JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Regarding this question if I am incorrect please let me know. The understanding I have is that Jewish custom a natural son could be disinherited from the family but if one was adopted into the family regardless of what they do,(sin wise), they could never be disinherited from the family

If this is the case, this illustration of adoption into God's family is eternally ongoing.

Yes, we still are sinners, we still are children of God. The fellowship may be broken but the realtionship can never be changed.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Ephesians 1:5-6) Why is adoption a particularly apt illustration of God's relationship to us? Why is the concept of adoption encouraging to us?

When you are adopted, you are chosen by the adoptive parents. They have a desire to have a child and you are the one that they desire to love, care for, protect, guide, teach, provide for. Too ofen, children are born into families were they are not really wanted and they are neglected and abused. Adoption isn't by accident it is a conscience decision on the part of the parents.

It is encouraging to me because God desired me!!! God didn't have to chose me, but He desired me! God knew even before I was born that I would accept Him and love Him and He wanted me to be His child. As my Father in Heaven, God wants the best for me. He wants to protect me, love me, guide me, teach me, provide for me, help me. God wants me to live with Him for all eternity. God wanted me to be a part of His family, to share in His goodness. God didn't have to do that, He wanted to.

I must admit I am having a little trouble with this question...this is why...

In Psalm 82.6 "I said 'You are sons of the Most High.' But you will die like mere men; you will fall like every other ruler."

this comes from Exodus 9:16 on what God instructs Moses to tell Pharoah

"But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth."

God has raised them up too..and Jesus says in John 10:34

"Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, I have said you are gods? If he called them 'gods', to whom the word of God came-and the Scripture cannot be broken-what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world?...that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I in the Father."

This was to answer them when when he claims God as his father.

So this is what I am seeing...adoption as sons...through Jesus Christ...that makes us different.

John 15:4a "Remain in me, and I will remain in you."

This son, Jesus Christ is different...there is a direct link to the Father and through him, we have a direct link to God through the son of the Most High, Jesus Christ, by adoption. By grace.

Of course this is all so much bigger than I can comprehend.

I'm not even sure if I am getting this right??

Hi. I'm not sure if this will get us too far off topic, but I don't see the connection between Psalm 82 and Exodus .

As I read Psalm 82, I see that it is a Psalm of God's judgement coming agains His OWN people. Note verse 1 -- God takes His stand in His own congregation." This must refer to the Jewish people, who are being chastised for not ruling His people wil fairness and justice. In that case, they are 'sons of the Most High' in that the Jewish nation is God's chosen people.

We, however, are truly sons of God by adoption -- because of our salvation in Christ. Being chosen especially by God and given a place of privilege. It is an unfathomable truth -- that the God who created the universe chose each of us who are His before the foundation of the world. Amazing, amazing grace, isn't it

Q4. (Ephesians 1:5-6) Why is adoption a particularly apt illustration of God's relationship to us? Why is the concept of adoption encouraging to us?

Why is adoption a particularly apt illustration of God's relationship to us?

When you are adopted you are chosen. And for him to adopt us he chose to have a relationsip with him.

Why is the concept of adoption encouraging to us?

To know we were chosen by him berfore we were ever born is a good feeling. To know that he loved us before we could ever know him enough to love him and have a relationsip with him. I love him so much for wanting me to be a part of him. :rolleyes:

GOD has only had one true child - His only begotten son, Jesus. Because of this, the only way to be legitimately added to His family is to be adopted.

God wants all of us to turn to Him in faith and call Him Father. For those who do - those who truly are children of GOD - we can be encouraged because now our family ancestry is holy. My saviour is, in effect, also my brother. As His child, I can experience His love, grace, and mercy instead of His wrath. When I experience hard times, I know I am being shaped and disciplined by a loving Father.

:o God has created this immensly intelligent and intricate human being, in HIS very image, not for joy as toy. He did not intend to do away with human being, after HE breathed HIS very breath(spirit) into him. Even after human race committed sin and acquired sinful nature, God wanted to reconcile us to HIM, not only reconcile, made us holy through HIS SON to the extent of adopting us as HIS children. THAT IS GOD, WHO IS LOVE

God created our parents, Adam and Eve, Jesus is God's only begotten Son, we are part of that spiritual family and for us to truly belong since our parents died, God adopted each and every one of us so we would not be without a parent and we would have Jesus Christ as our Brother. This completes the spiritual family. It's encouraging because we will never be without a parent, in other words, we will never be . No matter what, we will always be able to turn to him, talk to him about anything. No human can grant blessings, no human has the power of resurrecting the dead and most of all God loves us no matter who we are, what we are, and God can't lie. No matter what God says, you know that it is the truth. You can't say that about humans, some will lie just to get what they want and some will lie just so they won't hurt your feelings but regardless a lie is a lie........there's no good lie and with God.......it is always the truth.

