JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Lord Our Banner

Pastor Ralph

Guest Windy

Q4. (Exodus 17:9-16) In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle? In what sense is the LORD our banner in the battles we face?

Moses staff was like a rallying, focal point. As long as the troops could see the staff, they knew God was with them, but as Moses hands lowered, they would start losing. It was as if the troops were losing their strength, when Moses hands were lowered. But Aaron and Hur stood by Moses and helped hold up his arms, to ensure victory, for the troops. We too, need to hold up the hands of our spiritual leaders as well. Taking some of the responsibility, giving them words of encouragement. Praying for a spiritual refreshing, for them and ourselves.

A banner is above the troops, as God is above us, to rally, to encourage, to let us know He is with us. We know nothing is bigger then our God and He can handle anything, that comes our way. All we need to do is ask.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Exodus 17:9-16) In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle? In what sense is the LORD our banner in the battles we face?

Moses lifted his hands up to the heavens - to God who was their help in the battle and it was also a sign to the army that God was with them. They needed that reminder just as a flag is a reminder of the armies today who is their commander and their cause. Seeing their flag motivates the armies today and in the same manner, seeing Moses and his rod motivated the Israelites to fight.

We also need to lift up our eyes to our Commander, to be motivated and be reassured that the battle is the Lord's and to be under His command. I need to know his voice to listen to His instructions and to use the His weapons- His Word as my ammunition. I have to fight His cause and know that with Him I am on the winning team

The LORD is always so generous with His grace toward His people. While we are expected to participate in battle, it does indeed belong to Him. Raising the pole or banner identified Israel with the LORD as well as encouraging those in battle and those waiting. It can also be used as a symbol of faith. When the banner was raised, Israel prevailed and when the banner was lowered, they did not. The same with our faith; when we hold our faith high and are focused on what the LORD can do through us, we too prevail. When we waver in our faith or look at the world instead of our LORD, we are vulnerable to our enemies and loss. We need to recognize the importance of unwavering faith and looking to the LORD for strength and guidance. At times, He will bring others alongside to encourage, strengthen and support - but He is still the One we are to look to.

• 2 weeks later...

In this battle Moses' rod was a signal pole in that it represented his steadfastness to remain true to his belief that they should be Free men.....Like the bows that defended the soldiers raised high is readiness so it was with Moses rod maintaining a united psyche for Freedoom of their homeland....The Lord is a banner in battles faced on the human plane of existence encouraging strength through ignorance and ultimately defining the futility of disagreement or disharmony among individuals...retaining the goodness of the Being and sharing compassion and love throughout the Universe.

• 3 weeks later...

4. a. Moses rod was like a signal pole in this battle because he was honoring God in lifting up his hands and trusting God to win the battle. When his hands dropped down they were battling in their own strength and losing the battle.

b. The Lord is our banner in the battles we face because as long as we exalt Him, trust Him, declare His Word and count on Him to win our battles and not in our own strength we win the victory.

• 2 months later...

As long as Moses hand is held up with the rod in his hand Joshua and his troops were able to join forces together and crush the enemy thereby prevailing over Amalek. No matter how tough the battle may be and no matter how tired or depressed we may feel we should know that we have God who is the mighty warrior and great in battle, our banner who can give us victory. He never gets tired and His Host of armies are ever-ready. All we need do is look up to Him and call upon Him to lead us in any battle we face. Amen

• 1 month later...

Exo 17:9 So Moses told Joshua, "Have some men ready to attack the Amalekites tomorrow. I will stand on a hilltop, holding this walking stick that has the power of God."

Exo 17:10 Joshua led the attack as Moses had commanded, while Moses, Aaron, and Hur stood on the hilltop.

Exo 17:11 The Israelites out-fought the Amalekites as long as Moses held up his arms, but they started losing whenever he had to lower them.

Exo 17:12 Finally, Moses was so tired that Aaron and Hur got a rock for him to sit on. Then they stood beside him and supported his arms in the same position until sunset.

Exo 17:13 That's how Joshua defeated the Amalekites.

Exo 17:14 Afterwards, the LORD said to Moses, "Write an account of this victory and read it to Joshua. I want the Amalekites to be forgotten forever."

Exo 17:15 Moses built an altar and named it "The LORD Gives Me Victory."

Exo 17:16 Then Moses explained, "This is because I depended on the LORD. But in future generations, the LORD will have to fight the Amalekites again."

