JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Darkness and Light

What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong?

Eternity in hell

How does this involve self-deception?

You may say God will forgive me but what you are doing is making a idol God. You are deceiving your self by saying I can do what I want and God will for give me. That is not the God of the bible

What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light?

The blood of Jesus cleanse our every sin

How do we get back into the light if we sin?

Repent

hi Ron2,

i have to disagree with your answer "Eternity in hell" whenever a Christian walks in darkness.

by definition, a Christian is one who had been sealed with the HOLY SPIRIT. In this age of grace, God does not lightly give His Spirit and then take Him away whenever we falter in sin... and we will many times! i know i have! and many times that i have, it feels like the Holy Spirit have retreated from me because i have grieved HIM. what i... we lose when we continue in sin is our JOY of SALVATION. but GOD will never take away the seal of our salvation.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When a Christian walks in darkness they disobey God, particularly if they know what they are doing is wrong. God is not the focus, the reason, the joy of living, so life typically becomes too hard and messy. We know in our hearts that it's wrong and shame steps in opening a door for the Devil to torment us.

When we walk in the light, we fellowship with other Christians, and the blood of Jesus cleanses us from our sin. We need to confess our sin honestly before God and he will forgive us and cleanse us and let us get up and try again. Life is soooo much better with God!!!

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

A Christian who walks in darkness and continues to do what he/she knows to be wrong is not walking in the light and the truth is not in him/her.

By continuing doing what he/she knows is wrong, makes him out to be a liar and God will not forgive him his sin. God gave us a free choice, to walk with Him, or to go our own way. We get back into the light by honestly and truthfully asking God to forgive us our sin, and not doing that again.

hi Ron2,

i have to disagree with your answer "Eternity in hell" whenever a Christian walks in darkness.

by definition, a Christian is one who had been sealed with the HOLY SPIRIT. In this age of grace, God does not lightly give His Spirit and then take Him away whenever we falter in sin... and we will many times! i know i have! and many times that i have, it feels like the Holy Spirit have retreated from me because i have grieved HIM. what i... we lose when we continue in sin is our JOY of SALVATION. but GOD will never take away the seal of our salvation.

Hi Johann

I only became a Christian in 2005, praise God, after in the world for 40 years and more. I may not be as verse with the scriptures as others and hence so far I am not convinced that a Christian cannot fall back into the trapping of the enemy (satan)- turn away from Christ. Thus I agree with Ron 2 about "eternity in hell" since there are some scriptures that seem to point in us that direction.

However the focus should always be on walking in the Light and having our saviour to turn to in times of crisis. The Holy Sprit always nug us in the correct direction .

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? The result is rebellion toward God and His Word. -- Not a good place to "walk"...darkness makes you stumble...

How does this involve self-deception? Self-deception allows for the enemy to lie to you and tell you that evil is good...and good is evil. It is really a matter of the heart and the self-indulgent **** of the flesh, the **** of the eyes, and the pride of life.

What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? We have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from every sin.

How do we get back into the light if we sin? Repent before God...seek and receive His forgiveness...receive the Blood of Jesus, get clean, and walk on -- focused on Him.

If we walk In the darkness we do nor partake with Him.

self-deception > you are lying to yourself justifying what you know is not right.

when we walk in the light?> we have fellowship with one another.

How do we get back into the light if we sin > recognize your wrong doing to yourself and God (confess, homologeō), ask God for your deliverance from any strongholds from that sin.

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

I believe that in our daily walk with our Lord and Savior we need to be constantly vigilant, and on our guard against Satan and his devious ways in which he tries to lead us astray. Always remember we are living in a world where a war is waging in a dimension not seen by us and we need to be on constant alert to this fact, without the light of God we walk into this realm in darkness and become easy prey to him who seeks to devour us like a hungry lion.

