JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Running Ahead

Q1. (2 John 9) What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"? What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives? What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings? Why is this so important?

Running ahead of Christ's teachings was common for false teachers trying to detur people from worhiping the true Son, Jesus Christ in his divinity.

Abide or continue reminds me to walk hand in hand with Jesus resting not running ahead of him but with him.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (2 John 9) What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"?

The Holy Spirit is our teacher, who will LEAD us into all truth, as we are able to grasp it, absorb it, understand it, then live it. To run ahead to "deeper truth's" is to no longer be following our Lord, but willfully running to and fro seeking knowledge to puff up our prideful ego, and "tickle our ears" looking for "new truth". other "than the doctrine of Christ."

What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives?

Jesus is our Shepherd, and the shepherd always goes in front of or ahead of the flock, in order to seek the best places for grazing, the most clean, still water, to avoid dangerous cliffs or poisonous weeds among the grass, etc. He is not bound by time as we are, and is already in the future. He knows where to lead us and where we are to stop and rest, and how to avoid danger too great for us. We can "run off a cliff" emotionally by running ahead, we can make foolish decisions, investments, purchases, relationships, which can lead us down harmful paths He never intended for us, with painful consequences, and delays in fulfilling our destiny.

What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings? Why is this so important?

To abide also means to live, to stay, to dwell....this says to me to let Him lead, and to stay close behind so I don't make wrong turns. He has a method for teaching and training us according to our development and maturity levels, and since He created us, He knows when to teach us what He wants us to understand and know, next. Proverbs says He is a lamp for our feet and a light unto our path....

In June He spoke to me in several parables in nature about His timing, and to rest and abide in Him....I was like a car with the engine racing, due to anxiety and stress over many things, and wasn't turning to Him for the wisdom and strength to deal with all of it....I was just pushing through each day in my own strength. I loved the parables, but neglected to act upon what He was telling me...I outran His light and stumbled along the dark path He wasn't illuminating, and I ended up completely depleted and exhausted, then sick. That was a valuable lesson for me to slow down and literally REST when He isn't moving forward. I nearly mowed Him down in my rush to "fix" everything.

Q1. (2 John 9) What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"?

The Holy Spirit is our teacher, who will LEAD us into all truth, as we are able to grasp it, absorb it, understand it, then live it. To run ahead to "deeper truth's" is to no longer be following our Lord, but willfully running to and fro seeking knowledge to puff up our prideful ego, and "tickle our ears" looking for "new truth". other "than the doctrine of Christ."

Jesus is our Shepherd, and the shepherd always goes in front of or ahead of the flock, in order to seek the best places for grazing, the most clean, still water, to avoid dangerous cliffs or poisonous weeds among the grass, etc. He is not bound by time as we are, and is already in the future. He knows where to lead us and where we are to stop and rest, and how to avoid danger too great for us. We can "run off a cliff" emotionally by running ahead, we can make foolish decisions, investments, purchases, relationships, which can lead us down harmful paths He never intended for us, with painful consequences, and delays in fulfilling our destiny.

What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings? Why is this so important?

To abide also means to live, to stay, to dwell....this says to me to let Him lead, and to stay close behind so I don't make wrong turns. He has a method for teaching and training us according to our development and maturity levels, and since He created us, He knows when to teach us what He wants us to understand and know, next. Proverbs says He is a lamp for our feet and a light unto our path....

In June He spoke to me in several parables in nature about His timing, and to rest and abide in Him....I was like a car with the engine racing, due to anxiety and stress over many things, and wasn't turning to Him for the wisdom and strength to deal with all of it....I was just pushing through each day in my own strength. I loved the parables, but neglected to act upon what He was telling me...I outran His light and stumbled along the dark path He wasn't illuminating, and I ended up completely depleted and exhausted, then sick. That was a valuable lesson for me to slow down and literally REST when He isn't moving forward. I nearly mowed Him down in my rush to "fix" everything.

I liked your account for these questions Janmary Thank you.

Q1. (2 John 9) What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"? What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives? What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings? Why is this so important?

The NLT Version puts it this way:-For if you wander beyond the teaching of Christ, you will not have fellowship with God. But if you continue in the teaching of Christ, you will have fellowship with both the Father and the Son.