Moses' pole is helping them win as long as it is raised. God is our banner because he is helping us with our battled with the devil

Exodus 17:9-16;

"So Moses said to Joshua, 'Choose for us men, and go out and fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand.' So Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought with Amalek, while Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed, and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed. But Moses' hands grew weary, so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it, while Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side. So his hands were steady until the going down of the sun. And Joshua overwhelmed Amalek and his people with the sword. Then the LORD said to Moses, 'Write this as a memorial in a book and recite it in the ears of Joshua, that I will utterly blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven.' And Moses built an altar and called the name of it, The LORD Is My Banner, saying, 'A hand upon the throne of the LORD! The LORD will have war with Amalek from generation to generation."

The sense is when Moses's rod/staff is a signal pole in the battle, if Moses raises his rod, he won the war, but if he lower his rod down, then he lost the war and the others win the war. the sense about the Lord our banner however, when we face our war against the other people, God will always be on your side.

Exo 17:9 So Moses said to Joshua, "Choose for us men, and go out and fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand."

Exo 17:10 So Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought with Amalek, while Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill.

Exo 17:11 Whenever Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed, and whenever he lowered his hand, Amalek prevailed.

Exo 17:12 But Moses' hands grew weary, so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it, while Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side. So his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.

Exo 17:13 And Joshua overwhelmed Amalek and his people with the sword.

Exo 17:14 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Write this as a memorial in a book and recite it in the ears of Joshua, that I will utterly blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven."

Exo 17:15 And Moses built an altar and called the name of it, The LORD Is My Banner,

Exo 17:16 saying, "A hand upon the throne of the LORD! The LORD will have war with Amalek from generation to generation."

The faith that the people had required that Moses hold up his rod to show that they had the LORD as their leader in this battle. It was a reminder of who exactly they were committed to. They were going to battle with the LORD as their commander. With Him in control they would always be on top.

For us it is the same ... no battle we face is to hard for the LORD. As long as we carry our faith and belief in Him He will be with us and if we are fighting a battle for the LORD there is no way we can lose.

I want to share a song that I found with all here...may it help you to praise the LORD for being our Banner

In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle? In what sense is the LORD our banner in the battles we face?

Moses' rod is a pole in battle because this made the people fight for him. god is our banner because he is what helps us fight.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Moses used his rod as a rallying point for the troops. As long as he kept his arms raised, they were winning. If we keep the LORD first in our thoughts and lives (“seek ye first the kingdom of God), keeping our focus on Him (and all others things will be given…” Matt 6:33); can be viewed as a form of keeping Him lifted up as Moses’ did by keeping his arms raised. When Moses’ arms dropped, they began to lose. If we don’t keep God first, we too lose not just in battle, but in everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Moses was in battle for the Israelites to again prove to them that a invisable God is there even if he can't be seen. The Lord always goes before us in battle if we are his.

• 4 months later...

A signal pole, usually a flag would be erected on the top of a hill. It was to call the troops to gather and begin war. In this case, the Amalekites were coming to war against the armies of Israel. Moses stood on the top of a hill and held his hands up in the air. In that situation, the Israelites perceived this to be the sign that it was time to gather for war. God had told Moses to do this. When they looked up and saw Moses, they won the battle as long as his hands were up. When they would become discouraged they could look it and it encouraged their heart. It was Moses that God used to give the victory. But it was the men who had to fight.

We too are engaged constantly in war. It is an unseen spiritual battle with the forces of evil. The Lord Jesus Christ through His crucifixion and resurrection secured the victory. When we keep our eyes on Him, we will our battles and when we get our eyes off of Him we lose our battles. It is the same thing. He is our Moses, or our banner of victory and protection.

A signal pole, usually a flag would be erected on the top of a hill. It was to call the troops to gather and begin war. In this case, the Amalekites were coming to war against the armies of Israel. Moses stood on the top of a hill and held his hands up in the air. In that situation, the Israelites perceived this to be the sign that it was time to gather for war. God had told Moses to do this. When they looked up and saw Moses, they won the battle as long as his hands were up. When they would become discouraged they could look it and it encouraged their heart. It was Moses that God used to give the victory. But it was the men who had to fight.

We too are engaged constantly in war. It is an unseen spiritual battle with the forces of evil. The Lord Jesus Christ through His crucifixion and resurrection secured the victory. When we keep our eyes on Him, we will our battles and when we get our eyes off of Him we lose our battles. It is the same thing. He is our Moses, or our banner of victory and protection.

• 6 months later...

Moses's staff his hands raised up symbolized the Banner. Yahweh's abiding and powerful presence that energized the fighting men on the ground and enabled them to over come the enemy that prowled like a lion to devour.

By holding his hands up to the LORD, Moses shows

his dependence in God. (1) Israel's strength and victory depended on their faith in God. They showed this by prayer and obidience. In this situation when Moses stopped praying, God's power stopped flowing (2) If we fail to pray anf depend on God, we will eventually lose His protection, blessings and favor. Our only hopeof victory comes from relying on God. We should embrace the privilefge we have to"approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may recieve mercy". Along with mercy, we can find grace to help us in our time of need.