We were born naturally to one set of parents into a hopeless situation. We were then chosen by God Himself to become His children, and part of His family. This can never be revoked. It is wonderful comfort and encouragement to me just to realize this. He gives me tangible evidence of being part of His family by giving me loving sisters and brothers in Christ here on earth.

Well, we can't all be born like Jesus, who IS GOD'S ONLY SON, but as adopted children, (which by the way, I am totally ok with) we receive all the benefits of sonship, being part of the family of God, being guided, disciplined, chosen. Like he came to the orphanage and hand picked us knowing we would respond to him at some point in our lives. I am very thankful GOD IS WHO HE IS.

I wonder sometimes why someone would not choose adoption if they could not have "their own blood" child. If you want to be a parent, and have love to give to a child, why wouldn't you adopt? I feel that is how God feels about us. We can't all be Jesus. But thank you GOD for loving me enough to adopt me. We think of troubled kids in foster homes, that nobody wants to adopt because they are not "perfect kids", they have a ton of problems. But really, isn't that how we are before God? And He adopts us anyway, in all our unattractiveness (to put mildly).

God's relationship with us is that of love. He so loved us while we were yet sinners by sending His Dear Son Jesus Christ to die in our place. We were meant for eternal death but were reconciled to God through Christ. We were enemies of God because of our sins but are now children sharing inheritance with the Lord Jesus.

Adoption is encouraging to us becacause it is by grace that we have been chosen and adopted as children of God. Even in our lowest level we have been raised (promoted) to be joint heirs with Christ the original son of God.

God's adoption is an illistration to us because it shows how He loves and accepts all of us. It is encouraging to me because I don't have a relationship with my earthly family, this may sound a little off but another scripture that comes into mind regarding adoption is psalm 27:10 and it gives me comfort everyday know that even though my earthly mother and father forsaked me, God didn't.

Adoption is one of my passions! I am an adoptive mother and I love to sit in awe of what God has placed in my life. When I try to think about how much I love my son, although I did not give birth to him, it boggles my mind! How much more does the Heavenly Father love ME whom he adopted?!!! The doctors thought that when my son was born he had Down Syndrome and we chose to be his parents anyway (even though he wasn't "perfect" in the world's eyes)!! (It was discovered later that he in fact does not have DS). How comforting it is to know that with all of my imperfections (sin) that God has still chosen me!!! He is my Father...Abba...Daddy!!! :D

I have a couple of friends who adopted a child after a few years of being unable to conceive. They now consider all the difficulty and hardship and heartache of infertility to be a blessing, because without them they would not now have this lovely little girl. And who knows what her circumstances in this life would have been had they not adopted her? Probably not very good, and maybe terrible.

I thank God that he considered adopting us to be worth the immeasurably greater hardship and heartache he endured to make it possible. Both the Father and the Son suffered terrible heartache and sacrifice to adopt us. It's so special because it makes you realize how highly he values us.

I believe He wants us to know this more than anything. Although it's important to understand the reality of the fact that we don't deserve it, I think we sometimes get hung up on that part and don't go any farther. God does not want us sitting around repeating "I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy!" I think He would rather have us walking around in an incredulous daze saying, "I'm loved. I'm loved!"

_

I completely agree David! When we say "I'm not worthy" we stay in our sinner mentality. Rather we should rejoice in that we are loved and children of the Most High God!!!

I believe He wants us to know this more than anything. Although it's important to understand the reality of the fact that we don't deserve it, I think we sometimes get hung up on that part and don't go any farther. God does not want us sitting around repeating "I'm not worthy. I'm not worthy!" I think He would rather have us walking around in an incredulous daze saying, "I'm loved. I'm loved!"

_

Adoption is something that is precious and it shows the very essence of who God and Jesus are to others in the world.We were born into a world of darkness and sin but when we decided to accept the precious gift of salvation,we become the child of God.Jesus died so we can be able to have the opportunity to do the great things that he wants for us.The illustration of when we adopted a child because we cannot have babies or just because we have compassion for what is happening in the world shows God's love through us and that when we do come to love and have that beautiful salvation is us being adopted into eternity with God.

When a parent adopts a child or a person aadopts a pet, that person or animal becomes

a part of the family. Being part of the family exposes them to the traditions, resources and love of the family.

Gods adopts us when we strive to develop a personal realtionship with him and repent and are baptized.

