JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 19

THE COMMON THREAD IS GOD REVEALING HIMSELF THROUGH HIS CREATION AS WELL AS THROUGH HIS WRITTEN WORD.DAVID TRULY HAS A LOVE FOR THE WRITTEN WORD AND BASKS IN THE WONDER OF GOD'S CREATION ; HE SEES THE WORD AS MORE PRECIOUS THAN GOLD. LATELY, I FEEL THAT WAY A LOT. I ALSO LIVE CLOSE TO THE OCEAN AND I FEEL SO SMALL EVERY TIME I GO THERE.I THINK DAVID CLEARLY SEES THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE WORD AND THE GLORY OF CREATION; HE SEES GOD IN THE MAJESTY OF HIS CREATION, THE HEAVENS, THE SKY AND THE SUN.THIS SEEM TO CAUSE HIM TO WANT TO POUR OUT HIS LOVE TO GOD FOR WHO HE IS AND WHAT HE HAS DONE.BEFORE I GOT SAVED, I NEVER TRULY APPRECIATED CREATION BECAUSE I DIDNT KNOW CHRIST. NOW CREATION SEEMS SO ALIVE TO ME.DAVID ASKS GOD IN VERSE 14 TO HELP HIM WITH THE WORDS OF HIS MOUTH AND THE THOUGHTS IN HIS HEART. GLORY...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Psalm 19 represents a progression from God's self-revelation in nature, to His self-revelation to his chosen people (be they a physical nation or the Church), to the personal relationship between God and those whom He has saved by His grace.

To the psalmist,very clever, exceedingly wise, and finally good. God has been so very generous in sharing this universe of wonders with the rest of us. God wants us to enjoy the variety of splendours he made. We should count ourselves as profoundly blessed just to have the ability to see it all. So, lift up your heads, and see the stars above.

God didn't want us to miss the glories of creation. So he gave us eyes to see creation's glories and ears to hear its chorus of praise

And throughout

• 2 weeks later...
Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?
The common thread that is see is the awesome power of God, and when you sit back and think what God has done and you take His word to live by, it can be refreshing to the soul. and if apply what verse to myself I can only pray the things that I do are acceptable in God sight

• 1 month later...
Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

The Lord is so rightoust , his message is the same to all of us regardless of race, color, or creed. If we just follow his message we will be truly blessed. The psalmist is asking that the Lord give him a clean heart and mind so that he want commit any form of sin

The common thread connecting verses 1-6 and 7-13 is the perfection and power of God. Verses 7-13 show that power and perfection as it relates to humans, he human relationship to God. The Psalmist basks in God's word because he is able to receive it and live and praise accordingly. He is "thy servant" in verses 11 and 13. He asks God to accept him in verse 14.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The common thread I see is the testimony of God - the heavens speak of God; Scripture speaks of God. If you want to know Him, look around, and look in His Word.

In verse 6, we are reminded that nothing is hidden from Him. That is why it is even more important that our words and thoughts be acceptable to Our Lord.

• 2 weeks later...

1.) What is the common thread of verses 1-6 to 7-13. It is God speaking to us. Through all of Gods creation, the heaven, stars, and sun He is speaking to us (without words) as and through the Law (word) He is speaking to us. The heavens, stars, and sun are continual reminders of God. Verse 4 "their line" (inheritance) will go on continually. If we study the stars we will gain much knowledge about God The Law is the Torah which means instruction for the law of God, its value cannot be compared to anything else. It provides the key to wisdom, joy and eternal life.

2.) In his meditation he realizes the value of scripture and that it is incomparble, should be desired more than gold and is sweeter than honey

3.) Oh Yes, there times, when no-one and nothing else will do. I just want to dwell in his presence and bask in his glory

4.) It has the psalmist considering his own faults and sins He asks God to deliver him

5.) He wants his very thoughts and words to be approved by God

• 3 weeks later...