This shows clearly that when you run ahead of Christ

When we run ahead of God, we get to thinking that we do not need God, that we can do things all on our own.This is a wrong attitude,as we can soon run into trouble, we can then get into wrong company, and get completely lost, we can lose Gods fellowship.

We need to keep in fellowship with Christ. He will lead us in Righteousness and truth. He will lead us through all the Pit falls of life. We can dwell with him for ever In His Love.

The danger of running ahead of the Gospel of Christ is that you pollute the original message, which is the true, saving message; the message is no longer true, so the ones that put their faith in it will be lead astray, away from the true Christ; the message is not a "deeper truth", but a lie, or a perversion of the truth. If one runs ahead of Christ's guidance, they are really not abiding by the original words He left for us to follow, and are out there, doing things on their own (the way they want to, not the way He would want us to). To abide in Christ means to stick with the teaching that He left for us to follow; this is important, because following the path He called us to take leads to Him and eternal life.

In the King James version and from the strongs Greek, the word parabaino, pronounced par-ab-ah'-ee-no is the greek word for transgresseth which means to go contrary to, i.e. violate a command:--(by) transgress(-ion). Basically one who passes over the sacred, or goes beyond the limits and does not abide in the doctrine-does not remain within these holy limits, but indulges himself either in excesses of action or passion of his or her own belief and not of the truth. This is where the problem is of running ahead of the truth. We should not make the Word more than it is.

"We are not told and we must not desire to be wise above what is written". -Matthew Henry

What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives? Getting to far ahead or even too far behind the Holy Spirit

I think that the false teachers went ahead to deeper truth because they couldnot abide by Jesus important commandment to love thier brothers. For the false prophets deeper truth is a catch all term for ignoring sins. So they made up thier own rules. The position they held in the church boosted thier ego; So they decided that Jesus wasnot Gods son; and His teaching was not good enough for them. But the word of God says; Mat 10:24 (NIV) A student is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. ... They let their egos control them and not their hearts.

Sometimes we ask God for a mate and get impatient waiting; we meet a person we think is that mate; but when we introduce he/she to our Pastor we get upset when he saids he/she is not for you. We marry the person any way; Ruuning ahead of Gods guidance puts us in a bad place; only to find out that person wasnt' for you.

Christ is the vine and we are the branches; we cannot bear fruit unless we abide in Him. This is very important because we must stay attached to the vine. In others words, we must continue to study Jesus teaching and stay away from false prophets in order to bear fruit.

Patricia

The danger of running ahead of Christ's teachings to supposed deeper truths is to run ahead and outside of Jesus' teachings and truth. We are not abiding in Christ when we do this. There are no deeper truths than what Jesus taught. All things reside in the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. To run ahead to error.

In the King James version and from the strongs Greek, the word parabaino, pronounced par-ab-ah'-ee-no is the greek word for transgresseth which means to go contrary to, i.e. violate a command:--(by) transgress(-ion). Basically one who passes over the sacred, or goes beyond the limits and does not abide in the doctrine-does not remain within these holy limits, but indulges himself either in excesses of action or passion of his or her own belief and not of the truth. This is where the problem is of running ahead of the truth. We should not make the Word more than it is.

"We are not told and we must not desire to be wise above what is written". -Matthew Henry

What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives? Getting to far ahead or even too far behind the Holy Spirit

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (2 John 9) What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"? What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives? What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings? Why is this so important? Running ahead of Christ's teaching is very dangerous because your are not allowing the Holy Spirit to guide you and protect you from the danger that you are headed into. Your life is safe when you are guided by the direction of Christ and if we decide t choose another to guide us than we are failing into a dark life that is not one that is protected. We must abide in Christ means that we are to be one in Him, every area of our life should show Christ in it. We are apart of Him so our decisions should be based on His love for us and others.

"Running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths" takes us away from the throne of Grace. "Running ahead" gives one leave to distort correct teachings toward a self-interest doctrine. "Deeper truths" that turns us away from God's love and our love for Him and His Son is opposed to the unadulterated word of the Gospel.

To abide or continue in Christ and His teachings maintains our relationship. We live in love and share our love for our brother and sister because God has commanded us to love one another. When we abide/continue the H.S. will abide in us, protecting us and leading us in the way of Jesus.

