JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Psalm 8

What does this psalm teach us about God?

That he is the creator of everything and yet he cares for even me

What does it teach us about human beings?

That we are such a big part of God's plan for the world. He places us just below the heavenly angels and puts us in charge over creation. We know we are just lowly man but God rates us so much more.

What does it teach us about Christ?

He was willing to humble himself to our level and humble himself even further to die on that cross to bridge the gap for us.

What does it teach us about our responsibilities?

That we are to take care of what has been entrusted to us with God being part of it by letting him lead us as he wishes.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Psalm 8). What does this psalm teach about God?

The Psalm teaches that God, compared to His humongous creation is greater, but yet He is ever concerned about His creation.

What does it teach about human beings?

The Psalm teaches that we are weak and minute in comparison to God's majesty as shown in His creation that is humongous.

The Psalm teaches that Jesus came in the form of man. He made Himself lower than the angles in order that the plan and purpose of God may be fulfill.

What does it teach about our responsibilities?

That our chief purpose is to serve God and to rule responsibly over His creation, the work of his hands. Our rule is never independent of God, but in submission to God.

what do I learn from Psalms 8 about God, humanity, Christ, my responsibilities?

All last night, I struggled with a mosquito biting me so now I have small mosquito bumps on my hands and legs. At first, I prayed, Lord, this is one of your creations, make this thing stop bothering me. Then, I realized how frivolous this prayer is.

Reading Psalms 8, I reflect on how much like that mosquito I am to God. Meaning I am that small. Though I have no care about this small mosquito and would rather the thing be dead than alive, God is not like that at all. God deeply cares for me. (Psalms 8:4). God is soo awesome and amazing. He is afterall the Creator of all.

Humanity - we have sooo much favor from the Lord. God has made us just a little lower than the angels. God has given us great power. Yet, not because of anything that we have done. It is God's graciousness alone. (Psalms 8:4 again.)

Our responsibilities are:

1) to praise the Lord -- Psalms 8:2

2) to humble ourselves, remembering God's graciousness and our status (both small -- as in Psalms 8:4 and large -- as in Psalms 8:5, 6)

3) to take care of the earth and all of the things on the earth. This includes being careful not to pollute the environment, to recycle, to grow food responsibly, etc. Psalms 8: 6-8

Of Christ, I learn what a great sacrifice it was for God to lower himself in human form, to the status of that which He created. On earth, Christ was God in the flesh. What an amazing example of discipline and humility.

Q1. (Psalm 8). What does this psalm teach about God?

O LORD (Yahweh) our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.

When Moses asked God, "when I come to the children of Israel who shall I say sent me?"

Exo 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

David is praising his God, the Eternal One. The God of his fathers Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Everywhere is his name excellent, the universe cannot contain His glory, words cannot describe what is in the name of our "Lord" - look at the beauty found in His fingers as seen in His creation, and of the universe in all its wonder!

Exo 3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, (Lord -Yahweh) hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

In all the excellence of His creation God created mankind a little lower than the angels, mankind was to rule over His creation, God "crowned him with glory"

God created mankind, (Adam and Eve) in His image, but mankind sinned -

Gen 5:1-3 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; male and female created he them, and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created. And Adam lived a hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image.

When sin came into mankind, we were no longer created in the image of God, this is why we must be born again, we need to be brought back into a covenant relationship with Yahweh.

Yahweh loved mankind that He sent His only Son Jesus to be made a little lower than the angels, so Jesus could take back the dominion over God's creation that mankind lost. Jesus was crowned with God's glory and it is through Him we are being created once again into His image.

How excellent is Your name in all the earth!

Now that we are being created in God's image, it is our responsibility to put on all the armor of God, so we can be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. The I Am loves us so much,

O LORD (Yahweh) our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.

The Psalm teach us about the majesty, glory and power of God. I reflect back to Genesis 1:1: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. God cares for us, He did not forget us. God had a place for us in His creation. We have to be responsible. We are nothing apart from Him. Christ humbled himself and became man to restore us. Our responsibility is to be good steward over what God created and placed in our care. We are to honor God in all that we do.

this psalm teaches that God is the one to whom the greatest majesty and glory can be ascribed. and this is reflected in His creation.

yet, even though we human beings seem insignificant, in Him, through Him we ARE significant.

this psalm teaches us that God made Christ lower than the heavenly beings - for our sake.

our responsibility is to take God's command and live as rulers of this earth

What Psalm 8 teaches about God is that God is the "Creator"of everthing.God the all-powerful Creator.God created human beings only a little lower than himself or the angels.God considers us highly valuable.

