JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Most High

Pastor Ralph

For me it has the same meaning as Abraham and Melchizedek. God is the Creator of everything and therefore Supreme over everything. Nothing and no one is above or higher. When I praise and worship God (according to the meaning of this name), I acknowledge HIM as supreme, sovereign, trustworthy, and ONE is dominate, over everything. I never thought to actually call Him by this particular name, though I describe the meanings and His many attributes in prayer.

I have called Him Elohim and I have heard Him called Hasheem by the minister who led a class I took on Prophetic Worship; and almost everyone knows the name Jehovah. Knowing that He has several names with different meanings I’ve always wanted to become more familiar with them all. How I will incorporate any of them in my worship I don’t know just yet. I will ask the Holy Spirit for guidance as I take this course. I can say that I feel something about my relationship with God changing even as I was writing my respond to this question. I feel a much more personal and deeper relationship about to take place.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The God Most High means among all other gods, He is the highest in power and authority.

The King of kings

The Lord of lords

The One that is higher than the highest.

Stronger than the strongest.

Bigger than the biggest.

The One that has the earth as His footstool.

Omnipotent, Omnipresence, Omniscient, Alpha and Omega.

The One that knows the beginning from end and also the end from beginning.

The great provider, sustainer and helper.

Q2. Meditate on the title "Most High." What does it mean to you? How do you or will you incorporate it in your worship?

"Most High" means to me to refer to our Creator who stands alone as ruler of this world. My worship includes singing, loving, following with trust and faith the "Most High" God everyday of my life.

• 3 months later...

Most High means nothing else can be higher (more supreme) than God. He is the ultimate. Not only is He the creator but He is also the ruler and master.

It means everything to me to know that I am a child of the Most High God and I can go to Him at anytime for anything. It is very comforting and overwhelming at the same time.

In my prayer and worship time, I acknowledge that there is no other God but Him. He alone is worthy of all our praise and worship.

• 4 weeks later...

He is the Most High God, supreme over the Universe. It means I owe Him my worship and adoration. It means I need to fear Him in the biblical sense of the word: awe, wonder, worship, respect, adoration. He is the King of kings. He is the Lord of lords. There is no God but our God Most High. I owe Him my life and must obey Him joyfully and sacrificially in all that I think, say and do. He must be the King and Lord of my life. He must increase and I must decrease.

• 4 months later...

God Most High is that He is above all things in heaven and on earth. He is the one and only God who has my life mapped out. Last night I used God Most High in my prayer because I have been having trouble sleeping. That is the last thing I remember and I had a restful sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

The title God Most High corresponds in my mind to the concept of God as Holy. He is so much higher, so far beyond, so very "other" when compared to us (me). It awes and humbles me to contemplate the idea that the Most High cares about me, that He has reached out to seek and find me in my lost and sinful state, to save me and give me His Holy Spirit. One of my favorite passages was used in the lesson for this title. I love how it is rendered in the NKJ:

Ps 91:1-2

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High

Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress;

My God, in Him I will trust."

NKJV

If I am truly under the protection of the Most High, what harm could come to me? He keeps me safe and this is a great comfort.

Tanya

• 2 months later...

There is none above HIM, He is El Elyon the Exalted GOD beside HIM there is no other. No one no other god can even approach is supremacy. HE is the Most High and GOD all by HIMSELF. When I meditate on EL Elyon I see Elohim creator of all. HIS magesty, awesomness,completeness, all powerful, sovereignty. I feel like a sand pebble in beholding HIM and as a mountain in HIS love. He is GOD all by HIMSELF yet...HE loves me, Hallelujah! HE Lovse me.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As I think on the term Most High, it overwhelms my emotions.  Most High, He is higher than my problems.  Higher than my feelings.  Higher than anything we put in front of Him.  He conquers our fears and failures.  He conquers our sins and our enemies.  He conquers them because he is the Most High. And because He loves us. This means that I can run to him and seek shelter.  I know His arms are always open for me to lean in to.  It means I can come to Him with all the good things that happen to me and all the bad things that happen to me.  It means I can take my weaknesses to Him and He makes them my strengths. While I worship Him, the term Most High, reverberates through my body.  The only way I know how to express what Most High truly means to me is by worshiping Him. 

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. Meditate on the title "Most High." What does it mean to you?

To call God "The Most High" means that I acknowledge that there is no one and no thing higher in the order of things than Him. He created everything and since He created everything He is supreme over everything. Deserving and worthy of worship, praise and honor. He is the creator of the Heavenly lights and does not cause darkness by turning.

How do you or will you incorporate it in your worship?

