JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Knowing Christ

How could one have a relationship with someone without faith in that person? Especially one you can't see with your eyes? You can only know Jesus in your heart and through your spirit! No you can't have one without the other! I am on a quest to deeprn my relationship with Jesus! Sometimes you can get so caught up in daily life that time spent with Him can suffer! But I need Him and more of Him! Because without Him what do I have?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing Christ is relating to Him in relationship; being in conversation with Him, watching Him challenge you, correct you, stretch you and make you more like Himself.

It is more than saving faith because an individual can be saved yet not growing in their intimate, experiential knowledge of Christ. Often times we piggy-back on the experiences of our pastors, friends, and other brothers and sisters without taking time to grow in our own intimacy with Him.

Indeed, saving faith comes before a knowledge of Jesus because our sins have severed the relationship between Him and ourselves. We need that relationship to be restored at the cross and then go on to know Him.

I struggle in growing in and knowing Him. There are times of real true intimacy when I can say clearly "this is what God is doing in my life right now". There are other times when my experience is shallow and seemingly static. Thankfully He has promised that He will never leave nor forsake us.

• 1 month later...

To know someone is to walk in their shoes. Follow the model. To obey all of Christ's teaching, perform His will in faith and suffer like He did. His suffering perfected Him and so too will perfect us in His image. It's both. We can't have a personal relationship with someone we don't believe exists. If my relationship with Christ can be measured by standing in water - water over my head means total obedience and overfilling of the Spirit, I would say the water is up to my knees. I can still move around - exerting my will more than the water's exerting it's will. I'm heading into deeper waters. I want to know Him more, it's my prayer/communication that really needs a lot of work. I have faith and I love reading His word daily but my prayer life is more one sided.

I BELIEVE IT IS MEANT TO HAVE BOTH,FAITH AND PERSONEL RELATIONSHIP.TO KNOW CHRIST JESUS,SALVATION COMES FIRST.YOU HAVE TO HAVE FAITH TO BELIEVE IN HIM.ALL BELIEVERS I FEEL MUST GROW IN OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST JESUS.AS YOU GROW WITH CHRIST,YOUR FAITH GROWS,AND YOU BECOME STRONGER CHRISTIAN.WE LIVE EVERYDAY OF OUR LIFE BY THE GRACE OF GOD.

• 2 months later...

I BELIEVE TO KNOW CHRIST IS TO UNDERSTAND WHO HE IS AND HIS CHARACTER WITH THE HELP OF THE HOLY SPIRIT WHO DWELLS WITHIN US.IT MEANS TO HAVE FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST BY DEVELOPING A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH HIM THROUGH HIS WORD AND TIME SPENT IN PRAYER.IT'S DIFFICULT TO HAVE A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST WITHOUT FAITH IN HIM; WITHOUT FAITH THAT HE EXISTS.

WITHOUT FAITH IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO TRULY UNDERSTAND THE WORD OR GOD. CHRISTIANITY IS A FAITH WALK.BUT IT IS POSSIBLE TO HAVE FAITH WITHOUT A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP.I PROVED THAT ONE MYSELF WHEN I GOT BORN AGAIN BUT ONLY WITHIN THIS LAST YEAR HAS NOW COME TO UNDERSTAND INTIMACY WITH JESUS.I'M LEARNING SOME DEEP TRUTHS ABOUT THE RISEN, RESURRECTED SAVIOUR THAT I DIDNT TRULY UNDERSTAND UNTIL I EXPERIENCED INTIMACY. HE WANTS TO BE MY ALL IN ALL; MY EVERYTHING, MY ALL SUFFICIENT GOD. I DIDNT REALLY EXPECT THAT FROM HIM. I THOUGHT HE WAS LIKE PEOPLE; ONLY THERE FOR A WHILE. BOY, WAS I WRONG..I LOVE HIM MORE NOW THAN THEN.....GOD BLESS...

• 9 months later...

To know Jesus is to recognize His nature and character. If you don't have faith in Him why would one bother to know Him? Further, who wants to have a personal relationship with someone that is a stranger to you?

In my relationship with the Lord I seek to know Him more, by studying His word, by prayer, by praise, by worship, by giving Him my life and, I know Him better each day.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (3:8-10) What does it mean to "know" Christ? Does this mean to have faith? Or to have a personal relationship? Is it possible to have a personal relationship with Christ without faith? Is it possible to have faith without a personal relationship? Where are you on your quest to know Christ?

To know Christ is to be a co-heir with Him. To know Christ is to have faith in Him, to know that He loves us and that He has obtained the victory for us. Faith means trust how can you have a relationship withot trust. Like any relationship we must grow in it. I often fear that I "know about" Christ rather than "know" Him. Yet I have seen changes in my life that can't be explained except through my relationship with Christ.

