JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Darkness and Light

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we claim to be a Christian and conintue to sin we are believing another gospel...ie false teachings. To be a true Christian that is walking in the light and in this there is no darkness . When we sin as a Christian the Holy Spirit will quicken our hearts to repent and change#4 does explain what we as Christains live...Again staying close...building our relationship with Jesus will help us stay in the light.. if we fail He is faithful to forgive us...BUT THIS DOES NOT GIVE US PERMISSION TO SIN

What spoke to me here is that some sins can be inner character flaws that sometimes as "mature christians" we are not even aware of. We have already dealt with the heavy stuff when we first came to Christ but as the years go by these character flaws still are there and we aren't always aware of them as sins.

In my personal life, I find that although I am free of the darkness that held me before I became a Christian, I have to daily work on those other flaws , ie: gossiping, laziness in studing the word and others. I feel that already this study is talking to me personally, God's way of getting my attention to spend more time with Him and to work on those things in my life that are not pleasing to Him.I know that if I willfully continue to ignore these flaws that God is bringing to my attention He can't bless my life and I will not be an effective witness to Him in my daily interaction with others. Also if I walk in the Light I will also deepen my relationships with other Christians. I am thankful that God is faithful and just when I confess these failings and by the power of the Holy Spirit teaches and corrects me so that I may change these things in my life that aren't pleasing to Him.

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

Sin is sin--separation from God. The only way to get back into fellowship with our Lord and Savior is to confess our sin, turn from our wicked ways and seek His face. Then HE will hear our prayers, forgive our sins and heal our land. It's HIS promise which He always keep! When we confess our sins, he will forgive us and we can continue our walk in the light.

As I look at friends and acquaintances around me, I see exactly what John is talking about....People doing what THEY want instead of what God wants. A young couple living together....an older couple living together....coming to church without a Bible probably b/c they don't know where it is, haven't read it in ages...gossiping....etc. The little bracelets showing "WWJD" is not a bad idea. It brings forth the question "what WOULD Jesus do" in a situation. If the time hasn't come that a tug on the conscience would make a person stop and think, maybe a few "wrong" decisions wouldn't occur!

The result of a "Christian" walking in darkness is an aximoron...not to happen! If you believe in God and His statutes and laws, His love and mercy, you would not "walk" in darkness. Would a Christian stumble? Daily! But it's not a "way of life" for us...and we will usually recognize the sin and ask forgiveness. In God's love and mercy He picks us up and sets us back on our path.

When a Christian walks in darkness, they are lying to themselves and attempting to lie to others. We may succeed in fooling ourselves and sometimes others but God will convict us and we will have to either acknowledge our sin or disregard God's Word. We must confess our sins and walk with Jesus. The blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin.

1John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

When we accept Christ into our heart and become a Christian, we start to learn how we should live our lives as one by knowing (by listening to preaching) and studying The Word. The Holy Spirit (through our conscience) will quicken our spirit if we do anything wrong. However, having say that, we often do see and/or hear of christians who are very well versed in God's Word and still walk in darkness and try to justify their ways and wrongs. They are in denial. They try to make their own Will into God's Will. This is self-deception.

On a personal level, we can only get back into light if we sin by confessing our sin(s) to God and ask and pray for forgiveness and show true repentence. If possible, it is good to have a mentor to walk and guide us to walk more and more back into God's way and light.

When a Christian walks in darkness, he jeopardizes his relationship with God. The further you walk away, the harder it is to come back into His grace. Self-deception is prevalent because you are being true to yourself, not to God. You become a pretender, thinking that God does not see, or know your actions. It is much easier to do what is right because it is God's will. Life dictates this philosophy. If you steal, you go to jail. If you work hard, and pray and believe, you are successful. The light is the only way.

What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong?

Eternity in hell

How does this involve self-deception?

You may say God will forgive me but what you are doing is making a idol God. You are deceiving your self by saying I can do what I want and God will for give me. That is not the God of the bible

What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light?

