels to be praying in the will of God.

We can know much about the will of God by reading and studying the Bible. It's, also, good to pray scripture. I, especially, like to pray the Psalms. You can adapt them to your special circumstance.

In Christ, SAM

Q2. In what sense are we asking that the Father's kingdom should come?

I believe we are asking that the Father's kingdom should come through the return of Jesus to rule and reign on the earth, but also that the kingdom should be shown to others throughout the world through us. After all, through Jesus living in us, we have the kingdom of God living in us to show to others through love and through His glory and grace.

The Father's will is perfect and good and we know if His will is done here on earth then amazing things will happen. Our will is definitely not always in tune with His will so we need to pray for His will on the earth!

How should this prayer affect our living?

We should live with an awareness of His kingdom and His will and what our part is in bringing His kingdom to others around us. If I were to constantly meditate on God and His kingdom how differently I would live day by day!

Your kingdom come," we are asking God to manifest the power and glory of his kingdom in us, and throughout our world. What a prayer! We are praying that Christ might reign over all. We are also asking the Father to hasten the return of Jesus Christ to this earth. Amen!

When we pray "Your kingdom come" we are asking Him to manifest Jesus through us - by doing the things that Jesus did - in His name - that Christ might reign over all. It is not us, but Christ in us. We are asking Him to hasten the return of Jesus to this earth so that His kingdom will come fully and completely, no more pain, no more tears, no more suffering, no more sorrow.

So many times I want to step in and have "my will be done" instead of seeking God's will. His timing is not my timing and His ways are not my ways. If I seek His will through prayer and through understanding His Word, then I can pray according to His will.

This prayer should affect our living by helping us to rely fully on Him and learning to trust Him in the most difficult of circumstances.

When we ask the Father to let his kingdom come, and if we are not living according to his will, we are asking to clean this earth if in mean removing because I may be the one that is corrrupting it. For God's will to be done on earth sin will have to be done away with. when the world realize what this prayer is saying we will have more peace and a lot less sin.

If we keep in our daily prayers the yearning for God's Kingdom to come, we inadvertendly escape from temptations to sin as we wait in pure longing for the coming of Jesus. I've always wandered why we ought to repeat this every day. Now I know that its not so we ought to remind God to come...but to remind ourselves to be ready for Him

Our primary concern is to be longing for the Kingdom of God and the return of Jesus. Like it or not this world is only temporary. Rev. 21:1 "Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone." I have a very hard time living in the world that surrounds me as if it were not here, but that is what God is asking us to do.

The difficulty stems from what is all around me, it is preached from the pulpit, advertised from the the church buildings, and lived by the church goers; "the things that are temporary are of all importance."

A pastor friend of mine was commenting about the lack of security at the church. I asked him this question, "When has what is inside the building that we need to save t of more value than what we have to give away.?"

When has God's will become equal to that of the "American Dream?"Solomon had the American dream and realized that without God it was vanity "ALL IS VANITY". We know what God's will is, Jesus spoke about it, and lived it. God's will and work is that all come to know Him as Lord and Savior. The Savior part is the easy and most acceptable part of His will, it is the lordship part that is hard. To give the rule of life over completely to God in this world is like heading down the freeway at 70 miles per hour and then getting in the back seat and saying "Here God, you drive." It is kind of scary. But then so are some of the rides at the amusement park.

Darrell

When we pray "Thy Kingdom Come", we are putting God first. We are asking God for His presence in us and around us.

Lord allow us to decrease that You may get the increase, let "Thy Will Be Done" on earth as it is in heaven. Let Your Holy Spirit come forth and direct our lives Lord as You see fit.

And now we should be living with expectation. Our thoughts, the way we live is in expectation of Jesus' return. What a glorious day that will be. AMEN

- We are asking that the Earth should finaly be part of God's kingdom with the return of Jesus and when God renews all, and that we be filled with God's Holy Spirit and our being becomes the temple of God.

- That we first seek the will of God in our lives and not the earthly things, as God already knows what we need without asking.

- Live for God and be holy, forgive others and love one another.

Q2. In what sense are we asking that the Father's kingdom should come? Why are we asking for the Father's will to be done here on earth? How should this prayer affect our living?

We are asking him to come and make it in us like it is in Heavan. With all of his glory shining through us. :rolleyes:

We should always pray for his will to be done in us. Cause he wants what is best for us. Sometimes we ask for things he knows we really don't need. :)

How should this prayer affect our living?

It should draw us closer to him. Should draw out the best in us. And move us away from the things that hold us back. :rolleyes:

In what sense are we asking that the Father's kingdom should come? Why are we asking for the Father's will to be done here on earth? How should this prayer affect our living?

When Gods kingdom comes to earth - Christ will have returned - which is what we are all living for and waiting for. Asking for God's will to be done also shows our desire to do what God wants us to do and to acept what God does for us even when we may not agree with it. We shoild be iving lives that reflect our love for God and our hope and desire for His return.

We are asking that He comes and dwells within us. we are asking His will to be done here on earth because His will is done in Heaven and just as it is in heaven we should want it to be here on this earth.

This prayer should affect our living by not being selfish and praying to God for what we want or need all the time but to be considerate of God's will for our lives and to consider others. To put others needs before our own.

We're asking in our daily contact with others, through conversation or actions to others who don't know the joys of christian living or how life should be lived in a way thats pleasing to God. Daily inter-action praying for the sick (there's none in Heaven)

So those without hope may see what God call's life, and that abundantly not the daily grind or rat race. Waking up singing or waking up excited about today. Rather than what are the day's head lines.

Looking for an opportunity to show off "Thy Kingdom" letting Heaven touch earth one day at a time, through us. Giving the hopeless hope.