Jesus became human,just like us.God sent Jesus to this earth,for us.To save us from our sins.Jesus is the only person who perfectly reflects God's image.Our responsibilities as human beings is,God has given us a tremendous responsibility to take care of the whole earth,verse 6,7,and 8 tell us that.We should care for God's creation,use our resources wisely.I am sure we constanly disapoint Him.We must highly respect what God has given us.

Q1. (Psalm 8). What does this psalm teach about God? What does it teach about human beings? What does it teach us about Christ? What does it teach about our responsibilities?

Psalm 8 teaches that God is omnipotent, creator of the heavens and earth - all things.

It teaches that God, despite his majesty concerns himself with humans. Our responsibilities as God-made beings are to rule over beasts, birds and fish.

Psalm 8 has always been a favourite of mine... and that's because of the amazing fact that God wwho is so powerful and righteous and is the Creator of all...

Still has us little humans who are so needed... and small on His mind...

He considers us.... and stop and think of the greatest of God and the compareson of who we are... but HE still consdires Us.... :)

What does this psalm teach us about God?

It teaches us about the excellence of His Name. It is not treated as excellent on this earth but His Name is excellent. It teaches us about His glory. We see it in His Word and in His creation but in heaven we shall see Him as He is.

We are His creation, not of ourselves it is He who made us. He made us a little lower than the angels and gave us rule over every living thing.

Christ humbled Himself to become man to save man and in so became a little lower than the angels and is crowned with glory and honor. He is now at the right hand of God. He is my Lord and Savior!

What does it teach us about our responsibilities?

We are to serve and honor God by how we treat His creation. The verse that says all creation groans is to me rather telling as to how we are doing.

God Bless!

Jen

Nehemiah 9:6

This Psalms teaches that God is Supreme, he's the most high God, He love us, he's the Majestic and is great.

Psalm 8 also teaches us that Human Being are precious in the sight of God and because he love us, he die just for our sins.

Psalsm 8 also teaches us that Jesus became human, just a little lower than the Heavenly beings and He will raise all who belong to Him above the Heavenly beings when He comes to reign over the new Heaven and new earth, Jesus is the only Person who perfectly reflects God's image( Galatians 2:20, Colossians 1:15. )

Finally it teaches us that we are responsible to serve as ruler over everything that the Lord made, and because he made us in his image and likeness, we have so much authority as children of His.

:)Q1. (Psalm 8). What does this psalm teach about God? What does it teach about human beings? What does it teach us about Christ? What does it teach about our responsibilities?

This Psalm teaches us that God should be our Lord( Lord meaning maker over all we do and say ie our actions and speech.)

The psalm teaches us that God's name is great and we should lift it up before people in praise and prayer with honor.

The psalm teaches us to be humble and praise him. If we don't children and rocks and hills etc... will praise Him.

The psalm teaches about human beings that we were made a little lower than the heavenly beings.

The psalm teaches that we were crowned with glory and honor by our maker God.

The pslam teaches we were made to be rulers ( protectors and keepers ) over God's creation.

The Pslam teaches us it is our responsibility to praise God and honor him

The psalm teaches us to care for and took over and protect God's creation as far as the earth and soil

plants, animals and other humans that he made . Do what we can to care and protect them, and the

created animals and plants and sea creatures. We are responsible for keeping what he put on earth

well and good as he made it.

Q1. (Psalm 8). What does this psalm teach about God? What does it teach about human beings? What does it teach us about Christ? What does it teach about our responsibilities?

It teaches us about God's majesty. It teaches us that man is finite and God is infinite. It teaches us about Jesus' passion. It teaches us to be good stwards. :)

This psalm teaches us how very BIG our God is.

It teaches He loves us & has chosen us.

It showed just how much Christ loved us--to die for us & to place us with Him.

Our responsibility is to take care of the world He has given us.

This psalm teaches us of God's vastness. How He can use our weaknesses to show His strength. This Psalm also teaches His love for us, when we consider all His creation, yet He knows everything about us, even down to the number of hairs on our head. It shows us Christ's humility, to come down from heaven and become a man, so we could experience God's love. Finally, our responsibilities are to take care of this beautiful creation, the earth, and all that is in it.

What this Psalm teaches:

About God; He is the all-powerful creator, majestic and worthy of all praise.

About human beings; When we look at the vast expanse of creation, how can God be concerned for us as humans who constantly disappoint Him, yet we are created only a little lower than Himself or the angels. We have tremendous authority, we are in charge of the whole earth. When we look at creation, we often feel small by comparison and that is a healthy way to get back to reality, but God doesn't want us to dwell on our smallness, with our humility comes proper respect for God. We have great worth because we bear the stamp of the Creator.