This is encouraging because my sins are wiped away and God is almighty. His love is forever and is allows

showing me how much he loves me.

To be adopted is to be given full rights...before, I could not have rightstanding with God..but God in his compassion to us, sent jesus that we could once again have rightstanding...I guess one could say reconcilliation...where sin seperated us from God..through Jesus, we are once again grafted on to the vine...It is encouraging to know the compassion and mercy of God towards me...

1. God's thoughts are higher than our thoughts and His ways than our ways. When we think of adoption we may generally think about a small child be adopted into a family. The child most generally has no choice in the matter.

God had already intended for us to be adopted into the family of God in eternity past for "God so loved the world". This was not an after thought God had when things seemed to go in the wrong direction. He already knew before the creation of anything what He intended to do and what He intends to do He does.

All humans all given a choice as to whether they want to become a member of the family of God or not. No one is adopted by force or against their will however God already knew those who would receive His love and mercy and by faith and through the grace of our Lord Jessus Christ be accepted as adoptees into God's family. Wow! Halleluia!

2. In personallizing the concept of be adopted into God's family I become a partaker of all He offers. I have become a joint heir, hello; I have inherited all the blessings of God He gave to His Son Jesus and share in those blessings with Him. Nothing has been kept from me. All that I received brings glory to God. Since glory means to make bigger I make God bigger in my life, family, church and community when I feast upon the many blessings I have already received. I also have received the fruit of the Spirit through the adoption. To learn how to "love, experience great joy, Have the peace which passes all understanding, understand long suffering toward others, be kind, offer goodness, excerise faithfulness, show meekness and self control. All of this makes me want to live more and more for Jesus. He is the Highlite of my life. Praise His Holy name.

Bro. Ed

If we look up to God as our God, believe in Him, love Him and follow Him, then it is only right that we be called adopted sons/daughters of God This is just the relationship, He being the Father and creator of all, after all.

This is very encouraging because, then, we are assured of His promise of eternal and blissful life with Him in the final end of earthly living. If are assured that just like a Father, He is always there, ready to welcome us after sinning or being away from Him for long. This spells security in short, and there is no other better thought indeed than to think that somebody, somewhere is always tying to love us despite our many faults and mistakes, deliberate or not.

The reality is we were slaves to Satan and to our sins, until JC died for us and purchased us from slavery by His blood, set us free then made us His brothers. We areno longer slaves but sons and daughters. The slave has no inheritance right , only the son. It not until we believe that God is our father and know our right of inherting the kingdom of heaven that we can actually receive it.

Under the Romans Law , an adopted child was quaranteed all legal rights to his father's property, even if he was formerly a slave.

we are no longer like " fearful slaves" , instead , we are Master's children . What a privilege ! Because we are God's children , we share in great treasures as co-heis . God Has already given us His best gifts: His son, His Holy Spirit , forgiveness , and eternal life; and He encourages us to ask Him for whatever we need.

Adoption gives us exactly the same status and rights as a natural child. There are no distinctions. As an adopted child, I am a full member of God's family. It is absolutely thrilling that I can be granted this privelege and it is a testament to God's love that this is possible through the death and resurrection of His Son. Having received this grace, it gives me enormous comfort and encouragement to walk with God through my life. It is a great assurance: I am family. That cannot be taken away.

Adoption is a good example of God's relationship with us because it shows that God found us and chose us when we were lost and alone. Adoption is encouraging because it means we were chosen out of love, want, and desire. It's also encouraging because anyone can be adopted into His family!

Q4. (Ephesians 1:5-6) Why is adoption a particularly apt illustration of God's relationship with us? Why is the concept of adoption encouraging to us?

One is adopted as a child by parents that want to love and care for a child. So adoption shows unconditional love. this is so incourafng to us to know we are loved by Our Father Who Art in Heaven to adopt us as sons and daughters in His family.

The act of adoption removes us from our biological family - the family of sin (which we were born into because of the work of the first Adam). And then, because of the work of the 2nd Adam - Christ, we are chosen and placed into the family of God. In our first family the devil is our "father", but in our new adoptive family God is our Father.

When we are placed in this new family, our past is erased and we are endowed with all the benefits and blessing that go with our position (again, IN CHRIST). We are totally undeserving in the adoption.

Adoption is another part of the mystery of the kingdom that we cannot fully understand with our minds. We must simply accept this as a free gift and receive it by faitThis has to bring us to our knees in an attitude of Praise and Worship. Just to know that there is nothing I can or cannot do that affects the act of adoption is awe inspiring to me. Again, the love of the Father toward me is incomprehendable!!