JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Elisha and the Chariots

Pastor Ralph

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17) Why was Elisha's servant afraid? What was the difference between Elisha and his servant? What does it take for our eyes to be opened? How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle?

Elisha's servant could not see the army of the LORD, until Elisha prayed that his servan'ts eyes would be opened.

We walk by faith, not by sight. Yet, I think the prophets had a clearer understanding of who is in charge - than we do.

I John 4:4 "Ye are of GOD, little children, and have overcome them: (false prophets, spirit of antichrist) for greater is HE that is in you, than HE that is in the world." It strengthens me to know who GOD is, that I belong to HIM, that HE is undefeatable, and HE will work all things for good and for HIS glory.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17) Why was Elisha's servant afraid? What was the difference between Elisha and his servant? What does it take for our eyes to be opened? How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle?

Elisha's servant could not see the "army" that was with Elisha--guarding him, protecting him. Elisha had spiritual eyes that allowed him to see this "army", but his servant did not. We must be in close relationship with Christ/God, just as Elisha was. 1 John 4:4 tells us that we have one that is greater than the world on our side. We have "Commander of the Angel Army" on our side.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Elisha's servant could only see the physical realm, and was only counting on the fate that would be evident based on the apparent circumstances. Elisha could see the overwhelming power and strength of Yahweh-Sabaoth and His army. In 1 John 4:4, we see that Yahweh-Sabaoth accomplanies us today as we face this world, in no way less powerfully than He was to Elisha.

What does it take for our eyes to be opened? It seems to me that this will vary for everyone, and also even differently for the same person at different times in their lives. Having our eyes opened could range form anything as supernatural as literally seeing an army of angels, or as simple as only being able to see how God has worked after the trying circumstance has passed, sometimes even if you never had the faith or trust you should have had at all. What I would like to add is that many times, we must be content to place our trust in an invisible, yet everpresent God. Trust is built in the dark, and when we our surrounded by the burning radiance and glory of God, often the only way to have the darkness needed to practice trusting is to go into or through things with our eyes still shut.

Joh 20:29 Jesus said to him, Thomas, because you have seen Me you have believed. Blessed are they who have not seen and have believed.

Elisha's servant was afraid, because he did not see the army of the Lord. He only saw the army of the king of Aram surrounding the city. He probably understood they were coming for Elisha, which made him panick even more.

Elisha's calmed him down by saying that those who are with Elisha and the servant are more than the soldiers of the army of the king of Aram.

Elisha's servant looked at the situation with human eyes. Elisha looked at it with the eyes of God. Elisha prayed for the eyes of the servant to be opened and they were and he could see what Elisha saw from the start.

For our eyes to be opened and remain opened, we have to focus on God and stay very close to him, knowing and accepting that we are totally dependent on God and we need his guidance. We have to give him our hand, so He can lead us by the hand. Then we will learn to listen to the "still small voice" as the voice of the Lord is sometimes called. And then we will learn to hear and see things, not with our human eyes, but with the eyes of the Lord.

1 John 4:4 confirms that God's Spirit lives in us and that He is stronger than the spirit of the world. So if we get into a difficult situation in our lives and it seems we are surrounded, we need to know or remind ourselves that He who lives in us is far greater than he who is in the world. Again, this becomes possible when we focus on God and live in dependence on him.

Elisha's servant could only see the physical realm, and was only counting on the fate that would be evident based on the apparent circumstances. Elisha could see the overwhelming power and strength of Yahweh-Sabaoth and His army. In 1 John 4:4, we see that Yahweh-Sabaoth accomplanies us today as we face this world, in no way less powerfully than He was to Elisha.

What does it take for our eyes to be opened? It seems to me that this will vary for everyone, and also even differently for the same person at different times in their lives. Having our eyes opened could range form anything as supernatural as literally seeing an army of angels, or as simple as only being able to see how God has worked after the trying circumstance has passed, sometimes even if you never had the faith or trust you should have had at all. What I would like to add is that many times, we must be content to place our trust in an invisible, yet everpresent God. Trust is built in the dark, and when we our surrounded by the burning radiance and glory of God, often the only way to have the darkness needed to practice trusting is to go into or through things with our eyes still shut.

Joh 20:29 Jesus said to him, Thomas, because you have seen Me you have believed. Blessed are they who have not seen and have believed.

Hi Kaitlin... I take it you mean that Elisha's servant could not see the spiritual realm, ;) regards, jan

The servant was afraid both of what he could see and what he could not see. The only thing visible to him was the army that had surrounded the city. As far as he know it was just he and Elisha against an army. What he couldn't see was frightening as well. The Lord's army was preparing for battle.