• 10 months later...

Q4. (Exodus 17:9-16) In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle?      Moses  used his rod as a rallying point for the troops.

In what sense is the LORD our banner in the battles we face?  Because we look to Him in the battles that we face.

• 3 weeks later...

Moses' rod was like a signal pole in that at any point that the soldiers got weary or wondered what was the point they could see that rod and know they were fighting for their God and that their God was fighting for them! 

The Lord is my banner in the same way.  No matter what battles I may be fighting I need to realize that my Lord and Savior is fighting for me also.  The battle becomes almost pointless when I know my God is fighting for me.  For if God is for me who can be against me?!

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Exodus 17:9-16) In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle?

While Moses held the rod aloft the Israelites had the advantage. If they looked to the rod, and to Moses, for inspiration and saw it held up the could win.

In what sense is the LORD our banner in the battles we face?

If we trust in The LORD to direct our paths and yield our will to Him, He will defend us. In effect we'll be flying His colors. If we fight our battles on our own for the purpose of selfish ambition or go in directions we know God doesn't want us to go we can't expect too much help from Him

• 1 year later...

While the  "rod of God" - Moses' staff or stick or rod - was lifted high, the troops had courage to keep fighting, they knew The Mighty Warrior was fighting with them!   The staff/ stick/ rod of Moses was a symbol of Gods presence.  It was a tool God used to do many wonderful, mighty deeds!   At a time the rod with the serpent on was lifted high and those who looked up on it were saved / healed!   We see the Lord, He is high and lifted up !

God promises He will never leave or forsake us, He made His home within us, His Spirit is in us.  The battles we fight are also His battles - spiritual battles!  He fights with and for us.  Jesus has already disarmed and made a spectacle of our enemy!  Keep eyes on Jesus,  keep the faith,  Jesus always leads us in triumph !  We have His Word as Sword ! 

• 3 weeks later...

Moses' rod was like a signal pole in this battle because when his hands were raised it gave the courage to the Israelites to fight and defeat their enemies.This may likened to the staff/rod Moses and Aaron used in the presence of Pharoah  to show the miraculous power of the Most High.

God is always near during our trials/battles and he is our Jehovah Nissi, our Refuge. We can take shelter under his covering for in the name of our God, we must always lift up our banners.

• 1 year later...

Names of God; Lesson 2 Exodus 17:9-16

Q4. In what sense was Moses' rod like a signal pole in this battle?

The rod was similar to our soldiers carrying the American flag into battle representing the nation. Moses' rod represented the authority God had given to him to lead the people and to govern them. When God wanted to demonstrate His presence, such as getting water to flow from the rock, or parting the waters of the Red Sea,  God used Moses' rod to bring forth the miracle. The rod was the soldiers focal point and reminder that this was God's battle and when high and lifted up, He would defeat the Amalekites. ( kind of like a lightning rod attracts the energy from above and grounds it in one place)

In what sense is the Lord our banner in the battles we face?

I love that name...the LORD OUR BANNER. When I was a child growing up I had no one to champion or help me...I was mostly on my own. Now I have not just a champion to protect and help me but THE Champion of Champions. The ALL POWERFUL WARRIOR God champions me in all battles. His banner flies in the face of the enemy, as Moses rod did when held high, and waves over and surrounds me giving me confidence that He will be the victor in the battles I face when I rely on Him. (The Amalekites represent the flesh....and as v.16 tells us, THE LORD will have war with Amalek from generation to generation. When I struggle with fleshly battles, I've learned to surrender them to my Champion, rather than using  flimsy will power, which is like trying to put out a fire with a squirt gun. But my Warrior God prevails where I cannot.) His banner over me is LOVE.

• 1 year later...

This rod represented God's presence who fought the battle for the Israelities .  Moses obeyed God and as long a he held the rod up the battle would be won.  God is our banner in our times of trouble and tribulations.  He has instructed us in how to fight and face our troubles.  We are to lean and depend on Him.  We are to trust and obey Him and cast all of our cares on Him because He promised He would take care of us as long as we were faithful to him and call upon His name.  

• 5 months later...

Moses was using his rod as a rallying point for the troops. But since troops in all but the most modern warfare used flags as rallying points, perhaps "banner" conveys the idea effectively to our time.  The staff in Moses' hands, the "rod of God" was that pole or standard lifted high that won the battle for Israel -- Yahweh-nissi.

The Lord is our banner in the battles we face in that it describes one of zhis characteristics -- Yahweh my banner, the one I look to in battle as my rallying point.