JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Don't Love the World

Q3. (1 John 2:15-16) What is "the world" in verses 15-16? What kind of love of "the world" keeps us from loving the Father?

The world is physical pleasure, craving for what we see, and pride in our achievements and posessions. The love of the world is deception of Gods` love. The greed, unsatified cravings desires of the world keep us fom loving God. :rolleyes:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The world is what is in opposition to God. Satan is influence in the world and we can't serve or love two masters. It comes appearing as light but is truly darkness once we are trapped in the web of deceit. We have to stay in the WORD and love God with all our heart, soul and mind. We love God with our total being, regardless of circumstances. We can't look at the now, we have to look at the future, which is eternal.

Q3. (1 John 2:15-16) What is "the world" in verses 15-16? What kind of love of "the world" keeps us from loving the Father?

The love of the world, it material, ******* after money,position,other people. The list is endless, we are of the world, our old man has habits formed from the world.

But our new redeemed man is of the Lord, our ways should be His ways.

Old things have passed away, behold all things are new

The world drains the heart from God. The more the love of the world prevails the more the love of God decays. In the world we find of the flesh, of the eyes, and of The pride of life. With out constant watching and prayer we can not escape the world or obtain victory over the devil.The things of the world quickly fade and die away. But the love of God shall never fail.

I am beginning to see the World as anything that is in our environment that can distract us from our walk with God. Lately, God showed me that the computer was getting in the way and now it's the TV. I suppose if I had been using the computer to research Biblical things then its use would have been for good, but that was not the case. I just started to watch TV again because the new season started and the Holy Spirit has been really speaking to my spirit about it. This is time I should be spending with the Lord. Some TV would be okay, but not all evening. This is being in the world. I'm exposing my mind to things of the world rather than having my mind renewed by the word. God is calling me to a closer walk. I am grateful when he reveals what needs to be relinquished in my life because I know that He will supply me with the strength and discipline that I need to move to the next level. I find that God is a loving, gentle God. He has prepared me each step of the way, supplying everything that I have needed to get there. On my own, I am not one who has had a great deal of strength, discipline or many of the qualities that are needed for a good Christian walk. I have to ask the Lord for mostly everything. He has been carrying me along.

Anything that is not of the Father, Son, or Holy Spirit...

Any and all idols represent the "love of the world" -- temporal pleasures...and anything that keeps one bound to the earth and does not allow for the eternal love of God (rebellion toward God).

Q3 The 'World' in verses 15-16 according to St. John's teaching are the cravings of sinful man, the **** of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does.

This means that once a man is influenced by the world and all it's riches, he's attention is swayed away from God. He will find pleasures in material things and craved for more accumulation. Trying to outdo one another to be greater and better. He will consumed all worldly wealth to his ability that he hardly have time for his self, family, friends and most of all God. Eventually depriving himself of peace and love of God and neighbor.

The term used here describes the world in its fallen state where corruption and sin now rule, these things are likened to separation from God. We are commanded to love one another as Christ loves us, this being a total commitment,and there is no room for the things of "this world" in this kind of love.

The world is the "Pride of Life" and the "Desires of the flesh". Not people but things and events, social standing, having more. When we place these things above Jesus, then the Love of the Father is not in us and we are without Light.

I think that John is still speaking of brotherly love here, or the lack of it in our society. "The boasting of the things we have and the things we do are NOT of the Father but of the world", he says. Job faced this same criticism when God allowed Satan to take away everything Job had. His friends and neighbors believed that God was angry with him because of his losses. Satan was able to take from Job everything except the love and respect he had for God.

In prosperous times we tend to measure the love of God according to what we have accumulated instead of what we share. What we have and what we do is not the measure of the goodness of God. God is good simply because of His righteous ways, His love for us, and His willingness to forgive our sins. He asks a lot in return. He asks that we do the same, Deuteronomy 30:8"You will again obey the LORD and follow all his commands I am giving you today. 9 Then the LORD your God will make you most prosperous in all the work of your hands and in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your land. The LORD will again delight in you and make you prosperous, just as he delighted in your fathers, if you obey the LORD your God and keep his commands and decrees that are written in this Book of the Law and turn to the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul." (NIV)

Darrell

• What is "the world" in verses 15-16? What kind of love of "the world" keeps us from loving the Father?The "world" is comprised of things, physical or spiritual, that we place before God, which cause us to break His first commandment. John identifies "the world" when he writes "the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the arrogance produced by material possessions". Our "love of the world" (in truth, our enslavement to satisfying our insatiable lusts and desires) redirects our focus inward, separating us from our loving Father.

468x60.jpg

Click HERE to sponsor a child today

we are planily warned n ot to love the world or the things that are in the world,for simple reason that love for the world is not compatible with lovbe for the father.all that the world has to offer may be describe as the **** of flesh,the **** of the eyes,and the pride of life.

it is the will of god that delivers us from the temptation of passing things.

he who does the will of god abides forever.;

we need to stay focus on what the lord taught us about love,love your enemies with all your heart.

The world refers to the evilness in our world. This love includes idol worship through having to be like the Jones even when our salary prevents affording it.

"The World" to me means those things that keep us from living in the spirit. It's anything that we put first or more important than God. It's things we "fill ourselves" up with to satisfy ourselves, because in truth, only God can satisfy. It's those things that secular society says we have to have to "be" someone. It's a selfish focus on "getting" instead of "giving." It's gratifying self in so many ways.

These things keep us from loving God because they become first in our lives, especially when God has told us to seek Him first and all His righteousness and then everything would be added. It's thinking "we" can take control and "get" as opposed to receiving what is good from God who we know personally and follow in love.

Q3. (1 John 2:15-16)

What is "the world" in verses 15-16?

What kind of love of "the world" keeps us from loving the Father?

The world referred to here is everything on earth that is against Christ; any sphere in which the Lord Jesus is not loved and welcomed. I have heard it defined as

1Jn 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

1Jn 2:16 For all that is in the world, the **** of the flesh, and the **** of the eyes, and the vainglory of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

John is talking about the society we live in...the world as it seeks to move away from God and form it's own set of values which are in direct opposition of what we are taught from the Lord. It is the part of our society which is running from the Lord and under control of Satan. The love that John is warning us about is the love that is response to pleasure. If we are taking pleasure in the ways of the world which are in direct opposition to the ways of God then we can not be following in obedience to the Lord. We can not be servants to two masters or can not divide our loyalties. It has to be one or the other with no questions asked.

The world here referred to is the organized system run by Satan that is in oppposition to the love of God and to His Son Jesus Christ. It is all around us and sometimes even in our churches. It is a world of treachery and it is set up to lure people into its trap to become engrossed (enmeshed) so as to take our eyes off God and His Ways and conform to the ways of the worldly system which leads to eternal death.

The love of the world is a deliberate decision to conform to this system in order to satisfy our fleshly lusts. It is a constant battle for believers which is why reading the Word, obeying God and prayer are important every day to keep our eyes on Him. It is important to remain with other Christians, if possible, so we are not lured into this trap. We must set our sights on things above.

We need to pray for each other!!

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

The World is everything except the Heaven, were God Kingdom is, the place that we all pray to be with our Father when Jesus come back. It is the place were we are given the chance to make the choice of doing good or evil. When we love the evil things of this world such as the **** for everything we see, **** for physical pleasure, and pride in our possessions. Things that doesn't belong to us. All of it is what God created.