• 6 months later...
Q4. (3:8-10) What does it mean to "know" Christ? Does this mean to have faith? Or to have a personal relationship? Is it possible to have a personal relationship with Christ without faith? Is it possible to have faith without a personal relationship? Where are you on your quest to know Christ?

If I had a friend that never spent any time with me then we would never have a relationship in which to truly understand and accept me where I am or what I believe With no relationship there could never be faith to know Christ thus couldn't know Christ's ways. I know that I know through humbleness that I serve God willingly without reservations and becoming meek and teachable.

• 1 month later...

To know Christ is to have a close personal relationship with Christ. We must have faith. I believe that some people believe in God ,that Jesus is his son and that he died on the cross for us but do not have a personal relationship with God. They have fallen into a comfortable routine of going to church on Sunday, saying there prayers, giving there tithe and going home. The kids get baptized. The whole family goes to confession once a month, they confesses their sins, do an act of contrition or two and go home again. They believe but their relationship with Jesus doesn't grow.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (3:8-10) What does it mean to "know" Christ?

To "know" Christ means to have an intimate relationship with Him.

Does this mean to have faith?

Yes, it means to have faith; faith to live by His word, faith to trust in Him.

Or to have a personal relationship?

That personal relationship is maintained through faith.

Is it possible to have a personal relationship with Christ without faith?

No, it is not possible to have a personal relationship with Christ without faith. Faith is the basis of our relationship with God, "for without faith it is impossible to please God".

Is it possible to have faith without a personal relationship?

No. God gave us all a measure of faith and through our feeding on the Word of God it grows and so does our relationship with God.

Where are you on your quest to know Christ?

Daily, I living to walk with Him and dedicating my life to be in His Will and thereby in position to get closer, and closer, and closer to Him.

• 4 weeks later...

wow, this is what it's all about, huh? well, proverbs chapter 2:1-5 rang out to me first. but this is more than just an intelligent answer. so i started thinking about my two boys. they recently started preschool so my mornings are free. it used to be wake up and hit the floor running, taking care of this and that,making sure all bases were covered.for three years it was routine.now there's time to reflect on them, to miss them, remembering their smiles and laughter, their tears and hurts. i hear them talking to me, asking funny questions and grabbing everything that was in sight. i just taught them how to make the letter a on the chalkboard and then called everyone when they did it.they have my attention, and i have theirs. not a day goes by that i don't hold them and hug them, and tell them i love them. i want them to know i will be there for them, and i will fight for them, just because they are my sons.nothing more and nothing less.faith is a gift, much like a flower. it gives beauty and fragrance when in season. but faith also at times, whithers,but if watered and fed right will come back doublefold,and without nutrition and water, will just dry up.so yes, if you don't spend no time with christ, there would be no memories,no laughter, no tears, no love. but if we embrace this relationship, oh lordy, we out grow the mustard seed.everything is packed to the gills, our lives are overflowing into others, and this is a good thing.where am i now?i'm learning to enjoy what comes at me whether its hard or easy, i'm learning to rest in him

• 2 weeks later...

As i pondered the answer to this question one thing came to me. You cannot have faith in something / someone you do not know. You have to know their abilities. Having faith in Jesus, is saying "i know who You are Lord and i belive in you". But faith cannot grow on that simple knowledge of God saved me and He is Lord of all. One has to grow in a deeper knowledge of God through His Word, thus developing an intimate relationship with Him, ultimately grow stronger in faith.

"Without faith it is impossible to please God", it is not said that it is hard but can be done but IMPOSSIBLE. Therefore, you cannot have a relationship with someone you are not pleasing in any way. Therefore it is not possible too have a personal relationship without faith.

"Oh that I may know Him!" That is my prayer at this stage. I long for an intimate relationship with Him....This is an unending search for me.

• 1 month later...

To know Jesus Christ means to have a personal relationship with Him and to have a personal relationship means to know Him. To do both means surrendering our hearts and lives to Him. It means to take on His interests and to follow His way in faith.

It is not possible to have a personal relationship with Jesus without faith. Faith has always been the foundation of any relationship between man and God. You cannot have genuine faith without knowing the author of that faith.

Based on faith in God's Word, I have surrendered my life to Jesus Christ and am living for Him.

• 9 months later...