The blood of Jesus cleanse our every sin

How do we get back into the light if we sin?

Repent

He or she is a liar and the truth is not in them. We do have character flaws that are sinful, I believe we know they're sinful but may have put that knowledge on the back burner in order to participate with others on their level at the time. We have a sinful nature and it is easy to slip because of these flaws.

When a Christian continues to walk in darkness and continues to sin when they know better, then they will end up in hell. Self deception means you are only fooling yourself. You cannot fool God. God knows all. The blood of Jesus cleanses all sin. To get back in the` light of God, one must REPENT.

Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the LORD. Psalm 119:1

In his Epistles, John says if we declare Christ as Lord, have a relationship with Him, but still walk in the darkness of disobedience, how can we be Christian? (1 John 1:6; 2:4) A Christian who denies essential doctrine would be an apostate, which means to reject the truth.

It is imperative that when we say we are a follower of Christ, our character and behaviors reflect Him and His call to us to the best of our abilities which includes our temperament.

you are not a christian ,,you are not in GOD GRACES...FORGIVENESS OF OUR SINS AND ETERNAL LIFE....ASK GOD FOR FORGIVENESS AND REALLY MEAN IT.

For Christians to continue in sin is one variation of a the "frog in the kettle" illustration. The more that particular sin is committed, the less you view it as sin or even think about it as being sin to the point where you have totally blocked out the voice of the Holy Spirit inside of you telling you it is sin. Another visual would be those car alarms. When cars were first fitted with car alarms and you heard one, you at least turned your head to see what was up. Now they are so common that they are viewed as a nuisance, not a warning. Thus those who continue in a pattern of sin view the sound of that still small voice inside...as a nuisance rather than as a warning.

The self-deception is that you are telling yourself that what you are doing isn't really wrong, or telling yourself not to think that it is serious, or not to think about it at all.

If we walk in the light, we will have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus will cleanse us from ALL sin.

When a Christian continues to walk in darkness (the world), instead of staying on the straight and narrow their life will get further away from God. A true Christian when asking God to forgive them will know it is a lesson learned. We can't just say "Oh God will forgive me" like it's no big deal or then Jesus' death was in vain. Walking in the light stated in vs 7 means that if we want to be like Christ then we need to act like Christ. I mean Christ was rejected so to be like Him, we will get rejected too.

we christians we keeping walking in darkness we will get no where,yes jesus is with us when we fail or slip up,but we have to be honest with ourselfs and let go of the darkeness that we keeping following,we need to stand up and let the lord guide us spiritually,and let go of satan.

when we waqlk in the light we are praising the love we have for jesus hes walking with us side by side footsteps toghether.

we need to love the words we are hearing,we are god childrens we need his faith jesus cleanse us from our sins ,now we need to follow our fellowship and help those who need our help.

When we walk in Darkness, we do not seem to care, all we want to do is enjoy ourselves, To do what ever we want to do, without concidering others or our God. We get further and further away from God. We do not think it is nessersary to attend our Church. God loves us,even though we walk in Darkness. He causes us to suddenly look at ourselves and to realise that we need help. We need Gods help. What must we do. We must confess our Sins to God, We must plead for his forgiveness.

God is Good He will forgive us our Sins, so That we can walk in the light.

When we walk in the light, We feel Gods Love, we have the company of Good Christian friends, who will hold us up, when we need encouragement. To walk in the light is to praise god, and mean everything that we confess. Be true to God and ourselves.To Talk to God, to Pray daily, anytime. Tell God you Love him, He wants us to talk to him. He is always listening to us. Leave our troubles in his hands.He loves us.