What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"?

"Running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths" can cause not continuing in teaching of Christ. If anyone has this condition, as stated in 2 John 9, he/she will not have God, or he/she will not have eternal life

We will go towards the condition of not continuing in teaching of Christ. If we have this condition, we will not have eternal life in Christ

What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings?

It means that we keep holding our faith in Christ, and living out our lives in conformity with the Word of God, Jesus

• 3 weeks later...

The danger of running ahead of Christ's teachings is that we deviate form scripture and begin to put a worldly spin on Jesus, just as they did in Bible days. There is the danger of making Him a good man...a moral man....and forgetting that He was indeed God made flesh.

If we step out of Bible teachings, we run the risk of slipping away from the truth. We need to stay grounded in the Word of God to stay on track.The danger is that many of those days belived the "man" Jesus died on the cross...not the Divine jesus who is our Savior.

To abide means to saty in the word, to grow and study and live in it. All of us as humans get that feeling that things happening today are new, the worst of times.....but I always remember what my beloved Grandmother told me....there is nothing new to mankind....and only Jesus os the answer.

Why is this so important?

If we abide we become stronger in our faith and can withstand the troubles of this world without crumbling.

• 3 weeks later...

False doctrine. Worthless religion. Greater and greater deception that becomes harder and harder to overcome.

Allowing the enemy a form of control over our living for Christ. Being outside of the Will of God.

To stay within the confines of the truth, the Word of God, the Holy Bible.

Because we will get into a place where we cannot discern truth.

• 4 months later...

When we run ahead, we are not listening to Him. We are not letting Him lead us. We are not submitting to His will. This can be subtle or it can be obvious. In any case when things don't go well for us with other people, it may be because we are "running ahead" and not listening, not using the way of the bible to lead our choices, not seeking advice from elders or other wise Christians. Going to fast can be a problem. Waiting on the Lord requires patience and wisdom. The rewards are worth it, HE said "your joy will be complete."

• 9 months later...

1. We can't see Gods plan for us, so if we run ahead instead of following where He leads us, we can easily veer away from Gods perfect plan, His love for us never falters nor fails, but He must get exasperated with us at times. Only studying the Bible and talking with God can lead us to deeper truths.

2. If we don't keep our eyes on God, we can wander away from Him. By following Him, He remains in our sight allowing us to go where He leads us.

3. To live our lives in accordance with Gods will. We need to study the Bible, listen to our teachers, pastors and deacons and communicate with God thru prayer and meditation on His words to keep us in Gods will for our lives.

4. So we remain in Gods path, His teachings, so that we can live in heaven with Him forever.

• 4 months later...

Answer:

1.What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's teachings to "deeper truths"? What is the danger of "running ahead" of Christ's guidance for our lives?

Jesus Christ is the only TRUTH…there is no other TRUTH,or DEEPER TRUTH…(John 14:6-Jesus replied, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me)….If you deviate on the Gospel of Jesus Christ,and teach the so called deeper truth..Apostle Paul tells you that you should be Cursed, or condemned in hell..whoever you are,be it an angel from Heaven..(Gal 1:6-7- But even if we (or an angel from heaven) should preach a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be condemned to hell! 1:9 As we have said before, and now I say again, if any one is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, let him be condemned to hell!

Two times Apostle paul mention it,to drive his point...

NO OTHER NAME…BUT THE NAME OF JESUS…JESUS PLUS NOTHING…..WE CANT ADD ANYTHING,ANY MAN MADE DOCTRINES,MAN MADE TRUTH TO THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST..To do so,is corrupting the fnished Work of Jesus in the cross...and making the word of God of no effect---Mark 7:13-Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like this.”

2.What does it mean to "abide" or "continue" in Christ and his teachings? Why is this so important?