The servant had never experienced anything like this before, but Elisha had. He had witnessed the "...chariots and horsemen of Israel!" take his mentor Elijah up to Heaven in a whirlwind (2 Kings 2: 11-12). He had seen firsthand the power of the Heavenly Host and he knew the battle was already won.

In order for our eyes to be opened, we must believe and understand that there are forces that come against us. These are "...powers of this dark world and...spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (Ephesians 6: 12) But we have allies in our fight. The Heavenly Host comes to defend us. The writer of Hebrews says that all angels are "...ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation." (Hebrews 1:14) How many dangerous instances in our life can we realize that we came through unscathed because God sent His Heavenly Host to protect us? When we realize that our Father will protect us when we ask Him, our eyes will be opened to the spiritual forces of Heaven.

When we realize that the obstacles we see are not obstacles at all to our Father, we should be overjoyed that we don't even have to fight the battle. Jesus has overcome death, so how could any problem we have be too hard for Him? And because He loves us so much, we know that we can bring anything to Him in prayer and He will listen. Jesus is in us, and is greater that anyone or anything the world can throw at us.

• 2 weeks later...

Elisha's servant only saw the adversaires army and not the Lord's army that was protected them. Elisha had faith and believed in God's protection and his servant saw what was there. To ask God to remove the veil covering our eyes and know that GOd is for us. Knowing that the Almighty Warrior is on our side and we use our strength in God to Overcome.

• 6 months later...

The city they were in was surrounded by a vast army with horses and chariots. God had revealed to Elisha the army of hosts that God provided to defeat the Arameans.

It takes prayer, mediating and studying scripture, and submitting ourselves to God completely and humility -- with faith that delivers -- to open our eyes. To be really spiritually sensitive.

"You dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." The presence and power of the Holy Spirit is greater than satan, fallen angels, and the world that I currently exist in.

• 4 weeks later...

He didn't see into the spirtuals as Elisha did - His eyes were blind to what God was doing. He wasn't walking as close to the Lord.

Elisha loved the Lord with all His heart, mind and soul. He sought after the Lord. His desire was to serve Him with everything he had. That is why he received the double annointing from Elijah.

We must seek God with everything that is within us.

Deuteronomy 4:29

But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul.

Ephesians 1:17

that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him,

1 Chronicles 28:9

• 3 weeks later...

The servant did not know that God was in control. Elisha knew that God would protect him and the servant saw only the enemies surrounding them and Elisha saw the hosts of the Lord surrounding them. It takes the faith of a mustard seed to see that God has ultimate power. (I

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Elisha's servant was afraid of the armies from the enemies and that he was afraid they may be killed because he neither saw nor heard any means to defend them. The difference between Elisha and his servant is that his servant was spiritually blind whereas Elisha was spiritually enlightened. It takes our undivided, unwavering, total faith in God to have our eyes opened. According to John 4:4, as a Christian I know that the One in me is greater than the one in the world. Therefore in every battle I am assured of victory. So I do not waver in my belief and faith in Him.

• 1 month later...

Elishas servant was afraid because he only saw the physical aspect in other words what is seen only.

He did not have faith in God as Elisha did. if he could be having a stronger faith He Could have seen the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha" (2 Kings 6:15-17). (Without elisha praying for him so that God could open His eyes for him to see)

and hence he would be bold for he would have known the battle was not his but the Lord's.

The Diffrence between Him and Elisha was that Elisha walked well with God and He had faith that God would deliver Him from His enemies,that faith opened His eyes and made him see the Great army of the Lord of Hosts Hence He was not terrified.

Having faith in God helps us to have our eyes opened for the bible tells us that faith is the substance for things which are not seen.

1john 4:4

It strenghtens me by giving me assuarance in that it Helps me to understand that God is inside of me & with me ,so my battles are no longer mine alone but God's and He will fight for me for He is the Lord of Hosts.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17) Why was Elisha's servant afraid?

The servant could see the best of the Syrian troops had surrounded them with their horses and chariots.

What was the difference between Elisha and his servant?

The servant lacked the faith of Elisha, so what he saw was the reality of the enemy

who had surrounded them, and that is all he could see.

What does it take for our eyes to be opened?

Knowing God's Word, and Abiding in our faith in God Almighty.

How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle?

1Jn 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

We who are in Christ have overcome the enemy, BUT the battle isn't over with. The enemy has surrounded us and are ready

to kill and destroy God's people; BUT God's Spirit, the Holy Spirit ,is living in us, and He is much greater than the prince of this world.

This strengthens my faith.

God has also given to us His armor, for us to put on. If we are to fight the good fight, we have to put the armor of God on,

even if we cannot see with our eyes the evil powers surrounding us, as the servant of Elisha couldn't see God's army surrounding them; we

know they the enemy are there ready to kill and destroy our faith, our trust in God Almighty, BUT we know who lives in us, One that is

greater than he that is in the world. We serve an awesome God.