When we fall into this state of lies and deception, we need to confess our sins and let the light of the lord lead us through times of persecution and trouble.Stay focused in the word of God Jhn 3:20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

A Christian who walks in darkness has broken fellowship with Jesus. Jesus is ready to welcome that person back in the fold. This is the joyful news but the sad part is the longer fellowship is broken the more difficult it becomes to confess. One can easily deceive himself by denying what is being done is wrong acoording to God's Word. When we walk in the light and ask forgiveness, Jesus is always ready to forgive and give us the peace and joy we so desperately want.

A Christian who deliberately walks in darkness rejects God's light and rebels against God. The self-deception seems to be to do what feels good at this present moment. It's as if a moment of insanity takes place and we think we can get away with our choice. We don't give thought to what happens when the Light shines on what we have done. (Actually we really don't believe in the Light). We live for the moment.

Dr. Chafer (according to J Vernon McGee) used to say: "Secret sins down here is open scandal in heaven." Oh dear no wonder we try so many psychiatrists which is like getting a placebo when we could go to God and feel the wonder of His forgiving and loving heart if we are only willing to humble ourselves before His mighty hand and receive the forgiveness that is ours in Christ Jesus.

Been there, done that!! Just give me Jesus!!

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

I don't think you can be a christian and live in sin, I claimed to be a christian in my early years yet lived as a sinner doing anything that felt good. Like John said I was only decieving myself. Till we become honest with ourself and the Holy Spirit then we can't overcomeour struggle we must admit our faults and ask the Holy Spirit to help by giving us strenght to over come them. Then we must be willing to be honest with other so that they can help by being our support system keeping us in prayer and seeking to keep us honest with our selves.

Isn't it interesting that 1 John starts with and ends with the same message? I think there are 2 key words in verse 6. "If we "claim" to have "fellowship" with Him yet walk in darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. Then, at the end of 1 John, verse 18 says, "We know that anyone born of God, does not continue to sin; the one who was born of God keeps him safe and the evil one can not harm him." Verse 19 goes on to say we are children of God, yet the whole world is under control of the evil one. It says we also know that the Son of God has come and given us understanding so we know Him who is true.

It's very important to understand, that those true Christians who are led and counseled by the Holy Spirit and are in close fellowship with God have a deep desire to not sin. They seek change and though that is not easy, they really desire to die to self. Christians who are actively walking in darkness are either new Christians who are growing into seeing who Jesus is or they are Christians who have lost a seeking fellowship with God and have allowed satan to deceive them. They are living by worldly standards and have come to think by some reasoning in their minds, that it is OK. If they don't seek God, they are no longer seeking the truth. God gives us understanding. Not people, not churches, not authors nor the million ways of earthly knowledge. Knowledge has such a premium on it today that many are led astray by all kinds of false teachings, but we are to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ and that is through the Holy Spirit who is with us now. Of course, we are all learning and there are ways we all sin. We can not say we don't, but there is a difference I think in sinning and learning about ourselves and having sincere repentance of what we discover as we come into the light about it, verses knowing what is sin and recklessly repeating it, justifing our actions one way or another. God is there to help us if we really desire His help to not sin. Even in gripping addictions. I do know that first hand! If we know we are His and He loves us.....we don't doubt His help to be free of any sin.

Although this is an incredible lesson to reexamine our personal walks in faith,to we must be careful not to lose that fellowship and grace that Jesus so aptly displayed. With this verse it becomes very easy point out people around us that aren't living "In the Light." I easily forget that each and every one of us struggle to live "like a Christian" every day. But I am joyfully reminded that those are the people who Jesus has such tender compassion and companionship with. I work in a shelter with people who are addicts, prostitutes, alcoholics ect. ect. and I often find that they have incredible faith. They recongized that they are blessed because they woke up. They praise God because they went one night without a drink. I'm amazed at how they have increased my faith and my joyfulness because they realize God's grace. They demonstrate openness and honesty when it comes to sin and celebrate the "little victories."