Well, I call God "Heavenly Father" which is a more familiar term than Father in Heaven. Jesus told us to pray like that and it's good enough for me. By the Spirit in me I can cry Abba, which means Father. That's my right as a citizen of God's Kingdom. Jesus bought my citizenship with His death and resurresction. I, and every Christian, can call God "Dad" if we want to but I don't believe there's enough respect in that title. He's our God and our creator! We MUST show Him every respect. We have access to His throne room but that access was bought by Jesus' blood so I reckon I'll continue to show God respect when I pray to Him.

I suppose I could sometimes address God as The LORD Most High. As Christians I don't think it matters.

Some churches get hung up over that. One where my sister used to attend actually addressed God as "Father in Heaven" all the time.

One of the most powerful prayers in the New Testament was recorded in Acts when the Apostles prayed for boldness in the face of persecution. The Good News Bible has it thus:

Master, Creator of Heaven and Earth . . . I showed that to my sister because I was trying to get her to realize that her church was an actual cult that believed they and they only had the true way to God and salvation. They'd been involved in a deliverance from demonic possession ministry and made the fatal mistake of allowing a demon to talk to them through the possessed person. They'd hoped to get some inside information they could use against the kingdom of darkness but instead the demon told them a pack of believable gobbledygook that they took as true. That pack of lies, which the elders believed, caused the ruination of that church and its eventual demise. They wouldn't let their parishoners pray with clasped hands, with their legs crossed or feet crossed while sitting, while lying on their backs and they had to address God as Father in Heaven otherwise the prayers would be diverted to satan. Sounds unbelievable that committed strong Christians could be deceived but that's exactly what was going on there. I attended one of their services for the dedication of my sister's new baby and I could feel in my spirit the whole spirit of error that filled the place.

• 6 months later...

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.”
Surely He shall deliver me from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence.
He shall cover me with His feathers, and under His wings I will take refuge; His truth shall be my shield and buckler.
I will not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day,
Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.
A thousand may fall at my side and ten thousand at my right hand; but it shall not come near me.
Only with my eyes shall I look, and see the reward of the wicked.
Because I have made the LORD, who is my refuge even the
Most High, my dwelling place,
No evil shall befall me, nor shall any plague come near my dwelling;
For He shall give His angels charge over me, to keep me in all my ways.
In their hands they shall bear me up, lest I dash my foot against a stone.
I shall tread upon the lion and the cobra, the young lion and the serpent I shall trample underfoot.
“Because (Teri) has set her love upon Me, therefore I will deliver her; I will set her on high, because she has
known My name.
She shall call upon Me,and I will answer her; I will be with her in trouble; I will deliver her and honor her.
With long life I will satisfy her,And show her My salvation.”
Ps 91

This is my prayer, I  ALWAYS  acknowledge God as Most High, All Sovereign, Creator of heaven and earth, King over all dominion. For me this entire Psalm includes all of El Elyon among other names. In His Lordship over all things He includes promises that cover every area of trouble in our lives and the Most High God DELIVERS us from all the snares of the trapper (satan) Yes He is the Most High over ALL including the devil. But we must choose to Dwell in the secret place of the MOST HIGH and we must verbalize His Lordship speaking life in our words.

• 11 months later...

Q2. Meditate on the title "Most High." What does it mean to you? How do you or will you incorporate it in your worship?

There is no other God,  He is The God above all,  King above all kings !!   In prayer I will remember and acknowledge Him as The Most High, everlasting, all powerful God, Creator of everything.  He is The Strong & Powerful One,  exalted and worthy of all praise.   I will be more aware of the above facts when, through Jesus Christ, my Savior, I may enter boldly into His presence ! 

As I listened to songs suggested,  of which I know and could sing with,  as I read the scriptures and pondered on them, I am struck, once again, by Gods Greatness !  The wonderful realization that even though He, The Most High, dwells in high and holy places, He also dwells within me, because I accepted, acknowledge & confess  Jesus Christ as Son of the Living God,  Jesus my Savior!   Praising and worshiping Him will be more meaningful.

• 3 weeks later...

To me The Most High is all powerful, almighty. He is to be feared. The Most High is a supreme power that has been and always will be. He is the first and the last and there is none other like him. He is the one and only creator.

For the past year I am involved in a very small bible group and myself and the other two ladies address G-D as the Most High or Yaweh. It becomes more personal when you address someone by their name.

• 6 months later...

El Elyon, High and Holy One.  

It lifts Yahweh to His rightful place and lowers me to mine

Yahweh, I know you are near,
9/17/2007

Yahweh, I know you are near,
standing always at my side.
You guard me from the foe,
and you lead me in ways everlasting.

Lord, you have searched my heart,
and you know when I sit and when I stand.
Your hand is upon me protecting me from death,
keeping me from harm.

Where can I run from Your love?
If I climb to the heavens You are there;
If I fly to the sunrise or sail beyond the sea,
still I'd find You there.

You know my heart and its ways,
you who formed me before I was born
in the secret of darkness before I saw the sun
in my mother's womb.