TO ABIDE IS TO BE ALWAYS CONNECTED,TO BE IN UNION,IN HEALTHY RELATIONSHIP AND FELLOWSHIP,DAILY TALKING AND WALKING WITH GOD THROUGH HIS SON OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST…HE IS NOT ONLY OUR SAVIOUR,THE RELATIONSHIP IS MORE PERSONAL…HE IS OUR ELDER BROTHER,..JESUS HIMSELF CALL US BROTHER…

John 20:17-Jesus replied, “Do not touch me, for I have not yet ascended to my Father. Go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

He called His disciples His BROTHERS…Disciple means “learner”,”pupil”…when Jesus give His great commission he said:GO AND MAKE DISCIPLE…

John 28:19-Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,…

When you believe in Jesus Christ and make him your personal Lord and Saviou,then you are HIS DISCIPLE..and are qualified to be called his little brother…

To abide or continue to His teaching is to be His disciple,and continue to learn more about Jesus,more about what He has done and accomplished in the cross…How he lived like us human,how he died,buried and was resurrected…

He has given us the Holy Spirit to teach us ALL ABOUT TRUTH…ALL ABOUT JESUS..

• 2 months later...

To go beyond is to contradict the apostolic teachings abourt Jesus Christ and believe things about Jesus that were not taught by the apostles. This is a warning not to listen to false teachers. It is the doctrine of Christ that is appointed to guide us to God. By the doctrine of Christ we are enlightened in the knowldege of the Father and the Son. If we run ahead of Christ's guidance we will mess up, and end up denying God. We have to continue in Christ and his teaching to stay on track and close to God. So we can become like Him. It is importantb ecause Christ is the truth and righteous.

• 5 months later...

The danger of running ahead of Christ’s teaching’s and guidance for our lives is distortion of the true gospel and the making up of theology to suit one’s own needs (speaking what sounds good or what someone wants to hear) all which is in error of the truth. It also indicates that a person does not have relationship with God. To abide or continue in Christ and His teachings means to take the apostolic teachings as authoritative, not to go beyond the gospel by extorting its truths. Not to abide or continue in Christ can have people following false doctrine will lead to sin and death.

• 11 months later...

These "deeper truths" are not of God. "Running ahead" is going beyond the boundaries of apostolic teachings of the gospel and into a distorted, false gospel which is no gospel at all. See Galatians 1. This is what cults do, they claim to have new light and teach doctrines that God has not revealed in His word. They do not stay within the bounds of the Christian revelation, or abide in the doctrine of Christ. A deviation of the teachings of Christ Himself and the Word of God.

Why is this important? John emphazies in verse 9 that a cultist may claim to know God, but if he does not believe in the absolute deity and humanity of the Lord Jesus, he does not have God at all. God can only be known through His Son Jesus Christ. See John 14:6.

• 1 month later...

If we do that we're in real danger of adopting an erroneous doctrine instead of the truth laid out in the Bible. Want an everyday example? "God helps those who help themselves" isn't found in the Bible . . . anywhere. I know that's trite but it's a perfect example of a phony religious saying that is man-made. Ironically it's quoted by non-Christians all the time!

We have to stay in step with Jesus. Haven't spoken in tongues yet? Don't sit there saying "banana" backwards until it comes to you. Let the Holy Spirit have His way in His own good time. The devil is crouching at our door just waiting for us to give him an opening to allow the spirit of error into our thinking. If we try to force ourselves to grow spiritually at a rate faster than God knows we're capable of, we WILL come unstuck!

Test the spirits. Read the Bible. Pray for God's guidance. Don't let some fast talker lead you down the garden path into error. Above all, love the Christian brothers and sisters.

There is just so much erroneous teaching around these days that we could find pretty easily anything we want to see hear or read that will make us happy and deceive us into following it to our spiritual detriment. We must weigh every teaching against the Word of God to see if it lines up. If it doesn't, discard it.

• 8 months later...

The danger of “running ahead” of Christ’s teachings to “deeper truths” is that you end up not having the truth. We will come up with things that will control others so that we will look great.

To “abide” or “continue” in Christ and his teachings is to be reading the Bible and meditating on the word. We should be talking to God daily. This is the only way that we will not be deceived by the false teachers.

• 5 months later...

1a)If we add to or dilute what we accept as Christ’s teaching’s we are in danger of deceiving our selves&our minds,and the true message does not grow root in us.

b)Running ahead of Christ’s guidance for our lives,means we could easily take the wrong path and get in troubles that were avoidable, and may also miss out on things God planned for us.

c)abide means spend time with Jesus,read His word to us,absorb this into our minds daily, so his thoughts become more our thoughts. d)This is the only way to fend off the deceivers messages.