Our pastor says that Christian faith is not blind, and it is does not stand on its own. It is based on the facts that Jesus laid out for us, and is the personal link between us and Him. He is the object of our faith. So in this case, faith is personal. For anyone to call themselves a Christian, and to not profess a personal relationship with Jesus is to not have faith in him at all. They might be following a religion, but it's not what Jesus called us to. He rebuked the religious leaders of his day who studied the scriptures but didn't understand that the scriptures spoke about Jesus. Our faith cannot be based on Bible knowledge or religious systems - although both of these can point us to, and helps us grow, a personal relationship with the Author and Finisher of our FAITH.

Where am I? I have known Jesus personally for about 30 years, but have only been really following him for about 20 years. I think he knows a lot more about me than I would like, and I don't know as much as I would like to know about Him. So I carry on, trusting that he'll somehow manage to keep me in his grace, and show me how to life like I should.

• 4 weeks later...

To know Christ is to have a personal relationship with him. He is someone you talk to everyday, someone you know, love and trust, someone you want to know more about. There must be faith to have a relationship. I feel like I'm on a journey. I've come a long way from where I started, but I have a long way to go unless the Lord comes first.

• 3 months later...

To " Know" Christ , To give up everything else is to be found the only way to really know Christ and to experience the mighty power that brought him back to life again, and to find out what it means to suffer and die with Him. Everything else is worthless when compared with the peiceless gain of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.

Yes, it means having Faith in Him.

Yes, it also means one has to have a personal relationship with Him.

No, With out Faith it is impossiable to please God. So how can one say they have a personal relationship with out faith ?

Becoming more knowledgeable of Him daily through His Inspiring Word found in "The Holy Bible" with His Holy Spirit teaching and giving me the understanding of His Rightiousness.

• 5 months later...

What does it mean to 'know' Christ? Does this mean to have faith? Or to have a personal relationship?

To 'know' Christ would mean having a personal relationship -- the placing our 'faith' in Christ that His death, burial and resurrection actually happened -- the Bible tells me so -- that Nothing I can do personally is able to get me to Heaven because I was born a sinner -- God can't allow our unrighteousness to be in Heaven. So He sent His son, Jesus Christ , to die in my place -- the gift of salvation. The gift that rescues us from eternity in hell. We acknowledge our need -- repent -- turn to God through Jesus Christ -- accept His gift of eternal life. And that His death, burial and resurrection are sufficient -- nothing more is needed for eternal life -- We receive the Holy Spirit at the time of salvation -- that is what seals our souls until we reach Heaven. Means that Satan can't steal us back -- can't loose salvation. It also changes us inwardly -- we will have desire to learn more / please God. We will continue to 'grow' spiritually as we read His Word and pray.

I don't think so -- faith is the ability to trust what we can't see. It's like the faith we place in the person who made the chair we sit in -- unless we watch it being put together -- we practice 'faith' by simply sitting in the chair with confidence -- we assume the maker of it used the right nails or whatever so that it will be stable to sit on and not fall apart under our weight.

We need to have faith in God's Word -- that Christ is God's Son in the first place.

Yes -- lots of people have a 'head' knowledge of who God is -- who Christ is -- believe what the Bible says -- but simply haven't accepted Christ as their own Personal savior. They put their 'faith' in church membership or their parent's Godly relationship or baptism or whatever.

Read my Bible on my own in addition to learning with others at Bible study groups -- am being more involved in the church I go to.

Sue D. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (3:8-10) What does it mean to "know" Christ?

I like the amplified explanation in V.8 & 9: to know Jesus is to progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, of perceiving and recoginizing and understanding Him more fully and clearly, and to be known as in Him, to be found in Him.

Does this mean to have faith?

It requires faith to begin the relationship and to grow in it...to believe that He is and to continually seek Him.

Or to have a personal relationship?

I believe some have faith that Jesus exists, as in the cults, and many in Christian churches, but don't "know" Him in terms of having a personal and intimate relationship with Him, which is what He longs for. That would be like being married to someone who lives on another continent, and never consumating the marriage, or sharing life together, except through the occasional letter. YUK!

No, I don't believe it is possible. My walk with Him has been and is, all about faith. Following Him has led to great losses, of business, home, friends, and much suffering. But though painful, it's a privilege to know Him in His suffering. When in the moment of shock that my obedience led to the loss of our home, I cried out "Lord, we're homeless!!!!" (like He was surpriesed!), and I heard "Foxes have holes, the birds of the air have nests, but the Son Of Man had no place to lay His head"....I replied "oh. I hadn't put that together that YOU were HOMELESS!!! so You understand!" He's shown me over the years that in all things He has gone before.

Well, the thief on the cross had enough faith to ask to be with Jesus in Paradise, but died without much of a relationship. So I guess it is possible in the "death bed" type of conversions.