About Christ; That He took on human form and He perfectly reflects God's image.

About our responsibilities; with the authority God has given us comes great responsibility to use our resources wisely because as stewards of the earth we are held accountable.

About God: He is Lord. He is majesty, as well as His Name. He is infinite(v.2)-that is, beyond His own creation. His own glory is separate from our finite world.

v.2 It is God who "ordains" praise-we as human beings cannot praise God with thoughts and words that originates within ourselves.

He is in control of us and our circumstances as well as our enemies.

v.3 There is nothing He has not created.

About human beings: We are nothing, we have nothing, we can do nothing except by God's will, His power, His good pleasure-no matter what we think of ourselves and our abilities etc.

Everything begins with God. He is attentive to us because He is sovereign God. Nothing we can do can prompt God to consider who we are.

About Christ: He is God. vs.1 and vs.9

About our responsibilities: We are to be good stewards of the gift of God's creation (vss. 9-8) but not worship the creation which would be idolatry.

He is the "God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth". Although we are so tiny in the scope of God's creation he cares for us. Christ by being made lower than the heavenly beings became more glorified and honored. God has given us a job with responibilities. We are part of his plan.

The Psalm Teaches about God's Majestic Name.His Name is Above Every name Graet & Awesome

God made human little lower than angel but gave great privileges of kingdom

It teaches about christ whom God made to sit above all

To serve God by ruling responsibly over his creation, the work of God's hands. Our rule is never independent of God, but in submission to God.

What does this psalm teach about God?[/b]

I couldn't begin to explain what this psalm is teaching me about God. I will say though, that He is. Now, attempting to explain further, I believe God is so Majestic, so Omniscent, and so Righteous, that even if I thought I could explain Him or this psalm, I would be wrong. Although, I do believe the more I read this chapter, the more God will reveal its meaning to me, each time something more, I didn't notice before.

I'm truly a babe in knowing God, but am excited to keep up, so when Dr. Wilson asked this question, I went back and re-read the chapter over and over again, then I thought of the first two verses of the Lord's Prayer, (Matt. 6:9, 10; Our Father, Who Art in Heaven, Hollowed be Thy Name, Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done, in Earth as it is in Heaven.), those two verses alone say He's to be exalted and honored.

I can truthfully and honestly say, it's God's glory and man's honor, who am I not to exalt Him, or acknowledge Him waking up and lying down. I also thought about (Revelation 4:8-11; the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come . And when those beasts give glory and honor and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created). This is their sole purpose for being created, for eternily.

This teaches me that there's none other, save Him the Almighty, Who were not created but is, and always will be. He must be worshipped, He's the Ancient of Times. Next, I believed whatever man thinks or believes is weak, or can be manipulated, God literally use as strength, or to confounding man, leaving him perplexed; man than reasons, how could I have not known or thought, this or that? Man become defensive, who're you? I'm number #1, you can't tell me, I'll kick your butt. I'm bad, I'm bright, intelligent, gifted, a thinker... ahh yes, a genius. How soon we forget, how fast we become angry, how much hatred we harbor, until it happens to us, that's when we come calling His migthy Name. For God's sake! Jesus Christ! Help! Save me! Why am I always being dumped on? If you are God, you wouldn't allow this to happen to me. I hate You! Where's our resolve? Who are we to question God? Why can't we simply believe that He is, and let Him be glorified through us? Ummmm....

Inaddition, our love for our parents was misused, our sibling relationships misguided, our family values were lost long ago, our neighborly relations caught in a snare, our love for ourselves misunderstood, how could I love another? Who's God? No one shared or truly instilled God, or even taught that God was love. GOD is Love! God's Word do tell me, I hated him, but how can this be, I ask? Well, by reading His Word daily, seeking the Kingdom of Heaven, seeking to have a personal relationship with Jesus our Savior, and knowing the Love God has for me, and that His intentions were for me, to have good health and prosper here on earth, and in the next life with Jesus. I now know that I hated God since conception, even though, He Loved me from the beginning.

Now I pray, forgive me Lord for hating you, I'm a sinner, I now repent my sins known and unknown.

So, I imagine this is what this chapter teaches me, that God is LOVE, and He Loves us all, and that the battle is His. Amen!

Lastly, I forget myself sometimes, that God is GOD, and that I'm merely a man, created by God for his purpose, and I now know that even in my weakest state as a man, in Him I'm Strong.

P.S. I hope I didn't go into left field you guys, and if I did I apologize, with regard Walter.