• 1 month later...

Elisha's servant was afraid because he did not know that the Lord and His Host was with them, and thus he thought he would be destroyed by the enemy. The difference between Elisha and his servant is that Elisha knows the Lord is with him, and he puts utter trust and faith in God, therefore his eyes are open to the help that God gives him. For our eyes to be opened, it takes utter trust and faith in God. 1 John 4:4 strengthens our spiritual battle by letting us know that God and those who trust in Him are better and stronger than the mightiest here on earth.

• 3 weeks later...

Elisha's servant was afraid because he could not see with his spiritual eyes until the Lord opened them. The difference between the two is that Elisha knew and trusted the Lord Almighty and took Him at His word. For me, for my eyes to be opened, it took going through a major trial to realize who God really was and who I was in Him. 1 John can strengthen me in my spiritual battle because I know in whom I serve, my Lord and Savior is always with me, the Holy Spirit lives in me to teach and guide me, and greater is He that lives in me then he that lives in the world. Our God is greater than anything or anyone. We have our victory through Christ Jesus.

His Servant, saw in the physical, the King and his army surrounding the city that they were in. Elisha not only saw the physical army, but he could also see the Army of the Lord and the host that was with him.

Walking in the spirit and not in our flesh, to have a close relationship to Yahweh and feeding on His spiritual food of His word.

1Jn 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world

Tells us that we have a greater power within us than in this world, and with that knowledge, we know who we are in Messiah, and put on the armour of Yahweh, and realize that our battle is not of this world but in the spiritual realm and we don't see the enemy with physical eyes, but we need to see them with our spiritual eyes.

Q2. (2 Kings 6:13-17) Why was Elisha's servant afraid?

He saw only the huge army surrounding the city when he went out in the morning.

What was the difference between Elisha and his servant?

His servant was limited by having only human sight and wisdom, while Elisha could see into the spiritual realm.

What does it take for our eyes to be opened?

The desire to SEE, and prayer to have our spiritual eyes opened. The Lord opened his eyes so that he could see God's host and fire surrounding them...greater than the army threatening them.

How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle?

To remember that God is for me, and lives in me and is greater than any enemy I face. He promises that I have already defeated and overcome Satan and his workers..demonic or human, through the blood of Jesus. Jesus is the Mighty Warrior, the Lord of the host of Heaven with drawn sword.....I LOVE that promise, and the knowledge that He fights for me.

It was plain to see with human eyey that they were completely outnumbered.

Elisha looked at things in faith of GOD's promises and with spiritual eyes seeing as GOD does not as our human efforts do.

GOD opens our eyes as we ask and receive in faith and trust.

to stay focused on kingdom principles not on circumstances or feelings. GOD almighty is already victourious in my life and He has overcome all that I will go through. my battles belong to GOD and He will not let anything happen to me that is not part of His plan and purpose for my life. Good bad and inbetween GOD always knows what is best even when I can't see as He does.

Why afraid? Because all he saw was the might of the opposing army and the enormity of the problem. Anyone would have doubted success in the face of such opposition!!!

Dif. b/t Elisha and his servant? While the servant trusted in what he saw, the prophet Elisha trusted in what he could not see but what he knew to be true through his faith in what God had said and Who God was...the mighty One...the Lord of Host...El Shaddai.

For our eyes to be opened.....it takes a knowledge of the Word.....a belief that the Word is true....and projecting the faith in that Word into all situations.

1 John 4:4 being an overcomer requires that I know that He that is within me is greater than he that is in the world. God is greater.....the world is lesser.

Sandra

• 4 months later...

Elisha's servant was afraid because he saw with the natural eye the armies surrounding them. Elisha could see the armies of the Lord surrounding King Arams army. He had spiritual eyes and his servant did not which was why he prayed that his servant be given "eyes to see." I think that when things are overwhelming we need to see with eyes of faith. Most of the time things are going fairly good for us and we don't think about faith. But, when something happens we need to be able to see God in the midst of it.

Greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. When you realize that Christ is in you, you know that He has overcome whatever or whomever is bothering you. I know from experience that when I was having a difficult time and wondering what to do this scripture came to mind and a peace came over me because I knew it was true.

• 2 weeks later...

Why was Elisha's servant afraid? Because he could not see God's army.

What was the difference between Elisha and his servant? God had given Elisha the priveledge of seeing spiritual things with physical eyes.

What does it take for our eyes to be opened? I have been a believer for 14 years. I have never seen the spiritual realm with my human eyes. The only way I know to "see" is by believing scripture. It comes down to faith - faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

How can 1 John 4:4 strengthen you in your spiritual battle? I can't see with my physical eyes any battle, but i believe by faith that there is one because scripture says so. I also than must believe and remember 1John 4:4