WOW!.THIS STUDY IS ALREADY HELPING ME ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING WITH FOR YEARS ABOUT PEOPLE WHO GO TO CHURCH OR CLAIM TO BE CHRISTIANS BUT LIVE IN DARKNESS.IF SOMEONE CALLS HIMSELF A CHRISTIAN AND CONTINUALLY LIVES IN SIN,HE IS DECEIVING HIMSELF. FOR A TRUE CHRISTIAN, LIVING IN SIN SHOULD NOT BE A WAY OF LIFE. IF WE DO SIN HOWEVER, THERE IS FORGIVENESS AVAILABLE THROUGH THE BLOOD OF CHRIST WHICH WAS SHED FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS.I ASK THE LORD DAILY TO SHOW ME BY HIS SPIRIT THE THINGS IM MY HEART THAT ARE DISPLEASING TO HIM SO I CAN ALWAYS HAVE A REPENTANT HEART TOWARDS GOD AND NOT A HARDENED HEART.I WANT TO BE SINCERE IN MY CHRISTIAN WALK AND NOT A PHONY. I CAN THINK OF NUMEROUS EXAMPLES, SOME IN MY OWN FAMILY WHO CALL THEMSELVES CHRISTIANS AND ARE LIVING IN PURE DARKNESS..GOD BLESS.

When we walk in darkness, we are not walking with God. This has many consequences. We stop experiencing his blessings, we stop hearing his voice, we stop receiving his comfort. This involves selp deception because while we are experiecing God's warnings that our life is not glorifying him, we continue in OUR own way. We have to lie to ourselves to believe that we are walking with Christ when we are not. Eventually the result is that God will say he did not know us, and we will be cast aside into eternal darkness. Repentance and a desire to LIVE for God, and not for self is how we get back.

I loved the frog in the hot pan of water illustration, becoming desensitized to sin in our lives. I think this happens a lot within the church, and sin becomes accepted because we all struggle with it, so it's okay. It's good to realize we all struggle, keeps us humble. However, we need to be confessing our sin and working on being overcomers through the power of the Holy Spirit.

I don't think you can be a christian and live in sin, I claimed to be a christian in my early years yet lived as a sinner doing anything that felt good. Like John said I was only decieving myself. Till we become honest with ourself and the Holy Spirit then we can't overcomeour struggle we must admit our faults and ask the Holy Spirit to help by giving us strenght to over come them. Then we must be willing to be honest with other so that they can help by being our support system keeping us in prayer and seeking to keep us honest with our selves.

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong? And how does this involve self-deception?

If we say we are a Christian, one who has fellowship with God and His Son, and yet our life shows we are walking in darkness, sin, we deceive ourselves, our walk speaks - it is not true.

What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light?

Instead of making excuses for ourselves we should be walking in the light, walking in the statures of God and doing them; we have been given the Spirit, therefore the world should see the

Q2. (1 John 1:5-7) What is the result when a Christian walks in darkness, that is, continues willfully to do what he or she knows to be wrong?

When a Christian persist to walk in darkness, continuing to willfully sin, he is denying the power of the Holy Spirit to keep that which is committed to Him. As Christians we have the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth and when we chose not to allow the Holy Spirit to do His work in us we deny the power of God in our life. The power of God helps us to resist temptation to sin.

How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

We deceive ourself when we fail to walk in the light. We are cleansed from our sins when we are walking in the light. When we sin all we have to do is to confess our sins and God in His faithfulness will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. Praise the Lord!!

Hebrews 10:26-27

10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,

10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

In this letter, John tells us that we have to convess our sins.

We can lie to ourselves but He knows everyting so we can not lie to Him.

A. If we say we are Christians and believe in God yet we continue to sin knowingly then we are liars. We have the Holy Spirit to guide. So, we need ask the Holy Spirit to guide, lead and teach us. We should be quickened by the Holy Spirit when we are about to sin. If we have the fear of God in us we will never sin over and over again.

How does this involve self-deception? What is the result, according to verse 7, when we walk in the light? How do we get back into the light if we sin?

We deceive ourself when we fail to walk in the light. We are cleansed from our sins when we are walking in the light. When we sin all we have to do is to confess our sins and God in His faithfulness will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1. The result is that we are liars and do not live by the truth.

2. It involves self-deception because we are not only lying to others, but also to ourselves.

3. We have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus purifies us from all sin.