This chapter (Psalm 8:2-8). Though somewhat obsure, this seems to emphasize that even very young children recognize God's majesty. Looking back at Genesis 1:26-30, humans are very highly regarded (cf: Job 17:17-18 and Ch. 26). To reiterate this chapter, tells how much God loves what He created, fully knowing man would fall from grace, yet He knew that what He had created was good. God also had a plan to redeem man through the person of Himself, Jesus Christ, from the beginning. ([cf: John 14:8-11). In short, this shows us how human beings stands before the deity and appreciates the greatness and power of the Divine.

This chapter clearly says that Jesus is Head of the Church, and that all things has been put under his feet, and that He has been given Glory and Honor. Jesus is ruler over all things for the benefit of the church. Lastly, Jesus is the divinely appointed ruler over the entire universe for the church's benefit. CF: Gen. 1:26, 28; 1 Cor. 15:25-27; Heb. 2:7-8; Psa. 110:1; Matt. 28:18.

We must worship and honor God our creator. We must be thankful of the very air we breath, for it may not be here tomorrow. We must convene with our Lord Jesus and seek first the Kingdom of God, so that all else will be given to us freely. Lastly but not least, we must believe in the birth, death, and the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. Our responsibilities is to Him and Him only, there's no other way. Grace is free, we cannot earn it, so through Him we are redeem, amen.

This Psalm 8 reminds me of a song I used to sing long time ago. I remember the tune but can't seem to get the lyrics right. But anyway, this Psalm certainly teaches us that God has the reputation as the best - creator and lover of mankind - in all the earth and even above the heavens. He values human beings as his most prized creation and possession.

Due to this reputation, people - both weak and strong- cannot help but sing praises to his name. God have put men above his wonderful creation. This is difficult for men to understand because they feel small compared to all the things that God created. They are at awe because God trust them and had placed them responsible over the things of the world.

In this Psalm, Christ is reflected as a humble person, who came to die for all our sins. He did this so that we can have that wonderful relationship with the creator.

We must not take this responsibility for granted. We must justify the trust the creator has in us - by appreciating his creation -the nature, the surroundings and even our own selves.

What does this psalm teach about God?

[/color]That He is superior to all things. That he loves us and that we should praise Him with His name on our lips. Doing so makes even a child more powerful than an enenmy.

[b]What does it teach about human beings? [/b]

We are loved and are set above other froms of life. We are to rule over these others responsibly.

He humbled himself in becoming a human form and dying a shamful death. He was given as a gift unto us.

through responsible rule we are to serve God in submission to Him, not independant of Him

What does this psalm teach about God? What does it teach about human beings? What does it teach us about Christ? WHat does it teach about our responsiblities?

this psalm teaches us about God that He created the creation of all the heavens and even all the earth,he created everything that we have.He wants to include us in all this glory and in all of His plans.What this psalm teaches us as human beings is that we are weak and we can become enemies of Christ if we are not in His plan and have that relationship with Him.We are like infants and children that are frail and then we can be taken care of by the Father and Christ the Son.What the psalm teaches about Christ is that He took on the sacrifice by becoming human and paying the price at the Cross on Calvary.What it teaches us about our responsiblites is that we are to have perspective and passion in the things that God has put into our lives and in our hands too

One thing I learned about God through Psalm 8 is that He can use even what the world views as weak to silence His enemies. It also teaches us that the Lord is responsible for our authority over the things in this world, it is not of ourselves, and that He thinks of us and cares for us. There is a song called "Friend of God" that mentions this, and about how amazing it is that the Lord of the universe chooses to call us friends.

Psalm 8 teaches us that humans are created only a little lower than God (NLT) and have been given charge of everything the Lord has made. We also see the relationship between God and humans, as I wrote above.

Through this psalm we learn that Jesus was made lower for a little while in order to show the complete love of God for humanity. What an example of humility!

Finally, we see first a responsibility to praise God. Verse 1 says that the majesty of the Lord's name fills the earth, and I think that speaks to our responsibility to give praise to His name. He is worthy of all of our honor and praise, and we should be filling the earth with it. This is also reflected in verse 2 in which we see the Lord has taught children and infants to give Him praise. In addition to praising the Lord, we have been given authority over His creation. I have heard that this is used as an argument for Christians to get involved in the so-called "Green Movement," but notice that we are given charge over the earth, but are not called to care for it. That's not to say that we should be irresponsible in our treatment of the earth, but it is not a command of God to care for the survival of animals or oceans or air. We are told in Genesis to subdue what is in the earth and fill it with people. That's it. Christ told his disciples to go out to the ends of the earth and make disciples of all people. I think this is much more important that making sure the hole in the ozone doesn't grow another centimeter. The souls of the lost should be our highest priority. The earth will soon pass away, but there is still an eternity to be lived, and we should be putting all of our energy and time into getting people ready.