I have been "churched" all my life. Good parents, pastors and leaders have taught me not to surround myself with "bad company" in fear that their darkness and sinfulness may rub off on me. But when I look to Jesus, his friends tended to be what society called the worst of the worst, tax collectors, prostitutes, adulterers, lepers and the list goes on and on. Jesus constantly butted heads with the people that called them "unclean." He told them first to look at themselves, perfect themselves before they judge another. Let us not be like the Pharisees or the Saducees. Let us use this lesson as an opportunity and a blessing to realize that we need to remove our own masks and be open and honest about how we are living in order to allow the Spirit to move in ourselves that we may become more like our beloved. Let us also remember to constantly look for the poverty of others that we may lift them up in loving fellowship and grace, out of their darkness.

What Would Jesus Do?

Should the 'I' in us decide to do as Jesus did?

When we are filled to overflowing with the Holy Spirit, whatever we do is His.

Lay 'I' on the altar, and just walk in the Light. If your brother also put 'I' on the altar, if 'I' died with Jesus on the cross, then we have fellowship with each other. Then whatever we talk about is discussed in that Light.

What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong?

There are barriers in his/her relationship with God first, but also, sin causes barriers in our relationships with others. The longer we walk in the darkness, willfully sinning, the more "lost" we get. We deny what's really the truth in efforts to cover up our sin. We commit other sins that branch off the original one. We begin to rely on ourselves and our own judgment (which is flawed), rather than on God's wisdom.

We think we've got things under control. We deny that our "one little sin" can make an impact on our relationship w God and/or others. Because we're "in the dark," we don't see correctly. We have only the perspective of what we can personally feel. We lose God's perspective on our lives and the events in it and how our sin affects those around us.

We have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus purifies us from all sin. Relationships are healed. Jesus cleanses us, gives us a new start.

Acknowledge we have sinned, confess it to God, but also, when a relationship has been damaged, we need to confess our sins to anyone affected by our sin, admitting our wrongdoing and asking for forgiveness from the person(s). We need to let Jesus do his work in us; let His Spirit be our Guide. He is our Light by which we can see what is good and right and true. We need to turn away from the sin that put us in the dark (repent), and pray for God to keep us from falling, relying on His strength and promises in order to have victory.

I would say that that person is putting themself above the law. If one willfully does wrong and knows it to be wrong then they would be mocking God, saying that all He says is not real or true. They could be very close to APOSTASY! If one is walking in the dark satan loves that and fills that person with lies. One begins to believe in those lies. When we walk in the light we have fellowship with other believers and the blood of Jesus cleanses us from our sins. We bow our heads and come to the Lord in deep earnest prayer, humbling ourselves to Him, surrendering and confessing all to Him. We REPENT, seeking His forgivness and His mercy. B)

Life is about choices. All our choices have consequences. God set before us life or death. When we willfully walk in darkness we are truly headed for trouble. We deceive self when we think we can continue this behavior and all is well. There is a way back into the light when we sin and that is Jesus. If we truly repent and ask for forgiveness, God is just to forgive us and cleanse us of all unrighteousness.

When a Christian walks in darkness, choosing sin, it is questionable whether they're really a Christian.

If that person continues in sin, making excuses why he or she is choosing sin--if they think they're a Christian--then they're self-deceived.

If we walk (live our daily life) in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with God & each other & His blood purifies us from every sin.

If we sin, we confess & He is faithful & just to forgive us our sins & purify us from all unrighteousness. We need to daily confess. (maybe even hourly, sometimes......)

When a believer continues walls in sin and know they are sinning, their effectiveness for the Lord is seriously hindered, and risk losing any rewards that the Lord has for them.

However as previoused stated there are situations in our lives where we battle with drinking, or whatever addiction that takes time to move forward from.

Each one of us have issues that we are personally dealing with, and the only way we overcome those issues is with the love and patiences of the Lord. No one's journey as a Christian is the same, and at times we fall more than we stand, but yet in and through it all, God's grace abounds. He remembers that we are dust, and have feet of clay.