:rolleyes:

the law of the lord is perfect reviving the soul the statues of the lord are trustworthymaking the the simple wise he always gives us joy to the heartgod is more precious than gold he gives us light to our eyes the phalmsmisist seems to bask in chapter 8 like a champion rejoyicing to run his course it rises to the heavens and makes its circut to the otherdavid is asking the lord to help him to have a pure and clean heart and mouth to be clean verse 14 may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleaseing in your sight o lord my rock and my redeamer

• 1 month later...

The Word, John 1:1-5 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

This Psalm shows that the Word is God, that God created the universe through His Word, and then He gave us His Word both in the son -the Rock (v.14) and in the Bible. Have I ever basked in God's word? Yes, I love to study His Word, and often it speaks to me as I read it. My day is not right if I have not spent some time in His Word. David wants His Words and the Meditation of his heart to be pleasing to God, His Rock and Redeemer. Romans tells us Romans 1:20-21 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened. That no one who has ever experienced creation can justify not knowing God, for His creation speaks of Him. David understands the importance of Words - Words can create and they can destroy. Our words in our minds and hearts need to be His Words.

Heather

• 2 months later...

Verses 1-6 speak of God's glory as revealed to all the world, in verses 7 to 13 the emphasis shifts to our knowledge of God as revealed in His law. Verses 11-13 shift to the psalmist, how the words affect him. The "great reward" of verse 11, but also the concern which builds in the next 2 verses that we need to to more, that we do not understand the law as well as we need to. We come at the end through the prayer in verse 14 to realize that it is only through GOD that we can hope to understand the law.

• 4 weeks later...

The first six verses describe the Law of the Lord as it relates to the whole of creation. Then he focuses specifically on how the Law of the Lord appeals to him, as a human. This is much like the order in Genesis 1: first all of creation is described, and then the story "zooms in" on man. It is amazing to him, just like it is to me, that the same God which made the universe to work in such a beautiful and quirky way has a law that guards the life of my soul as well. This brings the psalmist into a sublime adoration of God's handiwork, inside and out. The prayer he prays grows from that spirit of worship. The psalmist wants his heart to be as God would have it, for after seeing the sheer beauty and majesty of the Lord, he knows that what He wants, in His infinie wisdom, is the thing that is best. He asks God to keep him from sin, whether it be intentional or unintentional.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part.

What is it? I feel that the common thread is that nothing that happens is without God's knowledge. We have to understand that there are times when we do things wrong not even intending to purposely do so. This psalms reminds us that we have to understand that the Lord is perfect while we strive for perfection is His eyes.

In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? He lets us know that God's and Jesus's love are perfect and that it is there to protect and guide us. It also assures us that a relationship with God/Jesus is to be desired more than all the riches that we can imagine.

Have you ever felt that way? Yes, i have, but unfortunately it came at a very low time in my life when I felt that my whole world was coming to an end. It took me a while to understand that no matter what I am never alone and that God sees what I am going through and brings me peace and comfort during those times.

How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm?

He realizes that by living in God's Word, we are able to have a life of abundance and fullfillment. He also shows us that God is always just and that the unjust will eventually be dealt with in God's time.

In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do? I believe that David is asking God to find his words and the thoughts/feelings of his heart to be acceptable in his sight for he looks at the Lord as his "strength and redeemer."

Thank you,

Love Jesus

• 1 month later...

The words 'declare' 'sheweth' and 'knowledge' of verse 1 speak to the 'law of the Lord' in verse 7. I can't see any seperation of these thoughts. It seems to be an imbelishment of Ps 1:1-3 which gives the answers to life's fulfillment. Especially verse 2 'his delight is in the law of the Lord'.

To repeat from Saturday's session: I't still after all these years amazes me that not only would God give us the command to worship Him but the precise instrution as to how to best do this. Our ability to connect with the creator of this world, just little 'ol me!!! is exciting beyond description. I don't find any confusion in the 1st & 2nd parts. One tells us about praising Him where the 2nd tells us why we are to praise. His laws & precepts are perfect and His Words are truth unto life. The fear spoken here is as an awe not fright. Keeping me clean before Him & worthy to be called Hid child. What would any of us deny our child when they are being true, not requiring an adjustment in attitude? My olny purpose is to show God how much I love & appreciate Him. My only fear is that I might not.