I'm in a comfortable place with Jesus. I know He loves me and that I love Him, endeavor to obey Him, to seek Him. I read His Word every day (but there was a time I did this just to get a "check mark in the box", and that wasn't satisfying...more like speed reading the dictionary just to say I read the Bible). I overcame the fear that blocked my relationship, as I did 12 step work and recognized that I "put the face" of my violent Dad on His face, and kept my distance for a number of years. I learned to be gut level honest with Him, and my relationship with Him grew more intimate and trusting. I learned that "I am dust", and stopped "dancing the jig" to try to please Him, and know that He is pleased with me, just "because I am", not for what I do. I long to see His blessed face. I yearn for Him to come for us. I've walked with Him for 36 years, but feel like I've only touched the surface of Who He Is.....don't think I'll ever REALLY know Him completely "until that day".

• 2 months later...

Q4. (3:8-10)

What does it mean to "know" Christ?

Does this mean to have faith, or to have a personal relationship?

To know Christ is to have a deep personal relationship with Jesus, to have Him involved in our daily activities, and to always be aware of His presence. We definitely need to put all our trust in our Lord Jesus to have a personal relationship. Sometimes our relationship wanes, especially when we

• 7 months later...

It is impossible to know Christ without faith or without having a personal relationship with Him. . . Knowing Christ involves both faith and a personal and intimate relationship with Him. . . Knowing Christ involves coming into agreement with Him - Amos 3:3 (KJV) 3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed? - Walking /living in concert with His Word. . . It involves obedient service in accordance with His will, purpose and plan He has for our lives. . .

Knowing Christs results in us developing active prayer lives - a comprehensive study of the Word of God and walking in agreement with His Word. . .

B)B)

• 3 weeks later...

To 'know' Christ means that you know about several aspects of Him.

For example, I know my neighbour only by face - I see her sometimes but I don't know what she likes to do, what her fears are, etc.

I know my brother better - he loves sinister spanish movies, he studies, searches google earth for places like tsjernobyl, doesn't eat salmon, etc.

Ofcourse we need to believe somebody exists before we even try to know him.

Yes, we need a personal relationship.

You don't tell a complete stranger about your deepest fears or the things you've done wrong.

Again, we need to believe somebody exists before we even try to know him.

Yes, we can believe in God without having a personal relationship.

That happens when you don't pray and don't read the Bible.

Then He's some stranger you don't know very well.

Actually, dr. Wilson's book 'Great prayers of the Bible' was the key that helped me a lot.

Now I know how to pray.

Before, it was like calling my mother and only being able to say things like 'nice weather'.

Now it's like a conversation with more interaction.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Q4. (3:8-10) what does it mean to "know" Christ?

Knowing Christ is having a personal relationship with Him, our relationship enables us to “fellowship" with Him.

Does this mean to have faith or to have a personal relationship?

It is through our "faith" in Israel's Messiah that we can experience, have a "personal relationship" with Him.

"Faith" is how we are can truly have fellowship with both the Son and with the Father.

Is it possible to have a personal relationship with Christ without faith, and is it possible to have faith without a personal relationship?

Faith has always been a requirement for mankind to have a relationship with God, but, if we say that we have fellowship, a relationship with Him, and walk in darkness, (sin) we lie, and do not have the truth living in us.

To have a personal relationship with Christ, that relationship calls for us to walk in that "faith", faith is seen in our obedience to God's laws, laws that Christ has written on our hearts.

Faith is calling us to put away sin, (stop practicing sin) it is impossible to live a sinless life, however, our circumcised hearts call us to strive for that perfection, the reason being is our "personal relationship with the Son", we are now in partnership with Him, and that fellowship calls for us to walk in the light, God's law is a light before our path

My quest is that of striving to walk in God's "love".

• 9 months later...

To know Christ means to have a relationship with Him and yes, we must put our faith in Him and maybe even give up some things or people. A personal relationship with Him means we spend time with Him daily, we believe and trust in Him. Without faith, it is impossible to please Him so it would be difficult to have a relationship with Him. Having faith without a personal relationship could be possible however; one’s faith may be somewhat shaky.

• 1 year later...

Philippians 3:8-10
Q). What does it mean to "know" Christ? Does this mean to have faith? Or to have a personal relationship?
A). To "know" Christ is to have a growing personal relationship with Christ. The relationship begins when we first put our faith in Christ and grows over a lifetime.
#
Q). Is it possible to have a personal relationship with Christ without faith?
A). It is not possible to have a personal relationship with Christ without faith. The relationship begins when we first put our faith in Christ.
#
Q). Is it possible to have faith without a personal relationship?
A). The relationship begins when we first put our faith in Christ.
#
Q). Where are you on your quest to know Christ?
A). I am still learning to trust and obey Him more often.