Hi Johann

I only became a Christian in 2005, praise God, after in the world for 40 years and more. I may not be as verse with the scriptures as others and hence so far I am not convinced that a Christian cannot fall back into the trapping of the enemy (satan)- turn away from Christ. Thus I agree with Ron 2 about "eternity in hell" since there are some scriptures that seem to point in us that direction.

However the focus should always be on walking in the Light and having our saviour to turn to in times of crisis. The Holy Sprit always nug us in the correct direction .

The point that i was trying to make was that anyone who ends up in eternity in hell was never sealed in the HOLY SPIRIT.

Although this is an incredible lesson to reexamine our personal walks in faith,to we must be careful not to lose that fellowship and grace that Jesus so aptly displayed. With this verse it becomes very easy point out people around us that aren't living "In the Light." I easily forget that each and every one of us struggle to live "like a Christian" every day. But I am joyfully reminded that those are the people who Jesus has such tender compassion and companionship with. I work in a shelter with people who are addicts, prostitutes, alcoholics ect. ect. and I often find that they have incredible faith. They recongized that they are blessed because they woke up. They praise God because they went one night without a drink. I'm amazed at how they have increased my faith and my joyfulness because they realize God's grace. They demonstrate openness and honesty when it comes to sin and celebrate the "little victories."

I have been "churched" all my life. Good parents, pastors and leaders have taught me not to surround myself with "bad company" in fear that their darkness and sinfulness may rub off on me. But when I look to Jesus, his friends tended to be what society called the worst of the worst, tax collectors, prostitutes, adulterers, lepers and the list goes on and on. Jesus constantly butted heads with the people that called them "unclean." He told them first to look at themselves, perfect themselves before they judge another. Let us not be like the Pharisees or the Saducees. Let us use this lesson as an opportunity and a blessing to realize that we need to remove our own masks and be open and honest about how we are living in order to allow the Spirit to move in ourselves that we may become more like our beloved. Let us also remember to constantly look for the poverty of others that we may lift them up in loving fellowship and grace, out of their darkness.

It lifted my spirit to read what you wrote. I was getting very depressed after reading through what everyone was writing. I was feeling that this isn't the Lord that I know. He was there with me when I stuggled with addiction. He didn't leave me and turn his back on me. He was right there with me through it all. I was a Christian before it happened. Yes, it was a sin that first night, but after that addiction took over immediately. I was never myself after that very first night. It took 9 years before the Lord removed the the constant craving I lived with day after day, moment to moment. And believe it or not, I maintained a sensitive spirit while I was actively using. The Holy Spirit still worked in my life convicting me of sin. My spirit wasn't dead nor did I cease to pray. I wasn't a kid, I was 37 and had never been a drug user. Given most of your comments I know what you think, but I'm not deceiving myself. I belonged to him before it happened and I belong to him now. He was with me through it all. I know this much is true, he is faithful, when a sheep wanders he goes out and gets it and brings it back. He forgives, he keeps and he loves his own. Praise the Lord!

When a christian walks in darkness knowingly, that person is at that time against God at that time,if that individual were to die during this time they would be separated from God for eternity.

We must sincerely confess and repent of our sin to Jesus Christ , Jesus is our intercessor before God for us and has already payed the price for our sin with His live.

We do not have true fellowship with him and do not live by the truth

God is light, in him there is no darkness at all, and so if we walk in the darkness but claim to have fellowship with him, we deceive ourselves

We have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus purify us from all sin

Come to God and confess our sins

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong?

- the person is a defeated Christian choking off Christ's new life in him/her.

- the person becomes complacent with sins and so living a life like the Gentiles instead of God's holy people

- By self-justification saying that his/her life is still ok and in tune with God's will

What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

- Deliberately choosing to walk in the light pull us away from darkness and Christ's blood continues to purify us to live a holy life

- Sinfulness could only be dealt with by Jesus' blood and we need to confess our sins immediately when we know we have sinned against God and men.

If you continually willfully do the wrong thing, you will begin to think it's right and when someone calls you on it, you will find justification for your action. In order to grow in Christ, we have to be totally honest with ourselves.