• 2 weeks later...

The difference between vs. 1-6 and 17-14 are simply that David began describing the creation of God and how glorious it is. He then becans to speak about the word of God. Both sets of scripture are really tied together through Davids awe in God's majesty and his praise of God. He 1st speaks about the work then prays that God keep him righteous (v13 & 14). David is fully aware that he is by no means perfect, and he knows that the only one that can keep him on the straight and narrow is his creator.

Verses 1-6 The awesomeness of God's creation, no words can describe the greatness of what God has created in the universe. Verses 7-13 describe God's laws in relation to His creation, to how God's laws relate to man. David meditates on the granduer of God's creation, and realizes his connection with God, that through the law of God, his faults seen and unseen are revealed to Him through God's law, that through the laws of God he can be redeemed from sin, and shall be innocent of great transgressions. Verse 14, David is asking God to hear his petition he has before Him, and to redeem, and strenthen him. David Realizes that God is his redeemer, and his source of strength.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the common thread is the divine power. David seem to bask in God's Word by meditating on it. Yes, I have felt this way. When I get to studying and just meditating on His Word, I just soak it in.The creation strikes David at how great the glory of the Lord is. How awesome He is. David is asking God to keep his heart, his words, and his life free from sin and pleasing to him.

• 3 weeks later...

The greatness of God! As a plant in a garden relying on God's greatness and meditation on his word to give him growth and strength. Yes, sunlight gives off energy and basking in God's creation and being in his presence strengthens and renews me! He is in awe of God's greatness! To give approval to his thoughts and actions.

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do? God is the light of the world in Heaven and on earth. He is perfect in all thing. His amazing love never end, it is like a bridegroom after his wedding. He is joyful all day long. Now that I understand His love I can truly say that His love is so passanent and gentle that I try to stay in his present all day love and just embrace God love. It is the one and only true Love that I can alway be sure of. Davide is asking God for something that we all need to do daily that is to deliver him from all unclean thing not only by saying it but by living by it and believing it truly in your heart that God is real and his word is true. On our final day that it will be pleasing to Him.

• 4 weeks later...

In Psalms 19. The first six verses talks about the beauty that God has created. How He created it in everything, including the night. The beauty that this is written in, makes you appreciate all that has been created. Verses 7 through 14, reminds me of how the laws are good for us. We may think they are harsh but they are not. If we follow the laws and do as we are suppose to they are not harsh, they are as beautiful as the things God has created.

I have felt the beauty of God as I walk through the woods and hear the sounds of the woods, and realize how the birds and animals obey God and they are always singing, rejoicing and happy. How the trees stand tall and bask in His Glory, and how beautiful they are. Those are the times I feel closer to God and want to obey the laws.

• 2 weeks later...

The common thread between the two sets of verses is the amazing wonder of God's word - first spoken through the creation, and second, spoken through his written word. It seems to me that the Psalmist basks in God's word by literally experiencing it. The Psalmist is in awe of God's creation and can't seem to say enough about how amazing it is and how it proclaims the glory of God. In verse 14 David is asking God to be pleased with the words of his mouth, and the meditation of his heart

• 3 weeks later...

This psalm really spoke to me about purpose, obedience and even reaching the lost when I meditated on it.

In verses 1-6 we look at creation and how it shouts the glory of God, from the stars in the night sky to mountains and trees. The awesome beauty that is shown in nature. Often it is this that makes people know that God is real, not someone preaching to/at them.

Verses 7 - 11 talk of God's commandments and laws. Just as the when God created the earth and spoke it into being, the obedience of the atoms etc needed to become a mountain, it's purpose was to be part of that.

So we are no different, if we know God's purpose for us, and we are obedient to him, so we and our lives will shout and scream the glory of God without uttering a word.

• 4 weeks later...

1 tot 6 is about what He made, 7 to 13 about what He said.

The common thread is that it all comes from Him.

The poet loves His Word for it is not only rules but also 'a lamp on his path' (Ps. 119).

The poet's wonder in creation makes him feel his own nothingness.

The poet asks God for a pure hart without sin.