Marvelous to me are Your works;
how profound are Your thoughts, my Lord.
Even if I could count them, they number as the stars,
You would still be there.

Author - Dan Schutte

"El Elyon" Lyrics [edit] by Paul Wilbur | from the album The Watchman  

You sit enthroned above the circle of the earth

Spreading out the heavens like a veil

You hold the universe so firmly in Your hand

Reaching out in love to all the world

El Elyon Most High God

Holy is Your Name

No one can know the secrets hidden in Your heart

Mysteries beyond the reach of man

No one else commands the sun to rise and then to fall

All creation heeds the great I AM

El Elyon Most High God

Holy is Your Name

Elohim El Shaddai

Yeshua Adonai

Let our glory of Your name be magnified

Lord Most High 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The Names of God, lesson 1

Q1: Meditate on the title "Most High".  What does it mean to you? What do you or will you incorporate it in your worship?

Most High means Supremely powerful!  Everything which exists was created by His spoken word! He is Sovereign over everyone, everything!  Nothing escapes His notice. Nothing is beyond His reach or His power!

This name helps me refocus when I'm feeling overwhelmed by life's troubles as I am now....and I remember He is on His Throne, sees it all, knows it all before it happens since He is outside of time (omnipotent, omniscient) and I have nothing to worry about because He loves me and will not allow anything to touch me without His permission. So when trouble comes, He intends to use it for good in shaping me into the image of Jesus, and I'm not alone! He is ever present with me, in me, around me. My loving Abba Father, my Shield and Strong tower, has promised to be my help in times of trouble, to carry me, to comfort me and to bring me through in victory. He cannot be defeated!

The only problem is that it takes me a bit of time to REMEMBER all of this when I'm hit with adversity. I tend to go to my default from abusive childhood (I'm all alone, I have no resources, there is no one to help or champion me, I'm afraid) But that time of fear is getting shorter and shorter...it used to be days, then hours. Now it usually only lasts for a short time. But what relief when the "fog" clears! Then the fear and isolation evaporate and His peace prevails and I can face whatever is looming.

In worship I've become too casual since discovering that I am His friend! This Name quickened in me the need and desire to focus on what this particular Name says about this facet of His Character and to praise and worship my Most High God and King....before I pour out my heart to Him.

• 2 months later...

The Augustness of his highness should cause me to be reverent and purposeful in my service to Him. So I consider what He desires, to be more important than anything else in life.Especially in worship. I'm reminded of Paul's exhortation to do all things decently and in order. I learn from God's exalted position that He is pleased with order, and intentional devotion and worship. Devotion in my personal life which equates to holy and pure living, and worship as He has prescribed in our assemblies.

• 3 months later...

The term most high to me means supremacy. He is the summit of everything. He is the author and perfector of faith. In my worship, i will always remember that there is none above Him. It will always be more of Him and less of me. 

• 8 months later...

To me, the title "Most High" means the Highest of all the heights. So 'God Most High' means that there could be other gods but the God of Abraham and Melchizedek is the highest of all the Gods, He is the greatest in all aspects, Power, Majesty, Splendor, Glory and so on.

• 6 months later...

El Elyon, God most high . For those who worship other gods,  this God is above them all.  The most high God is the one that matters and there is none other higher.  There is none other , period.  I believe God wants us to call him by his name when we seek him, because it honors  him.  He knows us by our names, so why wouldn't we call him by His?  I will incorporate his name in my prayers and my praise and my worship especially when I am praying with the sick and those who are requesting prayer.  The names of God were used in the bible as the names by his chosen people, what they called him in their languages.  We do not speak their language today so the interpretation of those names is what is being used rather than the actual names.  Jehovah- Lord,    Yahweh- Lord Jehovah,    Jehovah Rapha--the  Lord who heals.......  There is power in His name so we have to call on His name to receive it.  Anything we ask for in HIS NAME......... WE MUST CALL HIM by NAME to receive it.   JESUS,   the MOST HIGH.  

• 2 weeks later...

There are many so called gods .in this world, even today in our western culture, without actual idol mages.  The internet, tv, hobbies, even my own family and/or home can take priority in my life/mind, making them my gods.  Anything that gets my continual complete attention, things that consume my thoughts and time have become my gods.  Eloheim is the Most High God, the God of all these gods, and He alone is to get my continual complete attention.  He alone deserves my highest praise and adoration above all others, even my family.  My reason for living in this world is to glorify Him.  ....You alone are God.  There is no other.  You deserve the honor, and the glory.  You alone.  Forgive me, Father of glory, for the many times that I have put my own interests, even my home and family on the throne of my heart.  Those times that I exalted them instead of You.  Help me to live my life giving You the honor and the glory only You deserve.  Help me to keep things in Your perspective and not get caught up in the things of the flesh. Help me, Lord, to keep you on the throne of my heart.  In Jesus name.